Hondo's Bar

Nemesis

The NZA

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As do I, but I have it in DC's Amalgam TPB, along with Darkclaw and the cross between Jonah Hex and X-Man (I think) that was actually pretty fun.

:2T: What the fuck was it called? I have to read that just for posterity now.

Apparently there was another mess of comics that came out after Marvel vs. DC wrapped up, apparently 90s comic fans weren't as tired of mediocrity as they'd originally thought. (Then again in the 90s, mediocre comics were top shelf shit)

• 1 month later...

wait, when did #2 come out? i've been looking for that shit. fuhh!

*edit*

Just read it, and the story has deepened--a bit. As JZA wrote, the titular character was given an interesting backstory, and--I'm not sure how big a stone someone will throw at me for writing this---it almost felt like a Garth Ennis tale. Like Ennis light in a way. Which, isn't a bad thing necessarily. Anyone else get that vibe from this issue?

• 3 months later...

So issue #3 finally dropped this week, and, wow. I think Millar is really trying to usurp Ennis' throne as the most fucked up mind in comics.

Hero cop's daughter impregnated by her gay brother. :wacko: That's some twisted shit! The fight sequence w/ the riot cops was also spectacularly gruesome. My guess is Nemesis's disguise is as his philanthropist uncle. Although, I have to say Millar's logic for the hero cop's actions is pretty fucking spotty. There's quite a few holes in how a cop so brilliant can behave so ridiculously idiotic. He really thinks his "henchmen" are not a threat? And he also has an undercover mole in Nemesis' organization, but he doesn't pull him in for de-briefing until after Nemesis escapes prison?!?! That was just fucking retarded.

Also looking forward to Kick-Ass 2 and this new series SUPERIOR Millar has coming out.

ah, was waiting for this one to come up...

yeah, i get that this is exploitation-Millar, but this issue went silly.

ok, i get it, dude can take out 99 riot guards, even if i only saw a baker's dozen. he planned for everything! even having new camrys for every prisoner (props on setting that up in the parking lot without arising suspicion), but personally, i think i drew the line around the vagina-bomb. so its wired to go off if she has an abortion, but not via delivery? uh, ok...i guess they don't have staircases in millarworld. seriously, going from where we started with the japanese top-cop being hit by an oncoming train and all, i get that this is about being more over-the-top than stallone, but we're reaching a point that if the resolution involves wizards, im not gonna have the right to say "this is where we jumped the shark!"

go on & tell me i shouldn't expect more from Millar, but frankly, i was going along for the ride when the pentagon got gassed & then its contents put on facebook; "i kidnapped your kids for a few hours, jerked off your boy, dumped it into the girl, she's already conceiving somehow so yeah VAGINABOMB lol" was just...no, man. no.

yeah, totally gonna read the finale, just not expecting to buy the trade at this point.

VAGINABOMB

NZA. . .

It wasn't a vaginAbomb, was it? I think the doc said if they abort her womb would collapse and she'd be unable to conceive. Yeah, it's still pretty way beyond far fetched and lame as far as logical impossibilities go yet it's not quite as genius bad as VAGINABOMB!

WE ARE VAGINA BOB-BOMB!!! 1--2--3!!!

+1 to JZA's review.

chris -

yeah, it won't divide by zero and cause middle america to implode, it just wrecks her uterus in a way that she'd survive but not have kids, and then he'd be able to leak to the news (assuming dude wasnt dead) "TOP COP DESTROYS INCESTUOUS RETARD-BABY WITH HYPOCRITICAL SMART-VAGINABOMB", which only gets interesting if nemesis runs in a local election against him, somehow, and creates the greatest political ad ever with "WRONG ON RED/BLUE VAG-BOMB WIRES, WRONG FOR AMERICA."

my god, somewhere in here is a story that only Warren Ellis can tell.

again, still along for the ride to crazy-town, just wondering if my conductor is one of those "Frank Miller has only gotten better with age!!" people.

you'd think, but the internet has taught me to never, ever say "no one says this" in absolute terms. the quickest offhand comics example i can muster is the forums at newsarama: despite having actual industry writers/artists/editors, last i stopped there (admittedly a year or more back), there was still a sizable community voice of "BENDIS HAS RUINED MARVEL FOREVER." :no:

also, you managed to enjoy shyamalan's Avatar, so what the fuck do i know

Yeah. Basically what I saw Kick Ass as, you all are now seeing this as. I eagerly await your comparisons to Wanted. :)

Since I became the official custodian of RIO COMICS, LLC, I've been reading some actual (as opposed to virtual) comics, and WANTED was a mini-series I re-read a week ago. I liked it even more than the first time I read it a few years back, and wish the film wouldn't have totally neutered the insanity in order to focus on curving bullets. Meh.

• 2 months later...

2s84pom.jpg

Nemesis # 4 - bwahaha, i just got trolled, hard. Millar is a master of his craft.

DONT YOU GUYS FUCKING GET IT, HE PLANNED FOR THIS DUDE TO TURN DOWN A JOB FOR A DEPARTMENT THAT DIDN'T YET EXIST CAUSE HE WROTE IT ALL TEN YEARS AGO

I feel this review deserves 2 threads:

I liked Wanted though in spite of the fact that it was written by a racist manchild who seemed to learn how to write from Frank Miller's id. Unfortunately even that fuckwit didn't even seem to be present for this book, this book is short-bus-window-licker retarded to a point that it reminds me of mid-90s Image siphoned through a filter made of Mark Millar's black soul. I hope they make the movie of this into something that doesn't even vaguely resemble this book, fuck I wish they'd just take the name "Nemesis" onto old laserdisk copies of Steel and market that as the adaptation because Shaquille O'Neal 3-point shotting grenades is still far more entertaining than any part of this horrible thing. Bring on all the jetpacks, magic looms, and McLovins it takes to make this something actually worth a shit.

Nemesis # 4 - bwahaha, i just got trolled, hard. Millar is a master of his craft.

DONT YOU GUYS FUCKING GET IT, HE PLANNED FOR THIS DUDE TO TURN DOWN A JOB FOR A DEPARTMENT THAT DIDN'T YET EXIST CAUSE HE WROTE IT ALL TEN YEARS AGO

Well, the DHS came about in 2002, so if this thing is set in the "not too distant future" then that little bit about DHS not-existing when he wrote it wouldn't hold. However, I'm not defending the 10 year gaga at all. It's still a lame way to end the story.

Archived