Hondo's Bar

Game of the year 2009

The NZA

GOTY!  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Gonna have to go with Dragon Age. Tought choices though, UC2 was awesome and AC2 was as well. Loved me ODST, though it was never in the running as great as it was. SFIV was fighting bliss tho. Pretty good year for games overall, though it seemed more like a sleeper year for me, a lot of really great games that weren't the major ones I was looking for, (Save DA.) but a lot of great shit nontheless. And Brutal Legend made me damn happy.

But no game grabbed me by the balls like Dragon Age.

MW2's campaign mode bored me. Yahtzee was right on his take on the story. SpecOps, however, was wonderfully challenging. Still need to finish doing that

Oh, and I'm the second vote for Demon's Souls. As replayable as Dragon Age is, so much of it is story that when you play it through again, you have to relive the same ten hours of cutscenes again and again. Demon's Souls is just as replayable, but it's all gameplay, and it keeps getting harder as you go.

curious who voted Prototype? i really gotta give that a go. also, bish is gonna vote Dragon Age so that'll tie it up with MW2 so far. we needs more votes!

that'd be me. i had a hell of alot of fun with this game (enjoyed it much more than infamous). i'm automatically gonna have fun with a game if it'll let me jump 100 feet in the air and 5 blocks down the street. not to mention blow shit up with a tank and shoot folks with machine guns all while in the form of a little old lady. :D technical GOTY for me goes to Uncharted 2 though. Prototype is just a personal fave :drumroll:

I need to play more Prototype. I keep getting sidetracked.

I'll throw it in like once a month, mindlessly go slaughter some folks or maybe do a mission or two. Then there's always something else that pops up.

I'm sure that kind of game starts to shine when you're more leveled up.

I need to play more Prototype. I keep getting sidetracked.

I'll throw it in like once a month, mindlessly go slaughter some folks or maybe do a mission or two. Then there's always something else that pops up.

I'm sure that kind of game starts to shine when you're more leveled up.

exactly, it just keeps getting more fun and crazy. but like you, I woulda voted for Fallout3 if I could. Broken Steel ismakin want those other expansions

just played Dragon Age also. I think Im gonna have to buy that one. Way too much stuff for just a rental

Phew! Man, this was a good year for games. I seriously had a hard time determining my top five favorite games this year. So this year I'm putting down my personal Top 3 of 2009:

3) Street Fighter IV

StreetFighterII.jpg

Already being touted as Fighting Game of the Year by many sources, this game single-handedly reinvigorated the fighting game genre. Hell it even brought Japanese Arcade sticks into the limelight. You couldn't find those a week after they came out. No one, not even Mad Catz themselves imagined how incredibly successful they turned out to be.

Not only did we see a huge resurgence in the fighting game community, we were able to witness it in the form of independent documentaries. Street Fighter IV also brought more attention to the genre via new comers as well as bringing back old-school players who were pretty much about to call it quits... both here and in Japan. After its release in mid February, there was a tidal wave of fighters that followed such as BlazBlue, KoF XII, Tekken 6 and Tatsunoko Vs Capcom (in Japan.. for now). Not to mention the re-release of Marvel Vs Capcom 2, which did exceptional on both PSN and XBLA (both are on "Top Ten" PSN/XBLA best sellers list on each platform). On top of that, each of the fighting games I mentioned above did relatively well because a bigger audience took note of the genre. And I'm certain I'm not alone when I say that alot of it had to do with Street Fighter IV.

Above all the stats I've been throwing down, this was... I'm sorry, IS an amazingly good fighter (I don't want to bore you with its intricacies so go play it and figure it out). I have it on both platforms and it is never short on competition. Street Fighter has the strongest community when compared to any other fighter so you know that you'll run into someone online... that is until next year's

...ok. Here I go....

TIE for FIRST:

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Demon's Souls

Uncharted-2-Among-Thieves-Box-Art.jpgps3_demons_souls_kor_cover.jpg

Shut up! This is totally fair! Why? Because I realized the impacts of both of these games on me while chatting it up with a few Hondonians earlier today. While I thought I was firm on choosing Demon's Souls as my GOTY, I kept thinking about how great Uncharted was with the little time I spent on it. You see, I got Uncharted on Day 1 and just played 'till my eyes hurt. Two days later, I beat the single player and was just beaming as to how spectacular it was. From beginning to end, it was all smiles for me. I loved these characters, I loved the plot, the gameplay and set pieces. Everything! Uncharted 2 was just satisfying all around. Good God!!! Was this game something original? No. Was it it perfect? No. What was it then? It was all around goodness. The things it did, it did well. From gameplay to graphics to story telling, Uncharted 2 was hard to topple from the top this year.

So why is Demon's Souls tied with Uncharted 2 on my list? What I mentioned about Uncharted 2 was just my impressions of it after spending only three days with it. I barely touched the multiplayer and co-op - not by choice, just out of luck. After I beat the game, I let my sister (Senshik) and Nick hold it. Problem is that I didn't get to see the game for another month. Had I held on to it, I think the results may have been different.

There is something to be said about about game that you hate so much at first but then becomes something you can't put down. That game is Demon's Souls. The controls were weird. There wasn't much of a story. It was hard as balls!!! So much so, that you're even dead on cover of the damn game. I'm not kidding! Scroll up and see for yourself! That's no typical nap...that's a dirt nap. How's that for first impressions! That all changed once I got the hang of things.... drastically. I began to figure out the controls and eventually, the way this game is meant to be played. My attacks were more precise. Maneuvering around enemies wasn't getting me killed. Herbs (or grass, as the game calls them) were being saved for emergencies. I learned how to parry correctly (a real game changer). I felt like I was ready to take on this beast of a game, kick it in the balls and laugh at its face. It didn't quite happen like that. Demon's Souls is hard. But not progressively hard like other games which is testament why is so intriguingly awesome. Everyone assumes that after you beat level 1-1 you should move on to 1-2. Not so in this game. And that's where the game gets brilliant. You have to rely on the other poor saps trying hard to beat this game to tell you, via messages on the floor and/or bloodstains of their own demise, as to where to go next. Though you are technically on your own when playing, you get to see others playing at the same time you are via white souls; it serves as a clear reminder that you are not struggling alone. Can't beat a boss on you own? Well you're probably not the only one. Hell, I'm sure of it. Why not summon someone to help? why not a third person? or fourth? This pseudo-MMO architecture is what really made it stand out apart from other RPGs this year. Demon's Souls doesn't try to be an MMO, but again, it keeps reminding you that you are not alone. Your struggles are shared by others and wants you to come together to overcome all challenges it throws at you. That is Demon's Souls in a nutshell to me. And that it why it's up there. While it took me a few hours to see why Uncharted 2 is already game of the year for many, it took me over one hundred hours of Demon's Souls to stand back and look at what I've played to truly appreciate its all-encompassing brilliance.

As for the other games that stood out to me but weren't quite Top 3:

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Borderlands

Assassin's Creed II

Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

After I beat the game, I let my sister (Senshik) and Nick hold it. Problem is that I didn't get to see the game for another month. Had I held on to it, I think the results may have been different.

heh...again, sorry 'bout that. i got my copy now, though!

great post though. im moving my question to the Demon's Souls thread.

Archived