Hondo's Bar

Iron Man 2

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually the first weekend in May is the inaugural release for our US "Blockbuster Season." Last year it was Wolvie: Origins and year before that I think it was Iron Man.

Anyway, I guess I'll just have to settle w/ seeing either the Freddy re-boot or The Losers or possibly both this weekend. :/

this movie was great! I loved it. It was a nice touch to see captain's shield.. :mad: and the end: wow!

+1. fight scenes/villains better than the first, that's what i came for. god, i want an avengers flick now.

Fun stuff! I didn't think it was as good as the first one, though, and I can't put my finger on why...

I was really into all the Nick Fury and Avengers stuff the whole time, that was so great. The most powerful feeling of mine walking out of the theater was excitement for that to come out. Maybe that's why I wasn't as into the movie as the first, some of that stuff felt like a teaser to drum up enthusiasm for Avengers rather than focus on this movie and this story. Like, if I was gonna be that interested in all the Avengers stuff, I'd rather have it be while watching the Avengers movie.

Mickey Rourke was pretty damn fantastic. LOVED him. So much. Everything I want in a villain. Honestly pretty scary, but they spent a good deal of time making you like him (via his interactions with Sam Rockwell, I guess, who was also really good).

And as for ScarJo... how is anyone in nature proportioned like that? How does that happen?? Christ... she has the hugest boobs, that ridiculously tiny waist and then that fantastic ass. That shot of her walking up the stairs next to Gwyneth in the black dresses just made me sad for Gwyneth Paltrow, who looked angular and awful next to her. I shouldn't be made to feel bad for Gwyneth Paltrow.

it seemed a bit slower with the stuff between the iron man sections.

I have to say, it is just me or is marvel just beating the tar out of DC in all things media? They have online comics(fuck it gonna go try that out) they have this whole movie studio set up to create a joined universe so you have tons of cameo's(something sorely lacking in any d/c film thats not animated) and while batman was great all the films out of marvel have been good to great(d/c has lots of misses and just not very many films) Next year will bring us cap and thor, then avengers, we know IM will get a part 3 and hulk will proabbly get a part 2(after avengers they said) and I'm sure cap and thor will get sequels) (god I want spidy and punisher brought under the umbrella) and thats barely scartching the surface of all the ips they have and so far all the films have made good money. The biggest thing they do is all the caemos really makes you want to see the next movie coming up even more!

I also have to say they did all the part with war machine fantasicly and I love justin hammer(ex-wife!), though I keep thinking pepper potts is the weakest link in that chain, is it time to replace gwynneth? or do they just have to write her better?

kinda hoping she gets less time next go around, she's looking to be the next mary jane and we all know how part 3's treat that character.

found this:

In September of 2009 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. has launched a new division, DC Entertainment Inc., in order to better expand the DC Brand.

marvel finally got their shit together with this studio and worked out what DC"s had access to this whole time with AOL Time Werner, but like Marvel, DC has every even half-decent character as a property, just nothing to show yet. theyve got their next Batman, im reading Nolan's to mentor the next Superman flick, Green Lantern's going on, so they're making moves. shame Whedon + Wonder Woman fell through for whatever reason, and if joel asks "WHERES MAH FLASH FLICK" tell him here.

also, +1 to CS' comments on Rourke and ScarJo's curves.

I would consider this a parallel to Spider-Man 2/X-Men 2 in the increase of quality scale. I think I'm the only person who would say that, but we got a lot more action, I like a good detailed story, and Scarlet Johannsen represents everything that is right with this world. I swear, each time her and Ryan Reynolds have sex, somewhere in the world a dove sitting on a bare tree with only one branch sheds a single tear.

I would consider this a parallel to Spider-Man 2/X-Men 2 in the increase of quality scale. I think I'm the only person who would say that, but we got a lot more action, I like a good detailed story, and Scarlet Johannsen represents everything that is right with this world.

I second that

I swear, each time her and Ryan Reynolds have sex, somewhere in the world a dove sitting on a bare tree with only one branch sheds a single tear.

and :mad: that

Loved it! Don Cheadle was a great replacement, and Sam Rockwell was hilarious.

Agreed about the end fight. there was too much buildup between Stark and Vanko for it not to be more intense

Fun stuff! I didn't think it was as good as the first one, though, and I can't put my finger on why...

Very little actual Iron Man in Iron Man 2. That's what I think. Also the narrative was a lot more choppy. It wasn't Tony Stark's film like it was in the first one.

The only fight to have any emotional weight was the initial one

with Rhodey in the Mark II and Drunk Tony

. Also I was a lil' disappointed w/ Samuel L. Fury--he seemed to be hamming it up a bit. I didn't feel like he carried enough gravitas--to use Kiefer Sutherland's favorite word.

Final fight was a wad blower, but I agree it didn't really have as much Vanko vs. STark action as I'd have liked. I also need more Scarjo as Black Widow. I so hope she's in the Avenger's flick. Her fight scenes were outstanding. I love the break dancingesque aspect to her fight style.

Overall Grade: B

Archived