This was easier than expcted

24. Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue

21. Rodrigo y Gabriela - Rodrigo y Gabriela

17. American IV: When The Man Comes Around - Johnny Cash

14. re-foc - Rodrigo y Gabriela

13. American III: Solitary Man - Johnny Cash

7. We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions - Bruce Springsteen

1. Alice - Tom Waits

Ah, motherfuckitalltohell! I completely forgot about Rodrigo y Gabriella! I'd so go back and bump Gaga off the list for them if it woudln't mean Custer and Co. saying I was just doing it to aleviate the flak I've been getting from 'em. But my favorite piece by them is the cover of "One/Take5" on the live from Dublin album (or is it a bootleg?). Thats' the problem w/ having music only on iTunes playlists and not the actual CDs--it all begins to blend.

The new AIC album showed up on a lot of Top 25 lists by the ppl who participate din the RS survey. I'll be honest, I still haven't given it a real listen yet. I'll have to remedy that soon.

I couldn't decide between American III or IV so I cheated and just put Unearthed on my list--although it's somehow missing "I See A Darkness" in that massive 5CD set.

I like there's some Bruce on yours. Of course the whole 9/11 thing made "The Rising" a much more significant album for me.

What kinda music is this Mick Flannery guy? I don't think I've ever heard of 'em.

Also curious why you put Alice at numero uno.

You're telling me you don't like different shit day to day depending on how you feel?

No. What I'm in the mood to listen to can change from day to day, but an album that's had an impact on me won't change. That is to say, the impact or meaning will always be there. That's how I ranked my albums in order of importance. Music lists are all subjective anyway; I'm just asking for a little clarification on your list in order to give it a more personal vibe. For example, you can tell from ASC's list he's a big Cash & Waits fan. But if he hadn't put those albums in order of importance I never would've known Waits held more significance for him some how. On my own list, I've seen Flogging Molly three times live the past decade and each show has been a uniquely memorable experience that's only enhanced my love for their music; so that's why I put them @ number one. Morning View was one of the first albums I bought in Tokyo and the music helped bridge two meaningful points in my life. It was the soundtrack of a transitional time for me by way of leaving college for my first real job and starting my career. To this day when I hear songs from that album I think of my time in Japan, the people the train rides to work, etc. I could've easily put either Drunken Lullabies or Morning View in my number one slot, but there can only truly be one number one, no matter by how slight a margin. So when I write about putting a list such as this in numerical order requires amount of introspection and even self-analysis, I had to do that in order to say which one of these pieces of music truly means the most to me--not only is it music I like or love (b/c as you point out that list grows and changes daily) but why is this music significant to me, why is it meaningful to my life.

That's where lists like this can get interesting for me. I could give fuckall about your current "now playing" list. There's already a thread for that here. I'm trying to understand the person better through their musical preferences over the last decade. I'm just looking to try and have a bit more of a meaningful discussion in regards to music and how it relates to people on a more primal/personal level. And if you can't get behind that then I'm done trying to convince ya. God bless.

Ah, motherfuckitalltohell! I completely forgot about Rodrigo y Gabriella! I'd so go back and bump Gaga off the list for them if it woudln't mean Custer and Co. saying I was just doing it to aleviate the flak I've been getting from 'em. But my favorite piece by them is the cover of "One/Take5" on the live from Dublin album (or is it a bootleg?). Thats' the problem w/ having music only on iTunes playlists and not the actual CDs--it all begins to blend.

That Dublin gig is an official release. I saw them live before they made it big in a small dilapidated old church, very cool gig.

I like there's some Bruce on yours. Of course the whole 9/11 thing made "The Rising" a much more significant album for me.

I have that but haven't really listened to it much, must rectify that.

What kinda music is this Mick Flannery guy? I don't think I've ever heard of 'em.

You wouldn't have, he's an Irish singer songwriter, he's just making a name for himself in Ireland at the moment.

He's a mixture between Tom Waits and The Boss

The Tender - Mick Flannery

Creak In The Door - Mick Flannery

Wish You Well - Mick Flannery

Also curious why you put Alice at numero uno.
For example, you can tell from ASC's list he's a big Cash & Waits fan. But if he hadn't put those albums in order of importance I never would've known Waits held more significance for him some how.

The fuck you mean "somehow"? ^_^

Tom Waits is probably the guy for me, definately in the last ten years.

I've been working on a painting inspired by the song "Poor Edward" from that album on and off for the last three years. It was the first Waits album I heard that I truly got, and I found it justa t the right time in my life, in the right mood for such and album. I spent about three months listening that every night.

No. What I'm in the mood to listen to can change from day to day, but an album that's had an impact on me won't change. That is to say, the impact or meaning will always be there. That's how I ranked my albums in order of importance. Music lists are all subjective anyway; I'm just asking for a little clarification on your list in order to give it a more personal vibe. For example, you can tell from ASC's list he's a big Cash & Waits fan. But if he hadn't put those albums in order of importance I never would've known Waits held more significance for him some how. On my own list, I've seen Flogging Molly three times live the past decade and each show has been a uniquely memorable experience that's only enhanced my love for their music; so that's why I put them @ number one. Morning View was one of the first albums I bought in Tokyo and the music helped bridge two meaningful points in my life. It was the soundtrack of a transitional time for me by way of leaving college for my first real job and starting my career. To this day when I hear songs from that album I think of my time in Japan, the people the train rides to work, etc. I could've easily put either Drunken Lullabies or Morning View in my number one slot, but there can only truly be one number one, no matter by how slight a margin. So when I write about putting a list such as this in numerical order requires amount of introspection and even self-analysis, I had to do that in order to say which one of these pieces of music truly means the most to me--not only is it music I like or love (b/c as you point out that list grows and changes daily) but why is this music significant to me, why is it meaningful to my life.

That's where lists like this can get interesting for me. I could give fuckall about your current "now playing" list. There's already a thread for that here. I'm trying to understand the person better through their musical preferences over the last decade. I'm just looking to try and have a bit more of a meaningful discussion in regards to music and how it relates to people on a more primal/personal level. And if you can't get behind that then I'm done trying to convince ya. God bless.

Unless you can sum it up in like, 5 words, I'm not reading it.

haha TL; DR

Haku - thing is, there's mebbe 10 underground hip hip albums id wanna put on here - just cause there wasnt a whole lot i loved doesnt mean the stuff i kinda liked gets on said list, nah mean? theres a handful of obscure jazz-rap albums but looking at everyone else's list, and knowing im moving away from LL, i think i need to listen to more Radiohead, Muse, Metric etc to formulate a list.

my tastes are pretty eclectic...i know there's like 1 or 2 modern jazz that should get represented, a few techno as well, but ive half-heartedly payed attention to the rock scene since the mid 90s (outside of maybe industrial for a bit past that) so my list wont have a lotta talent that belongs there, as it stands right now. i.e., didnt even know Waits did a new album.

ergo, said list'd look like Logan putting Afroman up there: its likley all he was exposed to/got into. Gorillaz and a few others might make it, but id like to see if they hold up when ive given some others a more fair chance.

Not impossible, just difficult, ya fuckin' crybaby. I swear, buncha ninnies afraid of a little self-examination...

OK, Lonley Planet over Tenacious D? White Blood Cells Over ELephant? Afroman over almost anything else? Forget what I wrote earlier; you're obviously coming from a very sad, dark place and don't need to put yourself through the torture of any deeper self analysis. Good luck with all that.

Blow me. I didn't say shit about your painfully shit-tastic Linkin Park and Lady Gaga. If we want to start mocking people's lists, you've given us a lot of material.

Don't you dare yell at me! Unlike everyone else here I know where you sleep. And I can make your life pretty miserable if I want to. So with that being said, you need to rethink your tone and rethink your words when dealing with me.Love you!

:FHD:

OKeydokey.

• 5 months later...

i still to do this. it's hard ti find 25 albums when so much of your music is from the 80's-90's.

Okay I'll start it...

no order (yet)

Scarlet's Walk-tori amos (2001)

Rockin The Suburbs- Ben Folds

Hail to The Thief- Radiohead

Let Go- Nada surf

Third- Portishead

Monster- lady gaga

Vespertine-bjork (last of the best from her, i think)

Coaster- NOFX

lullabies to paralyze- queens of the stone age (this was hard, i also love songs for the deaf-tough choice...)

Elephant- The White Stripes (love this album, start to finish. just pure LOVE for this album)

The Bravery- The Bravery

okay. i need to stop and think now... I'm already thinking of another 40 albums that i love, so, i need to narrow it down and get back to it.

25.) White Stripes – Elephant

24.) Kanye West - Graduation

23.) Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere

22.) Lady Gaga - The Fame

21.) Tenacious D - Tenacious D

20.) Black Eyed Peas - Elephunk

14.) Linkin Park - Meteora

10.) Jay-Z & Linkin Park- Collision Course

Remind me why I'm allowing you into my house again? :ghost:

Dr. Chikins: You'd take Monster over Fame? Meh, I guess I'm just more into her "older" stuff. ^_^ However, I agree w/ you on Ben Fold's. He should be on my list. And I don't know what's up w/ Custer and the Elephant hate; that was a great album.

ASC: :D

Looking back at my list, I could change a good bit of what is there. (This is why putting them in order DOES NOT WORK!!!)

I'd have moar waits in my one for shure.

Only for those non-committal types.

BUT GIVER OF HOPE!

. . . and "poopfarts."

Elephunk isn't really all that bad, but if i had to go with a post-sellout Black Eyed Peas album, the last one was a bit better, i thought.

oh, you meant the White Stripes...ive not listened to the album it its entirety, i cant speak on it.

• 2 weeks later...
This was easier than expcted

25. Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia - The Dandy Warhols

24. Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue

23. 1919 Eternal - Zakk Wylde

22. Origin Of Symmetry - Muse

21. Rodrigo y Gabriela - Rodrigo y Gabriela

20. Down III: Over The Under - Down

19. White Lies - Mick Flannery

18. Death Magnetic - Metallica

17. American IV: When The Man Comes Around - Johnny Cash

16. In The Arms Of God - Corrosion Of Conformity