Hondo's Bar

Jazz Hop & hip-hop instrumentals

The NZA

I dig this new posthumous Nujabes colab. I just bought it t on iTunes as well. Shing02 has some good rhymes in this one. Even though his pronunciation isn't always the best and his flow isn't anything spectacular, you gotta give it up for the guy for coming out w/ some great rap lyrics that aren't laden w/ pop cultural references--and in his second language no less!

I wanna say those Kenichiro Nishihara AMZ digital DLs were $8 or $9 ea. You can't beat that price w/ a stick for a JPN import. And I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of them.

I need to check out more of this DJ Okawari stuff. I listened to his joint you posted on the previous page and really liked it. I then listened to some samples on AMZ and was less impressed w/ the vocal tracks. He's definitely leaning more towards Nujabes' style than Kenichiro Nishihara. I'll sample his other album on AMZ when I get a chance and the new one when it pops up.

if you like it, hit up youtube; love(sic) 1-3 are similar.

I wanna say those Kenichiro Nishihara AMZ digital DLs were $8 or $9 ea. You can't beat that price w/ a stick for a JPN import. And I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of them.

absolutely that's a good price; i still wanna grab legit nujabes, but even used copies on ebay are often north of $40/each, with hydeout productions seeing none of that money. kills me.

halfway through Okawari album (its not on this PC), really good stuff so far, like his last effort. still trying to find a stream.

i know i've got love(sic) 1&2. not sure if i've 3 though; is that from one of the other tribute albums maybe? if so then i've got it.

only "legit" nujabes i've got are two of the Champloo OSTs. does amz or hydeout not have digital DLs on their sites? i only had tribute albums pop up when i searched "nujabes" on iTunes earlier today. :???:

found Okawari links.DL'd 'em, but I haven't had a chance to listen to 'em yet.

first two albums

new one, kaleidoscope.

lemme know when you do - and yeah, i think 3 was tribute, gotta look it up on the other PC. also, i was totally hoping you'd have better luck finding those on digital release, because nah, everything ive seen (translations of hydeout's stuff, other forums etc) says the original albums aren't on any store yet. this shit's slowly catching on: Kno from Cunninglynguist & his crew started that bandcamp site where a lotta the jazz-rap streams ive posted come from; they only post something ridiculous like 320kb/lossless quality, and sell them cheap too (making nearly 100% profit for said artists without an amazon/apple middleman). i really love that business model and have bought a few things there because i wanna see more places use it. "listen to it free; if you wanna keep it/support it to hear more like it, $5-10."

again though, good on you for grabbing Kenichiro (sp). not to further backlog you, but do you recall if you got to hear either Emancipator or Thallus? i can't recall if we discussed them; a bit slower/more chill but try say Thallus' "here is the life" for something upbeat that i enjoyed.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

aw man, i have a thread like this elsewhere and it's absolutely bombed with quality, i try to repost just my favorite shit here.

what i tend to do is leave linked YT/bandcamp samples on while browsing, since one of the great things about the genre is that it doesnt always need my full attention. did you ever get a spotify key? im always tempted to see what they have & toss together streaming mixtapes if there was any interest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Ah, I still need to catch up on this thread. However, now that summer is here and Nick is too busy traveling to keep feeding this beast, allow me to throw two morsels in.

I'm not much in to the Doomtree MCs, although their two producers Paper Tiger and Lazerbeak do have some good instrumentals.

• Upvote 1

good looks keeping this thing going, hakus! see you & raise:

^i cannot stop playing Jenova 7, they're so good. speaking of, new shit, and it's free too! trying out tonight.

• Upvote 1

Kyoto Jazz Massive? Daaaaamn. Talk about talking me back. Nicely done.

The track by Jenova 7 you posted was just meh for me. I will try to sample more of their stuff though; they're on the right track.

Equilibrium was my fave of all the audio samples you just posted. Faraway was a close second. I must check out more...