Hondo's Bar

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

Benz

I saw this movie, I don't get the hate. It certainly didn't break any new ground, it certainly wasn't an instant classic but was anybody actually expecting one? Okay yeah, he only ever used the claws and that's a fair critique because it did feel kinda cheap but all these reviews make the original out to be some sort of subtle suspenseful masterpiece. Maybe you just had to be there but all I see is a slightly above par 80s horror film that's about as subtle as a Tom Green Show marathon. Great, no, but good? Yeah. Freddy was scary, it offed the annoying characters first including two false-start heroes (both of which caused me to sigh with relief) sure it didn't leave us with two incredibly strong leagues and that kills weren't inventive but shit it's still better than fucking Dream Warriors which was arguably the only sequel in the series worth actually watching.

• 5 years later...

I passionately love the Elm Street and Friday series. The Friday remake was great (which they are doing another remake - set for Friday the 13th 2016, RIP Betsy Palmer BTW). I'd welcome another Elm Street remake - if done right, of course. The last one wasn't blasphemous, it just didn't have bite. In the right hands, w/ todays fx, a film about an untouchable dreamscape killer might be a hell of a ride.

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

The humor-thing, I think was a sign of the times and an Englund thing. I think it should stay that way - close that door. They should do a gritty remake, make Freddy twisted and evil - keep him a sexual deviant, have the audience be revolted. No jokes! No puns! No one-liners! If there are puns, they should be disturbing, crossing-the-line-with-censors, borderline NC-17 kinda stuff. Like, "God, what a sick fuck!" Cringe worthy stuff. Horrifying stuff. No 4th wall stuff. That's how I'd do it, though.

If there are puns, they should be disturbing, crossing-the-line-with-censors, borderline NC-17 kinda stuff. Like, "God, what a sick fuck!" Cringe worthy stuff. Horrifying stuff.

Pretty sure that's the reaction my puns get regardless of the subject matter.

I also would be perfectly fine with a sequel to the Friday the 13th remake. I quite enjoyed that version, it had some fun moments.

Edited by Axels

Hell yeah. The potential for an insane, unique horror movie is totally there. Hope they don't have greedy people in charge and it's just some shallow repackage for mass-market appeal. The fact that they removed Michael Bay from the equation is a good sign / start. It's gotta be bold and unapologetic. It's such a great concept. It'd be a shame to waste the opportunity to make something cinematically different.

"Sleep. Those little slices of death - how I loathe them."

nightmare-on-elm.jpg

The humor-thing, I think was a sign of the times and an Englund thing. I think it should stay that way - close that door. They should do a gritty remake, make Freddy twisted and evil - keep him a sexual deviant, have the audience be revolted. No jokes! No puns! No one-liners! If there are puns, they should be disturbing, crossing-the-line-with-censors, borderline NC-17 kinda stuff. Like, "God, what a sick fuck!" Cringe worthy stuff. Horrifying stuff. No 4th wall stuff. That's how I'd do it, though.

I would honestly miss the humor if they got rid of it completely! But I'm on board with it being MUCH more disturbing. When it gets too silly, it also gets less scary.

A-Nightmare-on-Elm-Street-4-The-Dream-Master-Robert-Englund-Tuesday-Knight-Greetings-from-Hell.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

At this point, I don't think it'd be such a bad idea to just bring Englund back.

Yeah, I think it'd be weird to remake / reboot the first one w/ Englund again - so maybe another straight-up sequel would be cool.

I think the reaction would be huge if they announced another proper sequel to the original Elm St. series w/ the return of Englund more in the vein of the original...ie: Freddy's not a walking punch-line.

The whole Nancy thing is over n' done with - a new generation of kids - and a style all it's own...w/ properly realized dream sequences. It'd be awesome to see Englund bring back the 'slasher of Springwood' to cinemas...if done properly. I'd pay to see that over a reboot.

(shrugs) But, eh - maybe he's done. He kinda seems like it.

Jackie Earl Haley is just fine, there was nothing super wrong with the reboot beyond the complete lack of variety with the kills. Just come up with a better script, put Haley back in the make-up (maybe have him change up the voice a bit) and boom. Only Evil Dead gets to successfully chase old glories, Englund likely doesn't have a lot of movies left in him so let him be.

These (Nightmare and Friday) aren't complicated, complex franchises. You'd think these would be no-brainers in the list of planned reboots n' remakes. W/ all the recycled/sequel-plagued horror crap they keep sticking in theaters - Jason n' Freddy should be staples.

Bunch of new kids: meet the icon - now die. Lather, rinse, repeat. Freddy became a joke and Jason went to space. Reboot - bring 'em back to what made 'em great. Give it 2-3 years, sequel / do it again.

I wonder what in the hell happened w/ the Friday sequel - I thought that reboot was pretty damn successful. I'm dying to know what's going on behind the scenes on the Nightmare camp: Bringing back Haley? Is Haley even interested? Is the franchise even in the right hands? Gotta have people onboard who give a shit and get it - that's when they work.