Hondo's Bar

The Tonight Show

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O'Brien landed the "Tonight" show after successfully hosting "Late Night," which airs an hour later, since 1993. But he quickly stumbled in the ratings race against his CBS rival, David Letterman.

Under Leno, the "Tonight" show was the ratings champ at 11:35 p.m. Eastern, but he proved an instant flop with his experiment in prime time.

This shows that NBC should've never rocked the boat to begin with. Both Jay and Conan were making killings with the ratings when they were at their original time slots. Only when NBC had that paranoid fear of Conan jumping ship from their network when his contract expired that they decided to mix things up, and that's when the shit just started hitting the fan and did not stop.

I just find it ironic that back in 2004, NBC bent itself over backwards to try to keep Conan on their network, and now they could care less, and are willing to burn $40+ million just to let him go.

My personal opinion is that both Jay and Conan should've just stayed where they were. Conan's style of humor is more cruder and more adult-oriented, and he was just more appropriate for the 12:35pm time slot. He was there for 16 years and made a killing. Once they moved him to the 11:35pm time slot, things had to change, and he had to change his act to conform to the Tonight Show standards, and that's where I feel he suffered.

As for giving Jay the 10:00 time slot, though I am glad Jay stayed with NBC, the whole premise was just a dumb idea, and was doomed to fail from the start.

And for all you nay-sayers who wanna hang Jay by his nads because of what happened to Conan, remember this was never his idea. If you wanna crucify someone, then nail up the execs at NBC, because they are the ones who decided to rock the boat and created this mess.

This shows that NBC should've never rocked the boat to begin with. Both Jay and Conan were making killings with the ratings when they were at their original time slots. Only when NBC had that paranoid fear of Conan jumping ship from their network when his contract expired that they decided to mix things up, and that's when the shit just started hitting the fan and did not stop.

I just find it ironic that back in 2004, NBC bent itself over backwards to try to keep Conan on their network, and now they could care less, and are willing to burn $40+ million just to let him go.

My personal opinion is that both Jay and Conan should've just stayed where they were. Conan's style of humor is more cruder and more adult-oriented, and he was just more appropriate for the 12:35pm time slot. He was there for 16 years and made a killing. Once they moved him to the 11:35pm time slot, things had to change, and he had to change his act to conform to the Tonight Show standards, and that's where I feel he suffered.

As for giving Jay the 10:00 time slot, though I am glad Jay stayed with NBC, the whole premise was just a dumb idea, and was doomed to fail from the start.

And for all you nay-sayers who wanna hang Jay by his nads because of what happened to Conan, remember this was never his idea. If you wanna crucify someone, then nail up the execs at NBC, because they are the ones who decided to rock the boat and created this mess.

And for the rest of us who are not 50 years old with a sense of humor stuck in the 80's found Conan to be a much better host.

And for the rest of us who are not 50 years old with a sense of humor stuck in the 80's found Conan to be a much better host.

Why do you feel the need to make such insulting remarks against those who don't share your love for Conan? :wink:

"NBC - Nothing But Cunts" lol

LMAO! How funny, just earlier I was trying to think of a funny acronym for NBC. Good one MH!!! :birf:

I never liked Howard Stern but I gotta give it up to him for this one

I'm a huge Stern fan. He's been eating up all the negative spin Leno's been getting in this situation as he's been preaching that Leno is a souless scumbag for years now ever since he stole Stuttering John away as the Tonight Show announcer. He was invited to be on Coco's last show, but he hates flying and si a big homebody ninny so he wouldn't fly out to LA to do it. Too bad as it would've been a slice of fried television gold had he done so.

Love your new sig by the way. That Kimmel bit was hilarious.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin