Hondo's Bar

The Tonight Show

Conan signed a deal to do a 11pm show on...TBS‽

He'll own the rights to the show itself (like Letterman does with his show, I believe), and George Lopez's 11pm TBS talk show will be bumped to 12pm. Lopez, reportedly, thinks the boost of having Conan as a lead-in will far outweigh the loss of moving an hour later. Of course, there are people saying that being on cable and at 11pm means that TBS sees Conan as something to help them compete with The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, rather than with The Tonight Show and The Late Show.

Thoughts?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
The guy just looks sad. Like the life has been let outta him.

Exactly what I felt through most of that interview. He's just so fucking sad. There's a certain indescribable (but that won't stop me) painful desperation that I noticed a few times when he laughs. Don't know what it is, maybe it's too forced or it goes on for a bit longer than it should (like most of my posts), but it made me cringe.

fuck_nbc-400x400.jpg

• 2 months later...

so yea, this is messed up

Conan O'Brien's Emmy Category Won't Be Televised

ALTI recall the day the Emmy nominations were announced quite fondly, mainly because Conan O'Brien was nominated for hosting an "Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Series." It was a delightful morning: daisies stood up a little taller and dogs only pooped on the streets when their owners had baggies to pick it up. We were all excited to watch Conan win the category, mostly because we knew his acceptance speech would be epic, and even though Stewart and Colbert are great too, Conan got shafted and the only thing that can make him feel better is a winged lady in a flowy dress. And, because the two jabs he'd make at Jay Leno (Conan's too classy for more than that) while he was onstage would prevent the entire award show from being the same monstrous waste of time that it always is.

And now, it is with great displeasure that I stick a sewing needle in your balloon and tell you that category will not be televised. The Emmy producers (who have quite a lot of unordered pizzas headed their way) have decided against airing the announcement of the nominees and then the winner of the late night category. One of Conan's writers (Dean Cole) tweeted, "NOT 'NBC' but the powers that be has sent us an email saying that the category we are nominated for will not be televised this year! really?"

I'm desperately trying to remain calm. Do we think Jay Leno did this? He's made the occasional "woe is me" joke about not being nominated, but behind the scenes he could be really miffed about it! If this is his doing, he's worse than the Wizard of Oz: he's more demanding, unafraid of bribing people, and whines and whines until we submit to him and his big face. How is this NOT something he's orchestrating?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...