Hondo's Bar

Spider-Man 4 No More!

Keth

29fa45j.png

you didnt want Tobey no more, so say hello to the Twilight guy (possibly) !

spider-man-strangled-by-venom.jpg

Robert Pattinson to replace Tobey Maguire in Spider-Man 4?

British actor Robert Pattinson is set to swing into action to replace Tobey Maguire in Spider-Man 4, according to a U.K. report.

The "Twilight" hunk is reportedly the top choice with Columbia executives to star in the film, after Maguire pulled out last week over a reported script issue.

Daily Variety claimed movie bosses are planning to make a prequel about Spider-Man's alter-ego, Peter Parker, as a teenager instead - and Pattinson is the hot favorite to land the role, reports Britain's Daily Mirror.

A source tells the publication, "The buzz in Hollywood is all about R-Patz as the hot, young thing being lined up to fill Tobey Maguire's shoes. It would be a hard act to follow as fans were traumatized at the news Tobey was going.

"His mild-mannered portrayal as Peter Parker and the transformation to Spider-Man kept millions of fans in the cinemas for the box-office smash. He also had great chemistry with Kirsten Dunst, who plays love interest Mary Jane."

But Pattinson faces tough competition for the coveted role - High School Musical star Zac Efron also has his eye on playing the web-slinger.

He says, "I don't know what the chances are to be honest. I assume they're pretty slim. It's a long-shot but if it came down to it, it'd be a dream come true. What young actor wouldn't?"

mind you, its a brit tabloid, so dont jump just yet. but yeah...micheal cera, zack braff, so many other better choices.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What they're not gonna try and snag psuedo-clone Jake Gyllenhal like they were planning when it wasn't a done deal for Tobey to come back for part 2?

Honestly, I don't care who directs this movie, who stars in it, or what it's about. The first time I see this movie it will be bootlegged, I refuse to give Sony my money for this bullshit.

What they're not gonna try and snag psuedo-clone Jake Gyllenhal like they were planning when it wasn't a done deal for Tobey to come back for part 2?

Honestly, I don't care who directs this movie, who stars in it, or what it's about. The first time I see this movie it will be bootlegged, I refuse to give Sony my money for this bullshit.

Today's shaping up to 'agreeing with Baytor day', but yeah. I hope my will is as strong as Baytor's, but shenanigans like this can't be endorsed.

i think we can all collectively agree to forget that happened, if it helps your case.

And you shut your whore mouth. Raimi caved to all your fanboy desires and this is how you repayed him.

PS- Zach Braff is about the worst casting I've ever heard of for Spiderman, for one, how's his hair fitting inside the mask? I'll give you this- if the whole movie just takes place inside his head as an extended fantasy sequence from Scrubs, I'll pay to see that(if only to see Neil Flynn as a Spiderman Villian).

And you shut your whore mouth. Raimi caved to all your fanboy desires and this is how you repayed him.

PS- Zach Braff is about the worst casting I've ever heard of for Spiderman, for one, how's his hair fitting inside the mask? I'll give you this- if the whole movie just takes place inside his head as an extended fantasy sequence from Scrubs, I'll pay to see that(if only to see Neil Flynn as a Spiderman Villian).

I asked for venom, not that piece of shit that was spider man 3, I agree, if he didn't want to do it then he shouldn't have but thats another story.

I think they should look at casting an unknown and really going for the peter parker look, that said I'll wait and see before passing judgement as I never thought batman would get a good movie again.

One thing I wish(it'll never happen) is that marvel would get the rights back so it's stuidos would make the film since it looks like they will be 3 for 3 as of this summer and their movies so far have been awesome.

BTW if you dont' do green goblin or doc ock, who's left for a high school flim? (and yes I think they should follow the ultimite series as a blueprint)

@jax, the fact that so many people know he's spidy in ults is one thing I kinda liked cause it showed how hard it would be to really be able to keep that kind of secert from people like Fury and such and I think peter needs some kind of outlet, someone to tell, or you'd go completely crazy, MJ being his best friend made it a perfect fit(and fuck them for breaking up him and kitty)

I asked for venom, not that piece of shit that was spider man 3, I agree, if he didn't want to do it then he shouldn't have but thats another story.

I think they should look at casting an unknown and really going for the peter parker look, that said I'll wait and see before passing judgement as I never thought batman would get a good movie again.

One thing I wish(it'll never happen) is that marvel would get the rights back so it's stuidos would make the film since it looks like they will be 3 for 3 as of this summer and their movies so far have been awesome.

BTW if you dont' do green goblin or doc ock, who's left for a high school flim? (and yes I think they should follow the ultimite series as a blueprint)

@jax, the fact that so many people know he's spidy in ults is one thing I kinda liked cause it showed how hard it would be to really be able to keep that kind of secert from people like Fury and such and I think peter needs some kind of outlet, someone to tell, or you'd go completely crazy, MJ being his best friend made it a perfect fit(and fuck them for breaking up him and kitty)

Man, FuckaVenom. Most overrated Spiderman villian ever. Well not ever, but I really dug the early promise of Mac Gargan in the suit.

Following the Ultimate template will work about as well as the measures of Ultimate arbitrarily inserted into Xmen 3- all it's going to serve to do is crap on the source material and piss off fanboys weith a chance of confusing the norms. The reason I like Ultimate Spidey so much is because I look at it, and I see that movie Spiderman is out of school, and I think yes, this is the last time I ever have to read about Parker in fucking High School again. I honestly don't see them being able to wring a good story out of that over-tilled earth at this point. The only good thing I see in this is that at least Raimi's Trilogy will remain it's own entity & therefore unpolluted. I swear most of you just hate on Spidey 3 simply because you've been conditioned to by trilogies like Star Wars, Xmen, LOTR, The Matrix... To you fucking Naysayers I point to Mad Max and say have your fucking cake. There was an awesome 3rd movie that kicked so much arse.

Man, FuckaVenom. Most overrated Spiderman villian ever. Well not ever, but I really dug the early promise of Mac Gargan in the suit.

yeah, so...this is where i stopped reading. i was kinda off the internet last weekend, i dont know if it was then people decided apologizing for spidey 3 was now in season or something, but this here makes my head hurt.

29fa45j.png

you didnt want Tobey no more, so say hello to the Twilight guy (possibly) !

spider-man-strangled-by-venom.jpg

mind you, its a brit tabloid, so dont jump just yet. but yeah...micheal cera, zack braff, so many other better choices.

The Daily Mail is by far the most tabloid of all the British tabloids. They are so wrong all the time you can pretty much read any claim the make and know the exact opposite will come to fruition (Knowing my luck this'll be the one time they're spot on)

Edited by alive she cried

yeah, so...this is where i stopped reading. i was kinda off the internet last weekend, i dont know if it was then people decided apologizing for spidey 3 was now in season or something, but this here makes my head hurt.

Spiderman 3's my new Daredevil. The movie was fucking great, and the problems people have with it are the gratuities that fans have been requesting/bitching about for as long as a Spiderman movie's been in the pipeline. If you're bitching about my disdain for Venom, I'm just saying that Eddie Brock stopped being cool after Maximum Carnage stole his thunder, and Gargan's start in the Venom suit(specifically in the road to Civil war oneshot) was so fucking cool it made my head spin, and now Brock's back or something, right?

Does a movie need to ape Kurosawa for you to take it fucking seriously? Christ alive, I hope and pray that the new Spiderman gets Patterson and it's awful, just to gratify the memory of three solid Spiderman movies.

Fuck that shit. A happy Peter Parker makes for boring ass Spider-Man. If I wanted a boring superhero, I'd be a Superman fan. I wanna see Peter at his wit's end, like in Spider-Man 2 where he loses his spider-grip and falls against a dumpster. I want Peter to hate his power and his responsibility, and I want him to hate his life. MJ was his best friend in Ultimate Spidey. Peter should have no friends. Harry can kinda be his friend, but not the kinda friend you can count on to have your back. His aunt loves him and that's all he should have.

PS: Robert Patterson officially got signed. Link.

Edited by Reverend Jax

jesus jax, you should read more ultimate spidey. you're basically vetoing a supporting cast - i dont think angel's saying pete shouldnt have financial woes, awesome villains, etc but i dont want him in a corner listening to linkin park all day, either. i dont like it when more serious characters like DD/bats let their identity go to to many people, but pete revealing it to only his most trusted people - and fucking up in other instances where its figured out - is also part of the "everyman" thing about him.

Spiderman 3's my new Daredevil. The movie was fucking great, and the problems people have with it are the gratuities that fans have been requesting/bitching about for as long as a Spiderman movie's been in the pipeline. If you're bitching about my disdain for Venom, I'm just saying that Eddie Brock stopped being cool after Maximum Carnage stole his thunder, and Gargan's start in the Venom suit(specifically in the road to Civil war oneshot) was so fucking cool it made my head spin, and now Brock's back or something, right?

ok, well...the scars've mostly healed, and you've intrigued me here. im gonna spell out why spidey 3 sucked for me and see what you think. (as for the comics: Gargan's alright, and you're prolly right about post Maximum Carnage Brock, but even so...)

-Sandman retconning: the way they inserted him somehow into killing pete's uncle was forced and unecessary. i get that rami didnt think the crowd'd buy the symbiote changing pete enough without some other motive, i guess, but that wasnt the right one.

-that said, pete's "new personality" was shit. the 90s cartoon wasnt nearly as close to the comics as the X-Men ones were, but Pete being arrogant & damn near killing the Rhino was cool. here, he just got more emo-y. fan & newcomer alike didnt dig it.

-i get the anachronism they were going for by having the kids "do the twist" in the kitchen scene...but it was pretty stupid nonetheless.

-on that note: MJ was alright in 1 & 2. then, at 2's end, she learns pete's secret...and in 3, promptly (basically) cheats on him with his friend, knowing the burden he's got to carry. i cant speak for others, but she was entirely unlikable as a character after that.

-every movie (as i recall) had an "advice from aunt may" scene. this one's was particuarly awful...i recall it basically being as subtle as grandpa simpson telling homer on his wedding night that if he ever winds up in the past, dont change a thing cause itll affect the timestream.

-the less said about venom, the better. i get that rami didnt want the character in there, but half-assing it only made things worse.

-sandman may not be a really fleshed-out villain (and the look was good for him) but he was entirely forgettable.

-finally, you know the "ultimate team-up" with harry osborn in the paintaball suit? that shoulve been fanboy awesomeness. instead, it was painful.

look, your DD movie analogy's not half-bad. on the bottom tier, i have flicks like Wolverine Origins and Matrix Revolutions - where it felt as though nothing went right. or, at least, the things that did were overshadowed by the scenes i cringed, looked away & waited, hoping something great would happen soon and make me forget them.

DD just coulve been far, far greater for a lot less. there's only a few scenes with really fuck it up for me (matt playing grabass in the playground, letting that thug get run over by a train in the intro, etc). spidey 3...its more like x-men 3. both came riding off of greatness and had certain expectations; both, you can go back and look at the trailers and see what looks like it'd be an awesome movie. seriously, try that. go watch the spidey 3 trailer, then the flick later, and tell me if you got the movie you thought you were going to get/wanted. if you can say yes...shit, you'd be the first ive heard of.

you shouldve seen us when we left the theater. joel rushed out just to turn around and say "what the fuck was that shit? what happened!?" and no one could make eye contact, like a bunch of kids leaving a lecherous old man's summer camp.

ps

Robert Patterson officially got signed. Link.

albundynoooo.gif

PS: Robert Patterson officially got signed. Link.

I call bullshit on your link, Jax. No one else is reporting this. Looks like it's still just speculation at this point that he's signed to play Parker.

However, Marc Webb has officially signed on as director for Spidey4. His film (500) Days of Summer was a great film and creatively blended humor and drama about a guy down on his luck over a girl--sound familiar? Now we have to wait and see if he can successfully add in action to the mix.

for one, we dont have to stick with high school this time around, necessarily. if we do, though...what's your call, sassy cat?

am i "sassy cat" in this scenario? i'm not sure if i like where this is going...

anyway, i'd prefer an unknown for new-parker. i sure as shit woudln't put glittery vampire boy anywhere on my dream spidey casting list though.

Yeah, IMDb is not a good source, they dig up any rumor they find, they're less reputable than wikipedia.

Also, Nick, all that bullshit you mentioned is nitpicking. If the first two movies hadn't been legendary it wouldn't have bothered anyone (except the MJ thing, that WAS bullshit, but I let it go, you should too) Venom was far from as lame as he's ever been, you've apparently seen only his high points, I've followed the character through everything he's been in and it's taxing on my soul sometimes (that's why I learned to stop worrying and love Anti-Venom, I hated him at first but now I've discovered he's a much cooler Brock-Venom than the black costume one ever was, plus he looks better) so yeah, Topher's Venom was far from half assed, in fact it was damn near up to par. You're probably thinking of the awesome one from the animated series... he didn't get used alot in any other medium.

Spider-Man was about 30 minutes too long, and it had certain weak plot elements, almost all of them involving Harry and Flint Marko but upon rewatching, even the retcon worked, in fact I daresay it made Spike's (that's what the official movie game called him, so that's the name I'm using) death more disturbing as he was basically innocent and it made Peter feel even worse about not helping him (they really should have touched on that aspect more.) I think if they'd shaved off just about anything involving James Franco not in Goblin mode it would have been three times better. The rest is just something you get used to.

And even with all its downfalls and my initial disappointment upon watching it the first time, I still walked out of the theater liking it better than the first X-Men movie.

P.S. This is going to be the worst fucking movie ever!

Jax and anyone else who cheers on High School Spider-Man, fuck you! Do you know what's interesting about teenagers? Fucking nothing! The high school angle was the worst part about Ultimate Spider-Man (his annoying ass almost made the game difficult to play, luckily it's only 15 minutes long anyway) Oh well, I guess this means World of WarCraft is happening sooner rather than later and maybe Raimi can finally pencil in Evil Dead 4 sometime (or at least another horror movie of some type)

Edited by Iambaytor

so many things to get to,

1. Sassy cat is now haku's nickname ;) (finally something to beat papa bear)

2. @Jax, next please read what I wrote before you respond, I know, reading is hard but try. I never said that peter should be happy and nothing go wrong in his life as he skips through it, Nick hit it on the head, Spider-man works so well because he's the opp. of DC heros(Icon and symbols vs. real people so to speak) Batman isn't a person, he's Bat-man, Spider man is peter parker and he's the everyman, he's what we would be if we got super powers(we'd fuck up alot) and that only works if he has as strong supporting cast who happen to be his friends and family, Dark peter is cool.. for about 1 or 2 issues, after that I want regular peter(plus super dark peter isn't going to be wisecraking while fighting, a spider-man trade mark) leave the brooding to batman and daredevil.

3. @jza and baytor... you can't both have seen the same spiderman3 and I want to see your version, it was a complete abortion of what it could of been, the Venom arc needed to be done over 2 films(the first one he gets the suit, fights a villian and venom gets made at the very very end leaving a whole movie of venom goodness) you can Nick was nitpicking but he's right and those things ended up destorying what could have been a very good film.

4. That idea for a new film series makes me want to claw my eyeballs out and thats coming form someone who enjoyed smallville(the first few seasons anyway) in fact that might just work if your doing a tv series, also the film needs a lot of swinging around town and mid air fights and you proabbly lose that on that budget.

As to peter in highschool again... I think the character works very well in that seting and I think it speaks to all of us there, We all remember going through that awkard phase where nothing seemed to go right and we felt out of place, It's something adults remember and those in highschool are going though so it speaks to a pretty wide audiance and it's proabbly better for a couple of films before they move away from it(though the villian should not be a high school kid and should not be venom in high school) Also I think someone said it best when they should do the origin through some very limited flashbacks and start off with him having been spiderman for a bit.

Angel, I read what you wrote, but you're assuming that if I have read it, it would have been so compelling as to make me instantly agree with you, and it is not so compelling. It just doesn't change the fact that when Peter is married to a supermodel, has a steady income and has enough friends that know his secret identity that he can hold dinner parties and openly discuss his wall-crawling day at work, then Spider-Man ain't interesting. There were times in the comic when Peter Parker's civilian life was cozier than mine, so how the hell am I supposed to feel that his power is a burden or a curse? Anytime I see a Peter Parker that I wish I could be, then Peter Parker's life is too fucking happy. He's supposed to be a reluctant hero, not an idol.

Having Peter in high school has the benefit of having to deal with the social bullshit of being a nerd. Having him out of high school has the benefit of having money real problems. Either way, he should not have a strong social support system. Some hero stories work great with a bunch of in-the-loop allies; like Buffy for example. As time went on, the Slayerettes/Scoobies grew, but it helped the series for Buffy to have alot of allies. It does not work for Peter Parker.

But to each, their own. Some people want their webslingers to be billionaire playboys without a care in the world, saving the world just for thrills. Other people like a happy medium. I like having a Peter Parker whose life I don't envy.

Edited by Reverend Jax

you shouldve seen us when we left the theater. joel rushed out just to turn around and say "what the fuck was that shit? what happened!?" and no one could make eye contact, like a bunch of kids leaving a lecherous old man's summer camp.

firstly, :FHD:

Secondly...I still cry at night sometimes when I think of that day :(

It was almost like waking up the Christmas after you learn Santa isn't real to see all the shit your parents got you that you didn't want and the cut outs of the circled toys of the sears catalogue in the bin in the kitchen over a bottle of Jack.

Edited by archangel

I wrote

the fact that so many people know he's spidy in ults is one thing I kinda liked cause it showed how hard it would be to really be able to keep that kind of secert from people like Fury and such and I think peter needs some kind of outlet, someone to tell, or you'd go completely crazy, MJ being his best friend made it a perfect fit(and fuck them for breaking up him and kitty)

Angel, I read what you wrote, but you're assuming that if I have read it, it would have been so compelling as to make me instantly agree with you, and it is not so compelling. It just doesn't change the fact that when Peter is married to a supermodel, has a steady income and has enough friends that know his secret identity that he can hold dinner parties and openly discuss his wall-crawling day at work, then Spider-Man ain't interesting. There were times in the comic when Peter Parker's civilian life was cozier than mine, so how the hell am I supposed to feel that his power is a burden or a curse? Anytime I see a Peter Parker that I wish I could be, then Peter Parker's life is too fucking happy. He's supposed to be a reluctant hero, not an idol.

Having Peter in high school has the benefit of having to deal with the social bullshit of being a nerd. Having him out of high school has the benefit of having money real problems. Either way, he should not have a strong social support system. Some hero stories work great with a bunch of in-the-loop allies; like Buffy for example. As time went on, the Slayerettes/Scoobies grew, but it helped the series for Buffy to have alot of allies. It does not work for Peter Parker.

But to each, their own. Some people want their webslingers to be billionaire playboys without a care in the world, saving the world just for thrills. Other people like a happy medium. I like having a Peter Parker whose life I don't envy.

now the fact that it wasn't going to win any prizes is my fault I admit, the fact that you have less ablitly to comprehend is your. I'd like to see where I said he needed to be a world troting playboy(no really I'd like to see how you got there from what I said)

I said I like how he was portorayed in the Ult. line(hey what do you know, he's in highschool, silly me again) Just because you wouldn't want peter's life doesnt mean he has to be in a cornor cutting himself to feel alive(unless the powers mean thats the only way you wouldn't want to be him, can't help you with that.) and I'm unsure how not wanting a strong social support system = no support system, The fact is that your going to have aunt may who's always been a strong support system(we can agrue how but thats the truth) having friends in high school is pretty normal and I'd be very surpised if you could find someone who wouldn't tell anyone(just about everyone has to get shit off their chest). Also being in a realtionship in the middle of life has to some extant become a normal part of the spidy mythos(and I do agree that MJ as a supermodel was always been a bit strange)

Frankly I think the disconnect here is that I think peter can find some happiness in the middle of all the shit that is his life, most of us are happy dispite the huge crap we go through, the only other option is him sliding into a depression all the fucking time and becoming a very dark character(and frankly emo). 2. he's pretty much always had a support system(at least from where we would have been reading, I'd have to look to see what he did very early on) His aunt may, harry, the various people at the bugle, in his super hero life you have people like the black cat, johnny storm and various others.

I'll be honest either you havn't read the comic because you think he's some crazy depressive loner cutting himself(yest I'm overstating my point before you bitch about that) but he's always had friends, he's always tried to look at the good things in his life and he's always tried to stay positive(hence his rep for wisecracking, well that and because it's a way to handle the fear) or you think that any happiness in his life means you want to be him. I have always felt balance is a large part of who spider man, he's supposed to be us, the everyman, and that means some support system and happiness in his life, this isn't Batman.

now the fact that it wasn't going to win any prizes is my fault I admit, the fact that you have less ablitly to comprehend is your. I'd like to see where I said he needed to be a world troting playboy(no really I'd like to see how you got there from what I said)

I'd like to see you point out where I said YOU wanted him to be a world trotting playboy. I said 'some people', and I also said 'some people want a happy medium.'

Anyway, I never said I wanted him to be dark, depressed, emo, or slit his wrists. I said his life had to suck. One thing that's great about Peter Parker as a character (when the story's being done right) is that even though his life sucks alot, and it seems like every chance he has to get something he wants, the responsibilities of being Spider-Man snatch it away from him just as its within reach, he's still a good guy, a nice guy, through and through. Sometimes he'll want to be a jerk, he'll want to take the easy way out, but most of the time when he tries, he just can't do it cause it's just not who he is.

Also, you say you'd be surprised to find anyone who wouldn't tell anyone this secret. Perhaps you're projecting a bit. Whether of not YOU can, there are alot of people in the world who are capable of keeping secrets, even more who are responsible enough NOT to make the conscious decision to invite a girl over to your place, take her into your bedroom and tell her (talking of Ultimate obviously), a fully-thought through, premeditated plan to tell her something that could endanger her life, and frankly, everybody he knows' lives. Some people CAN keep that a secret.

Now, I get the idea of Nick Fury finding out. Firstly, Peter didn't confess it to Fury. Fury's a bonafide spy. Secondly, Peter would rather Fury not know, after all, it doesn't exactly work to his benefit. Also, I don't think it's a problem for Spider-Man to have allies, like Dr Conners for example. It's just I think it takes away from the soul of the myth when he's got a bunch of friends that know he's Spidey that he can rely on to be there for him.

I would finally like to quote the second sentence I wrote in my first post in this thread.

I know not everyone agrees with me on this one, but I subscribe the the school of thought that says there is an inverse relationship between the true spirit of Spider-Man and how many friendly characters know Peter is Spidey.

This is my opinion and my take on the Spider-Man mythology. I think it's a critical in whether any Spidey incarnation or story arc works and is true to the spirit of the character, and it's that spirit specifically that makes Spider-Man stand out among all the modern comic heroes. If you disagree with me, it does not mean I'm saying you're wrong. If I disagree with you, it does not mean I'm not reading your posts or don't understand. You obviously find something else in Spider-Man that you like about it that has nothing to do with what I like about it. Fine. I'm still going to hope the movie stays true to what I think i the core of the character.

Edited by Reverend Jax