Hondo's Bar

How Have you NOT seen this movie!?! v. 5.0

Which of these movies have you NOT seen?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a simple enough poll: you vote for all the films you HAVE NOT seen!

Before you complain about a missing film from this list (Like The Godfather or Pulp Fiction) make sure you've voted on these other genre specific polls:

v 1.0 Potpourri

v 2.0 Science Fiction

v 3.0 Comedies

v 4.0 Musicals

This go round it's gangster films, a genre I'm fairly familiar with (only film on this list I haven't seen is Bonnie & Clyde). I tried not to limit it to only Italian Mob movies, but let's face it--they dominate the genre. I also know there are no Asian/Yakuza/HK films on here. For one I really couldn't think of one genre film that's a must see. I also couldn't find any on the IMDB or AFI lists that I might've missed, so I figured lets just leave that as a genre unto itself for another poll, shall we all you Hard Boiled fans? And I've included some of the classic black and white films of the genre--which I'm sure few to none of the *pew-pew-pew-OMFG!!CGI* gen that dominate Hondo's have ever seen. However, you chilluns need to get yer edumuhkayshun in this genre at some point. :sarcasm:

ive seen an awful lot of these, but there's more on here that i hadnt than idve thought, still.

No, I haven't seen Carlito's Way. I've always meant to.

I'm very pleased to see Sexy Beast on this list. That one gets overlooked too often.

Sexy Beast is one of my not-seens. and Carlito's Way is among my personal favorites as a film, but not in a way id argue that it belongs on any one else's. Pacino again butchers an accent in his own special way, and the film's totally cliche about a man and his code tragically outliving his era, etc, but i do so adore tales like that that function to cross the bridge i have in my head of samurai flick > western > gangster flick as a form of mythology/morality tales. Even when Carlito is obviously misplacing trust or making the wrong decision, i empathize with the notion of being paralyzed to take the other, for being who he is. just a great flick.

DoJ - its been a while, but would City of God count as a gangster flick, or one with elements thereof, like uh, slumdog millionaire kinda had the brother as a gangster/antagonist to the tale?

ps donnie brasco, bronx tale etc still get overlooked, by my count.

Hold the fuckin' phone. Someone here has neither seen Goodfellas nor Godfather II yet managed to see Gangs of New York? I'm guessing this must be a chick who saw it for Leo. To this person I say right this cinematic travesty posthaste and see what happens to Fredo when he goes fishing. Now, I say!

Hold the fuckin' phone. Someone here has neither seen Goodfellas nor Godfather II yet managed to see Gangs of New York? I'm guessing this must be a chick who saw it for Leo. To this person I say right this cinematic travesty posthaste and see what happens to Fredo when he goes fishing. Now, I say!

CITY OF GOD OR GFTO!!!! :D

it is, its just been a while. i recall its excellence, but focused on a lotta the social commentary type shit. again, either way, this thread got you to watch it, so its a victory.

axel's next though, he's got a lotta greats missing.

it is, its just been a while. i recall its excellence, but focused on a lotta the social commentary type shit. again, either way, this thread got you to watch it, so its a victory.

axel's next though, he's got a lotta greats missing.

I think you're more remembering the fact it took place in the slums of Rio amidst such poverty, but the social commentary was a distant second to the story of drugs and gangs in those slums. Axel should definitely put this one (along w/ prett ymuch every other film on this list) in his "to see" queue.

• 1 year later...

Archived