Hondo's Bar

Digital Comics

The NZA

Comixology suspends Marvel giveaway

Digital comic book distributor Comixology slams the brakes on a time-limited giveaway of 700 Marvel digital comic books following overwhelming public interest that crashed the company's servers.

Following a catastrophic server crash that occurred hours after Marvel Comics and Comixology announced a massive giveaway, Comixology has suspended the promotion.

Comixology CEO David Steinberger acknowledged that his company had "let down" customers. Previous orders under the "Marvel Comics #1" promotional, time-limited giveaway would be honored, he said, and he asked fans to fill out a form so they could be informed when the promotion returns.

However, because of Comixology's unique place in the digital comic book distribution business as an iTunes-style marketplace but with few, if any, direct competitors, other publishers sales were likely impacted by the server crash.

When asked to comment on that aspect of the story, Comixology representative Chip Mosher said in an e-mail that he could not comment further at this time.

One comics publisher, which spoke to CNET on the condition of anonymity to protect its relationship with Comixology, confirmed that the server crash has prevented them from making any digital sales through their Comixology-powered app. At the time of writing, the servers still were not functional -- nearly 24 hours after the servers went down.

To our customers:

It’s been a whirlwind weekend, and we’re fresh from SXSW where Marvel Comics launched their Marvel #1 promotion featuring over 700 free comics distributed via our platform.

We expected a high degree of excitement for the Marvel initiative – and had believed ourselves prepared – but unfortunately we became overwhelmed by the immense response. We’re still struggling to keep our systems up.

The result is that you aren’t getting your comics when and where you want.

We don’t like letting you down. Our teams are working around the clock to resolve these issues so that you can have the experience you’ve come to expect.

To that end, we’re pausing the Marvel Comics #1 promotion for the time being. For those of you that want to take advantage of the offer – you will get your comics! Until we are able to reinstate this program in our systems, please click here and fill out this simple form, so you can be informed as soon as there is an update.

We’ll be communicating with you as often as we can and deeply appreciate the outpouring of support we’ve seen from our customers while we right the ship.

David Steinberger

CEO and co-founder

comiXology

Alright, that's a pretty good way of salvaging this, I suppose.

I don't know what to do with myself in a post-demonoid world.

Save me, Logan.

Or is that just a crack at my trophy card background? It's a kpop rhythm game but half the songs are in english. or unvocalized. You racist.

Edited by Maldron

• 5 weeks later...

No easier way that I saw. There might have been an "add all" button, but I don't really need shit like The Rawhide Kid (not that there's anything wrong with that). I think I got a little over 500 out of the 700.

And sorry, that's 615 titles, not issues. Lord knows how many actual comics there are.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

75¢ Marvel Unlimited 1 Month Subscription!

Found out how to do it using the slick deals link

http://slickdeals.net/f/7454864-marv...h-for-0-75?v=1

At the bottom of this page there's a gold "gift it" button for the annual plus subscription. I just kept opening new links from there, logging into my Marvel U account, and gifting it to another email address of mine. I ticked the box that said "email to me" and after each purchase I would get 1 confirmation email and 1 email with the marvel unlimited 1 month code. Also make sure you switch to monthly subscription when you checkout and pluggin the code marvel75. It should knock your order total to $0.75

http://marvel.com/comics/unlimited?u...homepage_promo

Direct link to gift/checkout:

https://marvel.com/checkout/gift/DC-GV01/0

• 1 month later...

Is Marvel Unlimited worth the money? I wasn't sure about it until a friend of mine showed it to me on his Android device. That Dynamic Panel mode or whatever is pretty slick. Could be perfect for my tablet and would save me having lots of dead trees about the place.

It'd probably work out at about 5-6 euro moneys for me which seems pretty rad for unlimited comics.

• 5 weeks later...

So I took the plunge on Marvel Unlimited. I went for the yearly subscription of €60 as an early birthday present to myself. I've been using it for the last two weeks now, and I have to say I'm absolutely loving it. So far I've been ready mainly early Punisher, some early Spidey and rereading Ultimate Spider-Man, although I'm up to where I jumped off back in the day, really looking forward to continuing that and onto Miles Morales.

I haven't really collected Marvel comics monthly since around 2004, so there's loads of stuff to dive in to.

Stuff that are on my list to read:

Frank Miller's original run on Daredevil.

Brubaker and on to Waid's run on Daredevil.

Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men.

Brubaker's run on Captain America.

BKV's run on Runaways.

Spider-Man 2099.

Age Of Apocalypse.

Universe X and Paradise X.

Secret Wars

Dark Phoenix.

General characters I want to read more of

Pre and post Ennis Punisher.

Pre Clone Saga and post 2004 Spider-Man.

Pre Onslaught and post 2004 X-Men.

Avengers.

Deadpool.

Guardians Of the Galaxy.

Iron Fist.

Dr. Strange.

Black Panther.

Captain Marvel and Ms Marvel.

Guardians Of The Galaxy.

Howard The Duck.

Man Thing.

I also intend to read all the big events that have happened since 2004.

So ah, any suggestions where to start? Which characters to add? Which to drop?

lotta quality there m'man, good lord...to thin out a bit though:

- Don't read any AOA after the 90s

- Spidey post clone saga was mostly butt until JMS' run in the early aughts, Ultimate notwithstanding

- same with Xmen honestly, ultimate shined early on where the main book dragged around. i loved it again around the Messiah War trilogy or whatever (mid aughts i wanna say?) but fell the fuck off again after that...a safer book you might dig on the side is X-Factor, the Peter David run of the last so many years, ending just a while back...2T put me onto that one with the prologue, Maddox...really dug it.

Oh and try a few issues of X-Force/X-Statix during the Alred (?)/Milligan run, really fun & unique stuff.

Cheers, X-Factor is one that I had in mind but wasn't sure where to start. The original AOA was the only one I was interested in really, I think I remember one from early 2000's that was pretty shit. Just googled it, it was Apocalypse: The Twelve. I'll check out X-Force and X-Statix as well.

What about Avengers, Black Panther or Dr. Strange? I realised that while I had read issues of Spider-Man and X-Men that featured these characters, I never actually read their books.

• 4 weeks later...

Sonic and Mega Man Worlds Collide Vol 1 Free (and Other Comics)

I guess Comixology is going through one of their things, but currently offering a handful of comics for free on their service.

Including the first Sonic/Mega Man crossover, at least the first volume, and a really fun read.

https://www.comixology.com/redeem?ut..._redeem_sxsw15

Use code COLLIDE

Some others

https://twitter.com/comiXology/statu...77160363282432

https://twitter.com/comiXology/statu...64512573837313

https://twitter.com/comiXology/statu...47655192084480

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...