Hondo's Bar

Captain America

The NZA

So, saw Cap, and I gotta say I was kinda disappointed, especially after everyone has been beaming over it.

Don't get me wrong I liked it, ESPECIALLY the first hour, which was brilliant (Tucci and Jones were GREAT!), but shortly after the procedure the movie kinda falls apart in my opinion.

I've compiled a list of some of the things which REALLY bothered me:

Issue 1:

We don't really see Cap training once he's the Super Soldier. An untested Cap, fresh off his tour selling war bonds goes AWOL and saves Bucky and all those Hydra prisoners. Next scene, BOOM, in the suit throwing the shield around like a pro. Cap throwing his shield is like Spidey Webslinging or Wolverine popping his claws, it is arguably his most defining move/skill. Showing him just doing it all of a sudden, with no training or rational for it, and in a series of MONTAGES no less, cheapens it for me. Which brings me to my next issue...

Issue 2:

Montages. I understand the need for montages in film, especially a film like this. It just sucks that so much of the cool action from the trailers were just from montages in the film. Good action scenes are about pacing, build up, and payoff. Cap taking out a mammoth tank is cool by itself but it is so much more satisfying when a scene like that is part of a paced scene with the proper set up and payoff, otherwise you might as well just save your 12 bucks and just watch the trailers over and over again.

Issue 3:

Lack of characterization of Cap's squad. Follow Cap, Bucky fighting Nazis Hydra alongside thier fellow soldiers: Brit in a Beret, Black guy who speaks German, dude in a bowler hat and, everyone's favorite, Asian from Fresno.

Issue 4:

Other than his Tour selling bonds, Cap doesn't participate in World War II. Not at all. He doesn't punch a single Nazi or particpate in ANYTHING that aids the actual war. Hell, RED SKULL kills more Nazis in the movie than Cap!

Issue 5:

The Cosmic Cube. We are to believe it will play a major role in Avengers (based on the Thor post credits scene) as well as in the future of the Marvel Movie Universe. That first scene where Red Skull procures it gives it so much weight as well, but really, it didn't have to be in the movie AT ALL. If you were grabbing popcorn and missed that scene you wouldn't even know what the big deal was about the cube.

Issue 6, and to me the MOST GLARING:

Why exactly did Cap have to sacrifice himself?

Because all of New York was in danger!! I guess Cap forgot the bomb intended for New York was already destroyed. The manned bomb, by the way, which requires a human pilot, of which there are no longer any left. There was absolutely no immediate threat to warrent his sacrifice. Christ, this is the ONE THING above all else that they had to get right. The culmination of the film and the set up for all the Avengers movies which will follow, and they totally dropped the ball.

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

Issue 6, and to me the MOST GLARING:

Why exactly did Cap have to sacrifice himself?

Because all of New York was in danger!! I guess Cap forgot the bomb intended for New York was already destroyed. The manned bomb, by the way, which requires a human pilot, of which there are no longer any left. There was absolutely no immediate threat to warrent his sacrifice. Christ, this is the ONE THING above all else that they had to get right. The culmination of the film and the set up for all the Avengers movies which will follow, and they totally dropped the ball.

In a huge-ass ship that is powered by an energy source that very little is known about? Who knows, it could've done more damage hitting new York than one of those manned bombs would have. Just sayin'.

hopefully, we've seen some of the cooler bits hit the cutting room floor in the past, too.

having just seen X-men: first class, i'm quite happy with my :wolvy: cameos, although i did tell newt i was hoping they'd fight at the bar outta nowhere

might be remembering this wrong, but didnt Stan's cameo in DD or one of the others only make the DVD? its like when N-sync didn't make it in as jedis; you just know that shit would've improved things.

In a huge-ass ship that is powered by an energy source that very little is known about? Who knows, it could've done more damage hitting new York than one of those manned bombs would have. Just sayin'.

Two things.

The plane was never set to crash into New York. It was on autopilot and New York was just the first stop on Red Skull's Annihilation World Tour.

The Cosmic Cube was no longer on board.

Two things.

The plane was never set to crash into New York. It was on autopilot and New York was just the first stop on Red Skull's Annihilation World Tour.

The Cosmic Cube was no longer on board.

I think it was still on board when he started guiding the ship away. As for the other, bah! I refuse to give in to your logic!

My guess is the plane was enroute to NY because the director needed to create a clear correlation between The Red Skull and Terrorists(the guys we hate) as opposed to the white-proud culture carving it's way across the planet in the name of a single world power. Your government's blurring that line more and more every day. And I still want so desperately to be a part of it.

Wasn't the plane was being powered by the Cube?

Not quite. As I understood it, the plane & the remaining

weapons it was carrying were powered by energy previously harnessed from the cube. Thus both were still a threat to NYC or wherever it crashed. And even if the weapons or plane didn't explode on impact, it's still a giant fucking plane and would do major damage to a populated area.

The plane was on autopilot, so it wasn't going to crash. If the cube was powering the plane and you wanna say the plane 'started crashing' when the cube was removed, well, if they were over the arctic that means they were somewhere between 2500 and 4000 miles from New York. How the plane's supposed to fall horizontally, for several thousand miles....I just don't know.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Poster1-

Yes, I enjoyed the movie immensely, for the plot and the action, of course. And the snappy dialogue. (Actually the plot, action, and dialogue were all great.)

But unf. EVEN THE GUY WITH THE HANDLEBAR MUSTACHE AND THE BOWLER HAT. Also the British guy. And everyone else.

Poster2-

what the fuck is up with bowler hat guy anyways

Poster3-

What the fuck is up with the bowler hat guy? That’s goddamn Dum Dum Dugan, that’s what’s up with him. The best damn circus strongman/commando you’re like to see. When Nick Fury needed some help to start kicking ass through Europe in WWII, Dugan tossed his barbells aside, headbutted an SS officer, and said sign me up. When Dugan ran out of Nazis to fight, he decided to spend some of his time hunting down a little beastie you might have heard of, goes by the name of Godzilla. He helps run S.H.I.E.L.D. He hangs out with Squirrel Girl, who we all know is the most dangerous being in the Marvel universe. Yeah, he’s got a bowler hat- because he’s always ready to kick some ass and looked dapper as fuck while doing it.

Deal with it.

Heh.

Ben & I saw this one tonight...I know, we're a bit late to the game.

We saw Thor last night and now all I have left is to see the two Iron Man's and I'm caught up, I think...that dang trailer for the Avenger's got me all excited...

Was is OMG awesome? Eh...it was ok. I'm glad I caught it at the theater that charges $3.50 a ticket because they play movies that have long since been pulled from theaters (they were also playing HP2, Zookeeper & Horrible BOsses)

I did like Hugo Weaving, though...