Hondo's Bar

Playstation Move

The NZA

Lotta big news fresh off GDC; let's just copy from Kotaku.

PlayStation Move: Everything You Need To Know 500x_movehead.jpg

Yesterday, Sony took the wraps off the PlayStation Move, which some people will call Sony's next big thing in video gaming, and others will call a shameless Wii Remote rip-off. Here's everything you need to know about it.

WHAT IS IT?

The Move is a motion-sensing peripheral, which in conjunction with the PlayStation Eye Camera (which is already on the market) allows precise motion-controlled video gaming on the PlayStation 3.

The Move can, in some cases, be paired with the "Subcontroller", a nunchuk-like device that sports an analog stick and d-pad, which allows the Move to be used with more "traditional" titles like first-person shooters or role-playing games.

Unlike the Wii Remote, which is powered by regular batteries (or in cases of third-party solutions a rechargeable battery pack), the Move is fuelled by the same lithium ion battery that runs your PlayStation 3's DualShock 3 controller, meaning it'll have plenty of shelf life between recharges. As a bonus, the Subcontroller also has a lithium ion battery.

Both the Move and Subcontroller are wireless, feature rumble and will sync with your PlayStation 3 via Bluetooth. At launch, they will be available in black, and black only.

HOW DOES IT WORK?

It uses a three-axis gyroscope, a three-axis accelerometer, coloured sphere and a terrestrial magnetic field sensor to pin-point the location of the Move, which allows it to easily track any kind of movement the player makes, whether it be slow or fast, small or sweeping.

The Subcontroller also features a full-fledged motion sensor, just like the Move wand itself, unlike the Wii Remote Nunchuk's gyroscope which is fairly primitive in comparison.

Interestingly, every game we played at GDC required the user to calibrate the Move before playing. It wasn't a big deal, but switching between games quickly it was a bit of a pain.

500x_movelogo_01.jpg

WHAT GAMES ARE THERE?

Along with an announcement that some "regular" PlayStation 3 titles will support the Move (such as SOCOM 4, EyePet and LittleBigPlanet), Sony unveiled a range of games built specifically for the new controller's motion-sensing capabilities.

These are:

- Motion Fighter

- Move Party (NEW: More hands-on impressions.)

- Sports Champions

- TV Superstars

- The Shoot

- Slider

In total, Sony says that "more than 20" titles will be released featuring PlayStation Move support by the end of fiscal year 2010.

500x_move4_02.jpg

WHO IS SUPPORTING THE MOVE?

Aside from Sony's own internal studios, a total of 36 companies have signed up to develop and publish games for the PlayStation Move. These companies are:

* 505 Games U.S.

* Activision Publishing, Inc.

* AQ INTERACTIVE Inc.

* ARC SYSTEMS WORK CO.,LTD

* ATLUS Co., LTD.

* Bigben Interactive

* CAPCOM CO., LTD.

* CCP

* Crave Entertainment

* CYBERFRONT Corporation

* Disney Interactive Studios

* Electronic Arts Inc.

* FromSoftware, Inc.

* Game Republic, Inc.

* GUST CO., LTD.

* HUDSON SOFT CO., LTD.

* IREM SOFTWARE ENGINEERING INC.

* Koei Co., Ltd.

* Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.

* Majesco Entertainment

* Marvelous Entertainment Inc.

* NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc.

* ONGAKUKAN Co., Ltd.

* Oxygen Games

* PAON CORPORATION

* Q Entertainment Inc.

* Q-GAMES, LTD.

* SEGA CORPORATION

* Sony Online Entertainment

* Spike Co., Ltd.

* SQUARE ENIX GROUP

* TECMO, LTD.

* THQ Inc.

* UBISOFT

* Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

* Zoo Entertainment, Inc.

500x_move2_01.jpg

HOW IS IT DIFFERENT FROM THE WII REMOTE?

While the Move looks similar to Nintendo's pioneering 2006 motion controller, there are key differences, like a reduced button count and better motion-sensing. For more on this, read up on Stephen's early impressions of the Move.

500x_move1_01.jpg

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?

The Move will be available in three packages: a standalone Move (for consumers that already own a PlayStation Eye camera), a bundle that includes the Move and PlayStation Eye, and a hardware pack that includes the Move, PlayStation Eye and PlayStation 3 console.

While pricing details for the standalone pack and PS3 bundle are unavailable at this time, the Move + PlayStation Eye option will cost $99.

500x_gd_05_02.jpg

WHEN IS IT OUT

The PlayStation Move will be released sometime this Fall.

wait, what does bethesda have to do with any of this?

i gotta say, they showed some games at GDC, im a little more interested than i was. the fighting one looked interesting...like the Natal, this is basically wait-and-see at E3 as far as software to justify the entry price. Sony went the more traditional way by keeping wands/buttons, but 1:1 ratio and actual developer support might make it fun, might make it niche, depends on how hard they push, i suppose. ill give them that it lends itself better than the completely hands-off Natal approach, which could be brilliant or flop, even speculating at this point seems silly to me given how far everyone was off with the Wii.

speaking of, i read MS isnt looking to take wii ports, which is prolly a good thing for them trying to stand out, but there's a few id love to see move over (No More Heroes, any excuse to replay RE4, few others). i dunno if that's Sony's stance or not yet.

if this gets Dead Space compatibility then I'm sold. i'm still waiting for motion boots so a full on kickboxing game can be realized. playing Mortal Kombat will get alot more interesting. all this motion stuff that gets released seems to fall into gimmick mode so hopefully this'll work out.

if this gets Dead Space compatibility then I'm sold. i'm still waiting for motion boots so a full on kickboxing game can be realized. playing Mortal Kombat will get alot more interesting. all this motion stuff that gets released seems to fall into gimmick mode so hopefully this'll work out.

A kickboxing game could work on Natal without boots.

aw, the activator was kinda awful, though. great concept, but about as responsive as the power glove, except, all over. i wanna say i recall trying a demo with streets of rage years back, it didnt go well.

kickboxing/fighting games need buttons. the only good that comes from hands-off fighting games is youtubing of the inevitable injuries trying to jumpkick and such. Dead Space, or a horror line of that quality going with this tech could be so awesome, but id really hope it was someone innovative like Suda51 to jump on the idea. ive not yet played a few of them, but there's a slew of seemingly mediocre horror titles recently on the Wii.

• 1 month later...

Some neat stuff, Dr. Marks(lead on the tech) said they hooked up the ps3 to pc's so the artists could use the move to do stuff in Maya(3d animation suite) and said it works very very well in alot of things. Also there's talk of milimeter and sub-milimetter preformance and I think head tracking as well.

I really really wanna see more of this tech on pc for more everyday stuff then I do games.

• 1 month later...

Press Release says 31 games coming this year

Sports Champions™, September 2010

Eye Pet™, September 2010

Kung Fu Rider™, September 2010

Start the Party! ™, September 2010

echochrome™ 2 (PSN), September 2010

Tumble (PSN), September 2010

Hustle Kings, October 2010

PAIN (PSN), October 2010

TV Superstars™, October 2010

The Fight: Lights Out™, October 2010

The Shoot™, October 2010

High Velocity Bowling (PSN) October 2010

Heavy Rain®, October 2010

Sly Collection, November 2010

SingStar® Dance, November 2010

LittleBigPlanet™ 2, November 2010

Beat Sketcher (PSN), Fall 2010

SOCOM 4, Fall 2010

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 11 (Electronic Arts), September 2010

Toy Story 3: The Video Game (Disney Interactive Studios), September 2010

The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest (WB Games Inc.), September 2010

Brunswick Pro Bowling (Crave), September 2010

Resident Evil®5 Gold Edition (Capcom), September 2010

Time Crisis: Razing Storm (Bandai Namco), September 2010

NBA® 2K11 (2K Sports), October 2010

John Daly's ProStroke Golf (OG International), Fall 2010

Racquet Sports (Ubisoft), Fall 2010

R.U.S.E. (Ubisoft), September 2010

Kung Fu LIVE (Virtual Air Guitar Company), October 2010

Deadliest Catch: Sea of Chaos™ (Crave), November 2010

Disney Tron Evolution the Video Game (Disney Interactive Studios), November 2010

and for next:

Sorcery™, 2011

Heroes on the Move, 2011

Killzone® 3, 2011

list actually isn't bad, curious to see how it's looking to be implemented in some of these (LBP2? level creation, sure, but platforming? huh).

also, for Maldron & wizard sorts:

they also have Dead Space: Extraction coming with a Dead Space 2 bundle, but I was hoping for the move to be compatible directly with Dead Space.

High Velocity Bowling needs the Move. I like the game, but the controls for it are really bizarre

• 1 month later...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qt8AXOLmkM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qt8AXOLmkM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qt8AXOLmkM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Archived