Hondo's Bar

The Big Lebowski

I guess I'm a minority because I don't think the big lebowski is that great? I've seen it several times and all people tell me is: "Man, you just don't get it."

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a really fun movie, but people act like its the god damn 2nd coming.

I think what resonates with so many people is the archetype of The Dude. In some Zen circles, The Dude is seen as a Zen master. In fact, I have pretty good book titled The Dude and the Zen Master which is a dialogue between Jeff Bridges and Bernie Glassman, who is considered by many to be a true Zen master.

I was reading The Geography of Genius for work and a Greek poet who was awarded a MacArthur genius award actually compared Socrates with The Dude. I think that in many ways The Dude resonates with people in a way that they can't always articulate, but it is still way down deep in the Collective Unconscious Mind that just seems to get to many people.

There's really nothing to get though and I think maybe that's Bindy's problem because people keep insisting that there IS something. The Dude is a slacker. He smokes weed, he drinks white Russians, he sleeps on a Persian rug in the middle of his living room, and does nothing. The movie is a big mystery novel where

the mystery doesn't exist!

It's just about a guy who has dedicated his life to not doing anything trying to do something and fucking it up because he is completely out of his depth. It's actually very much akin to Burn After Reading just with more of a charming and important central character. But it's gained this big second life as this cultural phenomenon in stoner culture (people are convinced it's a stoner movie because The Dude smokes joints occasionally during the film), zen culture apparently, and people who like to drink and bowl. The Dude is the 60s/70s version of what people now consider the archetype of the "Millenial slacker" and there's not a whole lot more to it.

There's really nothing to get though and I think maybe that's Bindy's problem because people keep insisting that there IS something. The Dude is a slacker. He smokes weed, he drinks white Russians, he sleeps on a Persian rug in the middle of his living room, and does nothing. The movie is a big mystery novel where

the mystery doesn't exist!

It's just about a guy who has dedicated his life to not doing anything trying to do something and fucking it up because he is completely out of his depth.

See? That I appreciated about it. I was like yeah, that's something different. Something more.. real. Not everything has to have a nice bow on it Hollywood, but yeah...the people who are into this movie are REALLY into it and just make it awkward for me when I try and explain I don't think it's that great. I just think it's ok. And obviously I need to catch up on Preacher because I only watched a few seconds of that clip and I feel like Cassidy might be my spirit animal now.