Hondo's Bar

Nintendo 3DS

gunsmithx

heads up, logan & co - more free games on the way

Bit more details on the NES VC, courtesy of Nintendo UK's PR

The programme contains two elements:

1.Beginning Sept. 1st, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in Nintendo eShop for the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, will be released as paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors can download them in advance of launch for free. Once the paid versions of the games are released in Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost.

NES VC is getting launched officially sometime within this year.

Free VC NES games for 3DS (from sept 1st):

Super Mario Bros.

Super_Mario_Bros._NES_ScreenShot1.jpg

Donkey Kong JR.

Donkey-Kong-Jr-3.png

Balloon Fight

Balloon-fight-12.png

Ice Climbers

iceclimber-1.gif

The Legend of Zelda

title.gif

+ 5 more

Free VC gameboy advance games for (Nintendo Ambassadors) 3DS:

Super Mario Advance 3

_-Super-Mario-Advance-3-Yoshis-Island-GBA-_.jpg

Mario Kart Advance

crate_mariokart.jpg

Metroid Fusion

34-Metroid-Fusion.jpg

Wario Ware

warioware_2.jpg

Mario vs. Donkey Kong

mario_vs__donkey_kong.jpg

+ 5 more

...i'm jelly. Logans, as long as a 3DSXL doesn't drop, i'll likely buy your shit off you when the better revision comes out!

Cool beans!

So far, the shop is kinda underwhelming in terms of 3DS specific games, although there are a lot of 3D videos and trailers and such. It's virtual console consists of Gameboy ports right now, looking forward to the NES/SNES launch. It still has all of the DSi Ware games available, but it kinda sucks to play a lot of them when you know your system can do this.

Lately, I've just been all about the Netflix. I mostly just watch TV on it in bed until I fall asleep.

damn. everytime i wanna say "wasn't the DS around here at that time" (in terms of software, not so much sales) i look it up and realize it wasn't. they really need to get some of those strong 1st party titles out the gate, and more 3rd party ones too.

i recall taking notice of the DS when bish showed me Phoenix Wright and Trauma Center, and then Space got me onto Hotel Dusk. none of those were 1st party! where's the square & enix remakes of FF/DQ/etc? can Atlus put out another SMT, even if it's a spin-off? im wondering if dev costs went a bit up on this platform or what, still assuming this'll be a very awkward first year.

*edit: oh crap mario + mario kart due out in like the fall? toss on animal crossing and maybe that'll do it.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata takes 50% pay cut in order to reduce the cost of the 3DS.

The 3DS has grabbed headlines recently, though not in the way the Nintendo would have wanted. The troubled device will be getting a price cut in August, dropping from $249.99 to $169.99. The move means Nintendo will be losing money on the hardware, which in turn effects the company's earnings forecast. Today, company president Satoru Iwata spoke to shareholders in Tokyo, accepting responsibility for the 3DS and its recent troubles. In addition, Iwata said that he and other executives will be taking significant pay cuts.

For Iwata, that translates to a 50 percent cut from his annual salary of approximately $2 million. Directors close to the project will see a 30 percent pay cut, and other executives will get their pay reduced by 20 percent.

"We decided that if we take brave measures now," Iwata wrote in a letter, "there's high likelihood that a many players can enjoy the Nintendo 3DS in the future."

gun is so lucky i cant find his "pricedrop? this is nintendo LOL" post right now

Iwata being humble is like an inverse sony this gen. that's a great price, and honestly, i don't think it's unreasonable for them to expect to gain momentum with it again once mario/kart/etc start dropping. i keep reading people saying the answer is to stop selling the DS/i, which makes as much sense as telling sony in '07 to put god of war 2 on the ps3 and stop selling ps2's. you know who killed their moneymaker when they couldn't eat off their current-gen table? sega.

the trick is to move units without many 3rd party games, and try to attract them to leave the cheaper, making-a-killing-for-seven-years-now DS games at $40 a pop. i just hope they don't go dropping the XL model a week after i buy in for persona or luigi 2 or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome aboard!

I got Ghost Recon at launch. Graphics wise, it's clearly a DS port that they slapped a little (very little) polish on and tossed in some depth. The 3D effect is pretty subtle and it's one of the few games where I leave it jacked up all the way most of the time.

It's actually a pretty fun little turn based strategy game. It has a very gradual learning curve, breaks you in slow, but once it gets going I had a lot of fun with it. It gets pretty addicting, and I found myself staying on the toilet long after I had finished my poops a few times.

Trying to find something to compare it to is rough. Metal Gear Acid maybe? Never played that one. The turn based gunning reminded me of Operation Darkness, but nothing else about the game does.

Totally worth the price, IMO, as long as you aren't expecting a 3rd person shooter or something with good graphics.

The 3DS added a much needed system transfer option, so when I upgrade my games will be coming with me this time.

Generally I trade in, because there's almost always a big incentive to do so when a new system drops. You're better off just buying one (and doing it before the 11th, NO PRESSURE!)

Oh yeah! I forgot it has a friends list thingy. I don't know what my code is, I'll post it when I walk upstairs.

Then you'll be able to say "Oh, look. Logan must be making a poo or getting ready for bed."

Lately I've been playing that new download 3D Golf game a lot. I'm not a big fan of harsh Tiger Woods style sim type golf, but that one is pretty cartoony, with leveling and special powers and shit. I think it's all I've played for the last couple of days.

• 4 weeks later...

Awwwww SHIT! Today is the day that is that day. Metroid, Super Mario Bros., Ice Climber, The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II : The Adventure of Link, Balloon Fight, Donkey Kong Jr., NES Open Tournament Golf, Wrecking Crew and Yoshi.

All free for the taking, and roughly half of which I actually give a fuck about.

Really glad they followed through with this, and a day early no less!

PROTIP/FAQ for those that qualify but can't find the games: Go to the e-shop, go all the way to the left under settings, click downloads. They show up at the beginning of the list. Just redownload 'em.

yeah, it ain't pretty, either. i wanna say glad i waited, but so far this thing's looking to be for MH3: the vita strikeback or whatever, i guess we'll know more after TGS.

if they do a redesign for next spring/summer 1 year later, it'd be kinda craz, but i don't know how much rebranding they can/would want to do, once they get mario kart and some other titles out the gate. just gonna wait & see for now.

ruh-roh

Nintendo's engineers are reportedly spending "sleepless nights" fine-tuning the add-on, which will sell for "about $10".

The source added that the platform holder has asked "a select group of developers" to work on titles for the peripheral, though third parties are growing increasingly disgruntled at Nintendo's approach.

As well as the dual analogue attachment, the insider also claimed that Nintendo is preparing a second iteration of the console for release in 2012.

Of course they are! A new DS comes out pretty much every year.

You have to accept that, in a year at most, you won't have the best DS on the market. It's been that way ever since slim.

Waiters gonna wait! Forever!

Now all this nonsense talk of "radically toning down" the 3D is irritating, because I'm not going to trade this one in if they do that. There are some games I like to have it on full blast. If they skimp out on the 3D, they are douches.

true. it all comes down to if you're locked out of anything in particular you'd want to play...i remember lots of people up in arms when the DSi dropped, and i'm sure there were some quality exclusives there, but i never saw anything that i felt i missed out on. the other side of the coin here is that if they gain the kinda traction they're expecting & look at a successful relaunch, i bet it's not gonna be as cheap as they're offering right now.

Did they ever follow through with DSi only carts? I'm not sure they did. The DSi's whole thing was the e-shop/virtual console, which I guess made at least several hundred games DSi exclusives.

You slept on the DSi? Damn, that was a cool little system. You lost your GBA slot, but you got an SD card slot, which is infinitely more useful. Some fun little downloadable apps (I had a lot of fun with the free animation one). And a shitty web browser, if you're desperate or you didn't have a fancy phone at the time (like this guy).