Hondo's Bar

Cliques @ Hondo's & newer members feeling left out

hondos & member cliques  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Jumbie's ideas seem kinda fun. More WW games particularly. Though I screwed up royally on the last one, I really had fun and feel like it was a great way to interact with people. Made me excited to be here, and more eager to post in other threads.

Like a lot of people are saying, a certain degree of it is inevitable. People get close with people, and that's just the way it is. I think the idea is that maybe more should be done to foster those connections, and that would make people stick around more and be more active.

And not that a certain degree of abuse isn't gonna happen, or that it shouldn't. People that make it here need to have to be able to withstand a little bit, and be able to stick up for themselves.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never even realised this was a thing. I always assumed people had their social groups outside the board and were most likely to talk amongst themselves. No surprises there. I would always beeline st

I generally stick to the 'entertainment' stuff on here...I guess the 'penis' oriented stuff.  I'm more passionate about that stuff than I am about politics or religion...or sjw stuff.  (shrugs) that's

Post it anyway. You never know if someone genuinely wants to know about it unless you do. Hell, I can't even mention the countless things I've been turned onto just because someone mentioned it in a thread...(Rodrigo & Gabriella???).

What I would like is for the new ones to not feel overwhelmed by the big dogs on here. I was steamrolled by Jax when I first joined (sadly lost in the crash of '04) and for a minute I was very weary of coming back to take more abuse...but I did. And look, it's going to be 6 years in a few months!

I like Jumbie's ideas and wouldn't mind being a part of the welcome committee. :whatsthat:

I do believe the Rodrigo y Gabriella was my doing, iirc... But yeah, I'll set up a world cup thread a week or two before it kicks off and see how that goes.

What we need is a cruise director.

Do explain?

hey, so, not trying to do another wall o' text, but after seeing the point several times, i really wanted to bring this up: most of us're saying politics is a turn-off due to the dynamic between those two. alright, but for those keeping score, guess what? even they've finally gotten tired of it. arch has enough on his plate in real life where he's more content occassionally doing his thing in person/facebook these days, and jax is without someone to bait. matter of fact, i think the last few months in politics has been uh, me, tulip, ly, and generally more casual talk/interaction with several of you from this thread.

i'm saying: if you guys wanna talk politics on any level, go for it! now's the time to do so. ive been talking to jumbie about my dillemna of trying to foster open & intelligent discussion without enforcing a code of conduct, but he's right: most of you seem to wan to talk in there, but have been since discouraged. those factors aren't there now, let's try this!

jumbie: i too like your idea. its kind've been there to a degree; i.e., MH brings on a newbie, she introduces them & such usually. but shadowing them like a mentor (if they like), that could be cool.

we used to also ask new members to fill out a member profile (long before all the social networking sites) as a way to get to know them. do you guys think we should, when asking them to make a welcome thread, also get them to fill out or at least talk about their interests & the like, maybe get some more common ground there?

I like jumbies idea of pairing up. Like a hondos pen pal. Get to know everyone more. I mean, even if you get paired up with someone you've been posting with for years, there's still stuff you don't know about them. I'd even help set it up. Or even play a game that involved partners.

I wish to re-emphasize that, just like the classroom, pairs are for a month or so or for the duration of the project.

After all nobody wants to be stuck with pink hulk for eternity and then we'd have drama with people requesting partner changes etc.

It's strictly Square Dance style. Heck, we could call it Hondo's Square Dance...

I wish to re-emphasize that, just like the classroom, pairs are for a month or so or for the duration of the project.

After all nobody wants to be stuck with pink hulk for eternity and then we'd have drama with people requesting partner changes etc.

It's strictly Square Dance style. Heck, we could call it Hondo's Square Dance...

Sounds good to me!

I thought you, Isa, and MH already were the Hot Costner Welcoming Committee.

...hrm. A cold day in hell, maybe. :crush:

I do believe the Rodrigo y Gabriella was my doing, iirc...

Yeah, that's why I posted it...

Aw, I'd love for Pink Hulk to be my pen pal & BFF for life!

Also great to meet up with some of the hondonians who sadly aren't around as much as they used to be, mainly Jesi, SB, Signal, and i know Benny and Dyana are here. Its true that hondo's breaks up with a lot of people, and there are times where i feel apaty/boredom with this place, hell it still feels weird to me.

i miss Sig, his lack of participation hasn't gone unnoticed by myself. i was excited to amanda back as well. for those of you who think you aren't missed, there are those of us who look forward to seeing your return. (ahem Nanno...).

<3

As far as politics go, some folks take stuff way to seriously there. If i want serious I'll go to MSN or Fox. It's like you choose a side, and if it's the wrong one, someone will be sure to start the name calling. I'm all set with that, so i stay out of it. not everyone here has the time to sit on the internet and judge people all day. I'm one of those. I have my thoughts on subjects, and I'd rather keep some of them to myself, but i do read and honestly, sometimes it does prove to be not only entertaining, but eye opening as well.

again: if ya'll are inclined to participate in politics - even casually - you're not gonna get a better time than now. you can really reshape the place with your efforts in there in a way that wasnt possible for years.

Some really good suggestions there guys.

The welcoming party should ideally have people long established here, and people who are recent enough.

I know i talk to some of the inactive hondonians via other means, was talking to Boogie the other day. As the old BT ad said "Its good to talk"

again: if ya'll are inclined to participate in politics - even casually - you're not gonna get a better time than now. you can really reshape the place with your efforts in there in a way that wasnt possible for years.

Remember, Politics belongs to everyone:

11lugsz.png

Edited by Jumbie

I don't feel excluded much at all.

Regarding politics, I steer clear mostly because as an Australian, even though I try to stay up to date with your happenings, the fact that your policies don't really effect me doesn't allow me to critisize your government. I could try to engage you guys in political debate from an Australian perspective, but it's pretty much the exact opposite of your political scheme, and really - who of you would care? (We have an opposition leader who is gearing up for an election this year who is likely to be voted in as a result of how the current party handled the GFC. He has vowed to bring back our dark age industrial legislation laws which were universally hated within our country, has not yet released his political policies and operates with a fundamentalist religious agenda that terrifies me........ still with me? didnt think so!)

Something that really frustrates me here on hondos tends to hapen alot. People who join and come at an established community like that over zealous new girl in high school who wants to exchange bff bracelets and organise a sleep over right the fuck away. My advice to newbies would be to take a breather, suss Hondos out, and make your mark gradually - or hook up with one of the founding members! haha - worked for me!. Dont try too hard too soon. One girl comes to mind - she tried to win us over immediately with her out-of-this-world and loudly announced vanity. She looked like an awesome person, and on reflection maybe got some harsh treatment, but her narcisistic approach put almost everyone with a vagina here right off. Don't do that newbies. Be gentle. The girls here can be rough if ruffled. Be nice and they're amazingly lovely.

Even if I haven't posted much, I've always kept up to date with Hondo's. For the most part, I check in a few times each week - I only post if I have something to contribute, or if im in a fun and upbeat mood. Or if i'm feeling like a right bitch that wants to take a swing at something soft. If you feel like its cliquey, i'm sorry. People like MH and Arty are like loveable walmart greeters here - they welcome you and point you in the direction of anything you might need. Other people like a bit of friction to keep this place active, dont take offence, and if you feel left out, try to meet as many Hondonians as you can in real life - it's an awesome experience, and I'm lucky to have met some absolutely amazing people through Hondo's that I truly consider friends. It's still an awesome thought to know that theres plenty more on my to meet list...

Man, Doj & I must be like the same person, right up to the point of sharing the same hole. When I'm not caught up in the momentum & comradery Hondos offers, I'm where Doj is at. And when I say that I mean now for the first time ever, I feel like this fucking gimp from across the pond with nary a soul to relate to and all I can think is 'fuck Hondos'.

Shit, I gotta talk to that guy more.

Man, Doj & I must be like the same person, right up to the point of sharing the same hole. When I'm not caught up in the momentum & comradery Hondos offers, I'm where Doj is at. And when I say that I mean now for the first time ever, I feel like this fucking gimp from across the pond with nary a soul to relate to and all I can think is 'fuck Hondos'.

Shit, I gotta talk to that guy more.

The weird thing is that for the past year or so, I find myself relating to you much more. I wish I could have met you guys when you were in Miami, but unfortunately I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown (for lack of a better term). The irony is that soon after I found out I had a life threatening medical condition (I should be better soon), most of my fears and panic attacks went away.

Your presence has been missed though, at least by me.

Edited by The Vagrant

im gonna be honest: i felt isolated a few times, when some of you seemed to want this board to drift from its original direction by way of stunting the upper-echelon forums, and by others (including you) who argued vehemently about the importance of publicly gossiping about your friends/co-hondonians. i can relate to isolation.

but you, post h-con, have been angrier/worse to deal with than about any other time you've been on here, man. you come on and talk trash where people are enjoying things (kick-ass, for one), insult everyone, then continue reading it, seem to enjoy it once its past your preconceived notion, and move on. Scott Pilgrim's the one thing this hasn't been true with, and you've made a freaking symbol of the thing, that we must all be reprobates to just read something and enjoy it without checking with some counterculture or another to see if that's ok. what's worse is, your ego's been crazy there, cause every time you've come in, you've felt the need to remind people of your baseless feelings on things like that and just shit on those still enjoying it....as if everyone has to enjoy the same things to relate/get along.

i'ma be honest here: you're a friend, and i thought we were pretty cool after h-con. but until you come down from whatever pop culture high horse you're on that demands people see things your way, i'm alright with you staying on twitter. philosophical isolation from the board, i get (and still feel); pop culture isolation? if that's as deep as a bond goes, how strong was it to begin with...?

anyway, arnah made some fair points. you dont necessarily have to be humble coming in the door, but i suppose with any community, it helps.

I was gonna point out that obvious drawback of comfort levels(for me) earlier. The more comfortable I get, the more of a dick I tend to be. It's all intended as harsh but playful ribbing(replace your snark or Haku's fingersnaps or Ly's wit with outright hostility), but more and more I'm seeing it's really not coming across that way, so examining my behaviours then leads to examining the relationships I have with those around me, which then brought me to a point where the six degrees seem so much worse.

well...well, yeah. i mean, i was thinking " i should PM JZA this rather than air it out" but you've got a choir of people saying you're missed, and you brought up isolation, thought it was worth throwing out there.

us crossing the six degrees affects a lotta shit i dont think about. from your absense here & some facebook stuff, i assume its about one thing (Pilgrim) but im not a mind reader. you take guys like arch who're a bit part here but because of that & their persona, they can air out/talk more on FB than here, its like a double-edged thing. i should figure you're just taking the piss but yeah, im gonna draw all kinds of conclusions and connect dots (isolation :: we're a bunch of indie fucks) where maybe i shouldn't.

not sure how to get around this. i propose more town square threads, maybe some hot chick thread activity to bond over.

What I want to bond over is the making of Sexy Hat the new MM for his synopsis of Preacher. But you know what? I'm gonna bite that fucking pillow and have me a read of Scott Pilgrim because all bullshit aside, you and Baytor talk it up fairly highly.