Hondo's Bar

Cliques @ Hondo's & newer members feeling left out

The NZA

hondos & member cliques  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 3 months later...

I never even realised this was a thing. I always assumed people had their social groups outside the board and were most likely to talk amongst themselves. No surprises there. I would always beeline straight towards the Irish chapters posts. All two and a half of us who're still here (I count as half).

I remember discussing this with Haku a while back on Skype actually. I keep in touch with Hondonians through Facebook mainly and post on the board when the mood takes me once every few months. Usually when I see a movie or a TV show etc and wonder what Hondos is saying about it. It's gone beyond the board for me. It's pretty much part of my identity at this point. I'm just that kind of person. I've always preferred to have a few very good friends than lots of casual friends.

I have had some of the best (and worst) times with Hondonians offline. There's that Hondonian connection that's hard to describe. We all just seem to get each other. There are certain topics I just won't go near and others I post on obsessively but I don't think i've ever felt excluded. Just sticking to what I know.

It pains me to think that some people would feel left out here because it's one of the most welcoming communities I've ever had the privilege of being part of.

• Upvote 2

Hondo's has a lot of cliques:

The Irish Chapter

The Cuban Chapter

The Greasers

The Goths (The Germanic nomad tribe, not the angry white people.)

The Cat People

The Baseball Furies

Hufflepuff

The Denver Broncos

The Girl Scouts of America

Dogs

Dogs With Hats

Comicsans Enthusiasts

Bees

Pikeys

Spam-Bots

Panch

I think that's all of them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

so, it's been quite a while since i made this thread, but in the years since - on & offline - i've still heard similar responses: new members say they feel like they don't fit in, like conversations literally happen around them & people instead pine for older years of hondo's with members long gone.

which, again, isn't to say i'm not happy about our returning crew: i always am.  i just always try to temper that with a concern for nostalgia blinding folks to the community we currently have. 

so yeah, we've had threads/efforts on getting new folks in the door, but what can we do to to retain them?  i think Interview with a Hondonian was one of the best ideas to date to get to know folks,  but if they're posting in & making new threads with no interaction, i'm often told it feels isolating & we tend to see fewer new folks stay on board.

what do you guys think we can do to improve this?  welcome threads & such are cool, but what else would work? 

I know I'm not the best about replying to threads, but I try to read all the ones I do find interesting. I'll make it a point to comment and be more interactive in the future, especially when it comes to newer members. 

While I'm not as shy about stuff as I used to be, I still can be, and because of that I won't post or reply as much. I'll definitely make an effort, though!

That's the MH Promise! <3TM

• Upvote 1

see i do it too though...like, if either something is posted that i'm not entirely into, or if i don't think i have anything to add that wasn't already said, ill stay quiet and maybe give rep.  i've caught myself & realized why trolling works: people tend to reply more to stuff they disagree with than the other way around, i figure.

but then axels puts up cool art and i don't know what to say but "NICE BRO!" (which feels like it adds nothing) or people share intensely personal things in how the fuck are you doing thread and i don't know how to reply without sounding like 

jJmiG2h.gif

"good luck with allll that!"

so yeah, i need to work on replying/interacting more as well, even when i'm not sure what to say

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

This is one of the main reasons why I was such a proponent of unlimited upvotes. I think knowing that someone likes your stuff, even a little +1 feels genuine, and its one of the big reasons I keep posting art. I'm not fishing for likes per se, but I like making things people like to look at. That +1 shows me you like looking at it, so I'll keep posting it. It's a nice confindence booster.

Also why I love hosting Werewolf. I love interacting with folks I havent before if they come back after awhile. Writing for Stillbored and Drifter will be a fun experience.

Interviews need a resurrection for sure. Encourage others to make threads for certain things. 

Featured commenters or comments? I dunno there. 

Bumping old threads maybe to see if a new discussion can spark there. I'm rambling now haha.

I'm dying over here w/ that Seinfed gif - LOL!

W/ the couple o' new members who signed up since I have - I've tried to make 'em feel welcome:  "Hi - it's okay to be a dork here."  (shrugs)  When, I first signed up - I admit I did kinda initially feel like I was 'intruding' on a clique...kinda tough grasping a 'Mission Statement' here on Hondos - LOL.  It can get quiet up in here!

Personally, I enjoy contributing...even if on a cringe level (shrugs) - LOL.  I think it's cool to see others w/ sum o' the same interests I have - n' get up in that.

I think having new members get immediately interviewed and having their interests / passions known - might get 'that common ground' started n' get sum conversation / opinions / thoughts / threads buzzin'.

Also, I was told there'd be cake...

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:29 PM, Axels said:

Also why I love hosting Werewolf. I love interacting with folks I havent before if they come back after awhile. Writing for Stillbored and Drifter will be a fun experience.

You know, for some reason I'm suddenly very concerned about playing this upcoming Werewolf game... I'm not exactly sure why... ah well.

So are unlimited upvotes something that's possible? I thought NZA said something about everyone getting more after the update but I wasn't sure how many. I know on FB and IG I make a point to like my friends' posts as much as possible just to say "Hey, I don't have a comment, but I'm here and I see you!" 

Also, could it somehow be possible for us to see who is upvoting our posts? I have to be honest, I've never felt like I completely fit in here. I'm certain much of it is just me projecting, but I've never felt like people want to interact with me much. So when I do get an upvote, I just assume it's NZA trying to make me feel better. I think if we were allowed to use them more and see who's doing it, that could definitely help. I know people don't always have replies, but it's nice just to know people are reading, I guess.

• Upvote 2

it' just a mod thing currently - but based on feedback here, i'm looking into it tomorrow, as well as working on limits.  for far too long i've kinda feared much of the rep system for e-peen/passive-aggressive misues in years gone by, but if it can serve as valuable feedback/encouragement on here then everyone should have it. 

• Upvote 1

Aaaaaaaaand now for my triumphant return...

Nick, in the AdminCP, that's under Members>Groups>Social near the bottom. There, you can set the number of reactions per day, and whether or not that group can view who reacted. Personally, I vote for unlimited for all, and allowing everyone to see who reacted.

I mean, honestly, there's only one negative reaction. Worst case scenario, you could make that neutral so nobody could "take" reputation away. I don't think I've seen anyone "downvote" anyone around here, though.

That being said, I wanna add a whooooole bunch of different reactions now that I know where they are, lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

okay, yeah, i was thinking we could start with 10 or 20 each, but if people really wanna use em like they do on social media, unlimited sounds fine (axels is gonna stay on top anyway)

and i had it on my list to look for more reaction ones as well - "thanks" is good, but sympathy/solidarity/keep your head up/iloveyoubutyoureabitofacunt etc would be great if we could find or fashion smileys in that same style.

matter of fact, we could prolly use a thread on reaction emojis that people'd like to see here, i'm sure there's great ones i'm not thinking of 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The NZA said:

...iloveyoubutyoureabitofacunt...

I know that's about me.

MUMKWF.gif

Yeah, one 'Like' / 'Reaction' a day seems a bit excessive(?)...'specially when how many of us actually post up in here.

I come across a few hilarious / insightful posts in a given day, I think may not necessarily warrant a full response to - but, a 'ha-ha' or a 'wtf' or a 'nod' click - would seem appropriate.

I don't think it's really "social media"-fying anything (although forums are social media whether we like it or not). I'm with Nemo on this one. I don't always have the time to write out a full response (especially lately), but I still read through the boards as much as possible, and this gives me the ability to comment without commenting, you know? Granted, I have unlimited, so I'm biased on this point, but I feel it should be opened for all. It takes no extra resources and it's freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Upvote 1