Hondo's Bar

Low fat foods

amynicole

I thought we could share low fat snacks and meals, so that when we are motivated to eat healthy we don't get stuck in a rut eating the same things over and over again.

My favorites are:

English muffins with low fat cream cheese

fat free yogurt with granola

snyders butter snaps pretzels

pita chips

low fat tzatziki with kashi whole grain crackers or triscuits

fat free jello pudding cups

apples and fat free caramel dip

cheese or butter flavored rice cakes or corn cakes by Quaker.

Homemade rice crispy treats (we add pretzels to ours for a sweet and salty snack)

special k bars and cereal and doug likes the fiber one bars

pasta roni angel hair with herbs (we leave out the margarine)

baked or roster potatos and sweet potatos. And roasted carrots. Yum

grilled chicken with garlic and fresh Rosemary.

Broccoli. We eat broccoli all the time. I like to make the pasta roni and stir in steamed broccoli and then top it with the rosemary chicken.

Sorbet.

If anyone has meal or snack ideas I'd love to see them.

I'm liking string cheese and almonds as a snack. Tons of protein, keeps you full for ages.

Steaming some fish like tilapia or a good salmon if you want to spend more with veggies (like broccoli, I'm totally with you there) and spices takes like 5 minutes and is delicious. Ridiculously easy.

Any food allergy issues? I don't wanna suggest too much if you're lactose or glucose or whey or wheat intolerant or anything.

No allergens (we thought so for a while but the doc was wrong), but I throw up anything high fat or really acidic. So absolutely no fried foods or anything. I usually love spaghetti with the high fiber noodles, but the sauce is a bad idea. But list away whatever, others may use this as a reference when they are on diets.

Tonight we had a roast, with carrots, onion, and celery. Mashed potatos made with chicken broth, salt and pepper, and yeast rolls.

We are looking for variety bc we eat grilled chicken about four nights a week.

You don't have to sacrifice flavor or any of your favorite dishes just because you are on a low-fat diet. A tweak here and there with ingredients and you can eat what you like and not suffer consequences...

Here are a couple of my faves:

Slow Cooked Rump Roast

Servings: 8

• 1/4 cup flour

• 1 teaspoon salt

• 1/4 teaspoon pepper

• 5 pound rump of beef

• 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

• 2 sweet onions, sliced

• 2 carrots, peeled and cubed

• Herbs and other seasonings as desired (I like Tarragon)

• 1 cup liquid (1/2 wine and 12 beef broth)*

• Other vegetables if desired (like potatoes or mushrooms)

Season the flour with the salt and pepper and pound the mixture into the meat. Brown meat on all sides in the hot oil. Add the onions, cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes. Add the carrots, herbs, seasonings and liquid. Cover tightly and simmer 3 1/2 - 5 hours, until meat is fork tender. Add desired vegetables during the last 20 or 30 minutes.

* Can use wine, beef broth, bouillon, tomatoes, vegetable broth, etc. or any combination.

~~~

Cheesy Chicken Rolls

Serve with fresh green beans or asparagus..

Servings: 4

• 4 (about 1 1/2 pound total) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

• 1/2 cup (4 ounces) fat-free cream cheese

• 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper

• 1/2 teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary*

• Nonstick cooking spray

• Coarsely ground black pepper

• 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth

• 2 tablespoons dry white wine**

• 1 tablespoon non saturated fat margarine

• 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives

• 2 teaspoons cornstarch

Place each chicken breast half (boned side up) between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound lightly with a meat mallet until chicken breast is very thin (about 1/8 inch thick). Remove the clear plastic wrap.

Top each chicken piece with 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese and 1 tablespoon of the chopped red bell pepper. Sprinkle with the rosemary. Fold in the sides. Roll up, jelly-roll style, pressing the edges to seal. Secure the rolls with wooden toothpicks, if needed.

Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Cook the chicken rolls over medium high heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned, turning to brown all sides. Remove to an 8 inch square baking dish. Sprinkle with coarsely fresh ground black pepper. Bake, uncovered, in 375 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.

While chicken bakes, in a small saucepan, combine the chicken broth, wine, and cornstarch. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in low saturated fat margarine. Serve over chicken rolls. Garnish with the snipped chives.

*Fresh Tarragon may be substituted for Rosemary if you prefer. May use 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary or tarragon if fresh is not available.

** For a lemony sauce, substitute 1 tablespoon lemon juice for the wine.

~~~

Fish and Chips

Serves 6

• 2 tablespoons olive oil

• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

• 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning

• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt

• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

• 2 large egg whites

• 1 cup cornflake crumbs

• 1 teaspoon chili powder

• 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano

• 6 cod or other thick white fish fillets (approximately 2 1/4 pounds total)

• 1 1/2 pounds red new potatoes, with skins and thinly sliced

• 6 cloves garlic, sliced

• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Meanwhile, line jelly-roll pan with foil and lightly coat with cooking oil spray. On sheet of waxed paper, combine flour, Old Bay seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt and cayenne. In small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, glossy peaks form. On second sheet of waxed paper, combine crumbs, chili powder and 1 teaspoon oregano.

Dip fillets into flour mixture to coat both sides. Working with one fillet at a time, spread beaten whites on one side. Cover egg white side with crumb mixture. Repeat with whites and crumbs on other side. Place on foil-lined baking pan.

When oven is heated, add potatoes, garlic, remaining 1/2 teaspoon oregano, remaining 1 teaspoon salt and the black pepper to hot roasting pan; toss to coat potatoes. Return to oven. Place fish on pan in middle rack in oven.

Bake in 450° oven until fish is crisp and cooked through, 15 minutes; remove from oven and keep warm. Bake potatoes another 5 minutes or until tender and browned.

~~~

Mojo Pork Roast

• 1 - 1 pound boneless pork top loin

• 1/3 cup orange juice

• 1/4 cup lime juice

• 1 teaspoon sugar

• 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed

• 3 cloves garlic, minced

• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Trim fat from pork roast. Place meat in a plastic bag in a shallow dish. For marinade, in a small bowl combine orange juice, lime juice, sugar, oregano and garlic. Pour the marinade over the meat; seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator overnight, turning bag occasionally.

Drain meat, discarding marinade. Place meat on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer. Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper. Roast in a 350 degree oven for 45 to 60 minutes or until the thermometer registers 160 degrees F. Cover meat with foil and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.

~~~

Mustard & Curry Pork Chops

• 4 - 4 ounce boneless pork loin chops (about one inch thick)

• 1/2 cup spicy brown mustard

• 1/4 cup dry white wine

• 1 tablespoon curry powder

• 1 tablespoon olive oil

• 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

• 1 green onion

• 1 clove garlic, minced

Trim fat from pork chops. Place chops in a plastic bag set in a shallow dish. For marinade, stir together the mustard, wine, curry powder, oil, red pepper, green onion, and garlic. Pour marinade over chops in bag; seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 6 to 24 hours, turning the bag occasionally.

Drain the chops, reserving the marinade. Arrange preheated coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above pan. Place chops on the grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill chops for 30 to 35 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of each chop registers 160 degrees, turning and brushing once with marinade halfway through grilling. Discard any remaining marinade.

~~~

Seared Scallops

• 1/4 cup fresh lime juice

• 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

• 2/3 cup light soy sauce

• 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar

• 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger

• 2 teaspoons sesame oil

• 2 pounds large sea scallops

• cooking oil spray

• toasted black sesame seeds

Rinse scallops and remove tough muscle from side if necessary. Pat dry.

Combine, lemon and lime juices, soy sauce, sugar, ginger and sesame oil in a wide shallow glass bowl. Add scallops and marinate, covered, at room temperature for no more than 5 minutes each side. Transfer scallops to a plate. Reserve marinade.

Heat large non stick skillet, sprayed with cooking oil spray over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Sauté scallops, 6 to 8 at a time, until golden brown and just cooked through - 2 to 3 minutes on each flat side. Transfer to a warming plate. Wipe out skillet and respray with cooking oil spray and cook another batch. Continue wiping out skillet and respraying between batches.

Wipe out skillet once again and add marinade and bring to a boil and reduce to about 1/3 cup.

Drizzle scallops with sauce and serve immediately with rice pilaf and and a green salad.

~~~

Teriyaki Scallops

Serve with a steamed asparagus.

• 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce

• 1 tablespoon rice wine

• 2 teaspoons sake or dry sherry

• 1 teaspoon granulated sugar

• 1 pound large scallops

• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Combine soy sauce, rice wine, sake (or dry sherry) and sugar in medium bowl and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add scallops and let stand for 30 minutes, turning occasionally.

Drain scallops, reserving marinade. Preheat broiler. Line broiler pan with foil. Brush broiler rack with vegetable oil. Place scallops on rack. Brush lightly with marinade. Broil about 4 inches from heat source 4-5 minutes or until brown.

Turn scallops with tongs and brush lightly with marinade. Broil 4 to 5 minutes or just until scallops are opaque in center. Serve immediately.

~~~

Shrimp Scampi

Serve with a green salad and a crusty roll.

Servings: 6

• 1 pound fresh shrimp, shelled and deveined

• 1 teaspoon butter

• 2 teaspoons olive oil

• 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed

• 1/4 cup Italian parsley, finely chopped

• 1/4 cup white wine

• 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper

• Juice of 1 lemon

• Lemon wedges for garnish

Melt butter and oil together in sauté pan. Add garlic, sauté for one minute, and add shrimp. Sauté for one minute, add wine, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Sauté quickly while sauce reduces and shrimp turns pink. Do not overcook. Sprinkle with parsley before serving. Serve with sauce over noodles or rice. Garnish with lemon wedges.

~~~

Cranberry Glazed Turkey and Stuffing

Servings: 6 large servings

• 1 - 3 pound boneless skinless turkey breast

Stuffing:

• 2 tablespoons light margarine

• 1/4 cup onion, chopped fine

• 1/4 cup celery, chopped fine

• 1/4 cup carrot, grated

• 1/2 cup low fat chicken broth

• 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning

• 1/8 teaspoon salt & pepper

• 2 cups dry bread cubes

Cranberry Glaze:

• 1 6-ounce can cranberry sauce

• 2 tablespoons brown sugar

• 1 tablespoon lemon juice

• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Prepare stuffing and glaze before removing turkey from refrigerator.

Stuffing: Melt butter in a skillet heated to medium. Add onion, celery and carrots and sauté until onion is transparent (5 minutes). Add broth and seasonings and mix well. Remove from heat and add bread cubes. Mix thoroughly and set aside to cool.

Cranberry Glaze: Mix all ingredients well in a medium-size bowl. Set aside one half the glaze in a small dish to serve with meat.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. To prepare turkey breast, place breast flat on a cutting surface and slice through meat with knife parallel to cutting board. Leave last inch intact and open up breast like a book. Cover turkey with plastic wrap and pound to an even thickness with a meat mallet.

Spoon stuffing onto one side of breast. Fold other side over and secure with toothpicks along cut edges. Place on a oil sprayed roasting pan. Pour half the cranberry glaze over stuffed turkey spreading it out over top of the breast. Bake in oven for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, until juices are no longer pink when you slice into meat. Remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes before slicing. Serve immediately.

~~~

More to come...

I'm loving ground turkey. Doesn't make me miss ground beef at all, but chops the calories of a given dish by a ton.

Also, since I don't know where else to put this, I've started sort of a weight loss/ body image blog with 2 friends of mine, if you guys want to follow it. Input is way appreciated by the three of us. I'm Mainda Pants, obviously.

I'm making sweet potato fries right now. Just slice a sweet potato into frys, brush with a Toney bit of olive oil, and sprinkle with salt or cinnamon and bake at 425f until done. You have to watch them, though bc they burn quickly

Amanda, I read in your blog how ice cream tempts you. Me, too. Here are a few desserts that are better, and keep me from craving it.

Weight watchers makes an ice cream that's low fat and comes in individual serving sizes so you don't eat too much

haagen daz makes a raspberry sorbet that is awesome. Fat free! And if that's not enough you can shave some dark chocolate over the top. Yum

not a frozen dessert, but wonderful, we bought mini angel food cakes from Albertsons and strawberries and fat free whipped topping. We took some sugar and water and three or four of the strawberries sliced thin and boiled it, turned it down and let it simmer until the strawberries started to fall apart and then let it cool. A little of the syrup and some berries and the whipped topping over the cake made an awesome fat free dessert! Lauren liked it so much she kept bugging her dad to let her have seconds, and she's not usually like that with sweets.

Are there any other foods you're having a hard time with? I've found lots of great snacks and meals.

this sounds good:

Cherry-Vanilla-Almond Smoothie

Blend together 1 cup frozen cherries, half a medium banana, 1 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt and 1 tbsp sliced almonds. Add a few ice cubes to make it more frothy.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived