Hondo's Bar

What are you watching right now?

My movie watching has taken a serious dive these last two months thanks to all the great TV going on this season. Netflix is also to blame as well-- I'm addicted to reality TV thanks to them:

American Choppers: The relationships between Paul Sr. and his sons (and everyone else) are just fascinating. Watching this family go from a start-up to a global business and then crumble is ceaselessly intriguing to me. Building choppers is really the least interesting aspect of this show.

Pawn Stars: I'll usually put on an episode before bed. Seeing a father/son/grandson business actually flourish w/ minimal dysfunction (at least compared to American Choppers) plus getting mini-history lessons via someone selling stuff is just great TV,

American Pickers: Being a bit of a pack-rat collector myself, this show is like crack. The real stars are the people they come across and how attached they are to their crap stuff. It's kind of therapy in a way; it makes me feel incredibly well adjusted by comparison. :D

The IT Crowd: There are only 24 episodes on Netflix and I'm already halfway through. I'm trying to parse them out to only one or two a week so I won't go through withdrawals.

New Girl: I'm sure Zoey D.'s "adorkable" charm will eventually wear thin, but I don't see that being anytime soon for me. Schmit is also the funniest idiot on TV since Matt LeBlanc.

2 Broke Girls: What can I say, Kat Dennings does it for me. The show is mainly just snarky one-liners (mostly at the expense of NYC hipsters), but that's good enough for me. And the blonde chick is also kinda hot and not unfunny.

Man Up: I loved the concept, but the execution was meh. If it was a show mainly about Kenny (fat guy from Fanboys) & his roommate w/ inexplicably Kid-N-Play-esque hair rather than their metro-sexual best friend and his family then maybe it wouldn't have been canceled. Maybe.

And then there are the returning sit-coms that I'm also watching: Parks & Rec, The Office, Community (Please don't go!), Big Bang Theory, South Park, Modern Family, & Bored to Death.

With all these shows I still haven't had time to check out any of the new dramas (Am. Horror Story, Homeland, Terra Nova, Person of Interest, Hell on Wheels), but they are on my HD waiting to be viewed. Although, I am making time to see Boardwalk Empire & Walking Dead every week.

Been watching The Life and Times of Tim lately. I fucking love it.

I started watching S1 of this show a while back but then lost track of it. I need to revisit it soon.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 3 weeks later...

aw, Spaced is up? fucking awesome! thanks for the heads-up.

and yeah, Panch was telling me to check out Hell on Wheels, i got the first 3 in queue. i think there's like 1 more ep each of Dexter and American Horror Story and then im done with current shows too.

Yep, I watched one ep, just to see what is was about, ended up watching both seasons right then and there, still hoping maybe they bring out some more. Also Peep Show is up on Netflix. I don't know if it has the newest episodes, but it is great stuff.

But right now I am watching Dolemite, you rat soup eating muthafuckers! It is funny that the parodies I have always seen of this stuff is EXACTLY like the movie. The boom mic is in numerous shots, people forget their lines, interrupt other people's lines, and just some weird cuts, bad acting, and everything youd expect out of one of those films. They HAD to know what they were doing, because there was no way they could unintentionally put out a film like this. It was like they had one take for the whole movie. Still it is great stuff! I also love how the copy of Disco Godfather I got has it rated PG. It is definately not PG lol.

• 5 months later...

My bachelorette party was just a couple of weeks after my car wreck, and I can tell you right now I never want to mix alcohol and pain pills again. It's no fun getting sick in a strip club bathroom. I figure 2t and I may have differing opinions on that, though.

Watching The FP, bitch! So far it is amazing.

This guy seemed to realize it's greatness better than most

When I first heard about this film, I was admittedly intrigued by the silliness of the plot. I went in expecting a low budget, overtly sarcastic college film project. I expected a C- movie at best.

Instead, what I received was a complete shock through my system. From scene one onward, my senses were overloaded as the living canvas before me unveiled its soul. The film invites the viewer to embark on a journey with JTRO in the synthpop mecca of FP; Am I not JTRO? Have I not toiled through the FP all my life?

You see, this film is not about the golden age of electro dance set 50 years after mad max. This film is about love and war: the trials that we face every day. Open your mind and open your heart when you watch this movie. You will not be disappoint.

And no. So far, I am not disappoint.