Hondo's Bar

What are you watching right now?

Finished S2 of Peaky Blinders and y'all gotta get on this! It's only 12 episodes total for both seasons, but it packs in a lot of quality drama and violence. Plus it uses Nick Cave and PJ Harvey's music to perfection. Looking at you, ASC.

Next up, I'm about to finally start watching S2 of The Flash.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Started Making a Murderer today. It seems interesting, but I don't know if I have time for a whole season of what's essentially 48 hours, but with one case about a guy who, frankly, was kind of an asshole before he was accused of murder.

Yeah the show and the case are interesting but it's definitely MAJORLY drawn out. I fast forwarded through much of the last few episodes just to get to the verdict.

I got Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 3 on blu for XMAS - finally sat down to watch last night.

Picked it back up this evening. Just finished 'The Most Toys', where this 'collector' kidnaps Data and adds / imprisons him amongst his hoard of galactic rarities. WOW - the collectors' performance was award-winning. This season is sooo good - the series itself is highly recommended...still can't believe how long I've missed out on this show.

"You are here for me to appreciate...now put this on." Yikes.

themosttoys2.jpg?resize=475%2C365&type=vertical

Broadchurch-murder-on-bac-012.jpg

I started watching Broadchurch, a British crime drama, after a friend recommended it. I'm six episodes in and loving it. I love murder mysteries like The Killing, Secrets and Lies, and I guess Twin Peaks counts there too! Broadchurch has great performances and is shot beautifully! It's on Netflix so totally binge-able.

It is also perfect for the giant David-Tennant-sized hole in my life left by Jessica Jones.

Duckman! Doing Season 4.

Duckman_S3-S4.jpg

Duckman-Trying-to-grab-a-Couple-of-women-in-thebutt-cartoons-35812323-720-480.jpg

This show is so funny and quick-witted...and refreshingly intelligent / deep at times. I love the dated references (great time capsule - I luv that about older shows) and Everett Peck's art design. Jason Alexander is just horribly hilarious in this show. He's great - I think he's one of those actors who deserves more accolades.

Duckman3734906.jpg

I got Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 3 on blu for XMAS - finally sat down to watch last night.

Picked it back up this evening. Just finished 'The Most Toys', where this 'collector' kidnaps Data and adds / imprisons him amongst his hoard of galactic rarities. WOW - the collectors' performance was award-winning. This season is sooo good - the series itself is highly recommended...still can't believe how long I've missed out on this show.

Yeah, that was a good episode and a good season. I believe that was the season with the return of Dr. Crusher. Polaski episodes were not my favorite. Dark times on the USS Enterprise-D.

I thought she was a'ight - I didn't mind her.

LOL - but, yeah - I was like 'what happened to Wesley's mom?' in Season 2. I thought she was, like, a part of the series. Then, bam - 'I'm back!' in Season 3. I actually would've liked a scene where Dr. Crusher thanked Polaski for filling in or something. (shrugs) Didn't find out till the interviews n' docs that the actress (Crusher) got canned for bitching about scripts...then got asked back. LOL -

d1a198fbc676227371b17c394dc5a0d4.jpg

That season finale was a hell of a cliffhanger. Legendary, apparently:

bestofbothworldsone1-300x229.jpg

320x240.jpg

"...fire."

to-be-continued.jpg

Seriously?! Fffffffaaaaahhhh....

ryback-lout-brother.png?w=650&h=475

Doin' sum Ponyo!

maxresdefault.jpg

I remember back in the day, when an animated series had an episode w/ excessive 'fluidity' - it was a good lookin' episode - animation-wise. Lookin' at the Hydro-Man episode from the 90's Spidey animated series and the Clayface episodes from the 90s Batman cartoon as immediate examples.

Even back then, I knew and appreciated the fact that they must've had to fork over sum serious dough to get sum top-notch animators to work on it.

This is that - times a thousand. It's like the best animators Ghibli can afford - working together to make this wonderous, captivating piece of visual art. Constantly moving, constantly impressive fluid animation - the skill is hypnotizing.

maxresdefault.jpg

ponyo03.jpg

Kinda...makes me wish I could be closer...to the fish...

wzFay2C.gif

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

Another Panch recommend: FLASH!

the-flash-2014.jpg

I don't like these superhero tv shows, 'cuz I drown in the super-melodrama. It's why I fell off Walking Dead after Season 3...it just turned into this big...soap opera. Like, Smallville...can't stand it. I tried Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D. - couldn't do it. I've only seen an episode of Agent Carter, thought it was okay - but it could've been my bias - 'cuz I love the time period / setting. Still wanna give the whole thing a shot. Still haven't seen anything Arrow.

Last week, I figured I'd at least try Flash while it was still available on Netflix. I was expecting long-ass scenes of dialogue w/ people who look like they just got up off the make-up chair...and vast, prestine, empty sets...but the aesthetic has this Golden Age feel to it...? Some cool outdoor city stuff. The corn isn't too corny...but definite corn. Comic book corn. I dug it. Taking a break from it now - just finished the 8th episode. I had no idea how many episodes Season 1 has...like 24? Good lord! Yeah, so far - I'm hooked.

Not what I expected, but what I expect from a tv show about a superhero: cool visuals, a clear understanding of the characters and a genuine investment in seeing the narrative through to the end.

During the first episode - it almost lost me w/ the DAMN-obvious bad-guy in the room (Wheels) - there was no way I could stand another cut to that guy with the shifty eyes for another episode. But each episode ends w/ him basically twirling his mustache and another piece of the puzzle is revealed. I love it - brilliant. I think after the 2nd episode - I was like, 'Oh - this is a thing? Veeery clever...(whispers)...thaaank you...'

TheFlash1_1.jpg

Yeah, totally - my sentiments exactly. I just put in a couple more episodes:

Just finished the first encounter w/ Reverse Flash. The show OBVIOUSLY has a well thought-out structure...it's amazing. I was like, 'Man, this feels like a fully functioning live-action adaptation of the DC universe'. The cross-over w/ Arrow just made me hungry for more DC - where's Batman and Supes? Are they handling shit like this on an episodic basis, too? (Now I'm watching the Justice League animated series to scratch that itch.)

It'd be awesome if this was the start of DC cinematic universe - it feels like it could be that...but it'll probably be self-contained, though.

Marvel's Netflix stuff is cool, but different - I'd dare say I'd prefer the more colorful /comic book aesthetic of Avengers and Flash. The ultra-dark of Daredevil n' Jessica Jones (and potential Punisher n' Blade) fit, but don't think I can say I enjoyed it more than what I'm experiencing now w/ Flash.

All good, but different - honestly don't see m'self binging on Jessica Jones again - if Jones had that revolving door of cases n' baddies each episode w/ the giant, hanging arch of 'getting her hands on Killgrave'...hey, now...but to be fair, it also wasn't trying to be an action-y show.

I'd love to see a live-action show w/ this structure starring Peter Parker...or Clark Kent.

I've been eager to try out this new show BILLIONS on Showtime and I finally caught up with the first 6 episodes. It's got Damien Lewis, who is arguably the best British actor to portray a member of the American military on TV (great performances in both Band of Brothers & Homeland) and the great Paul Giamatti. Not to mention supporting rolls by Tara from Sons of Anarchy and Gail from Breaking Bad. So it's a great cast. And after watching the film The Big Short, I'm more interested in what the world of hedge-fund high finance might be like.

I binge watched the first four episodes and watched the other two today, but the weirdest thing is I'm still not sure if I can recommend the show. It's very meh and cookie cutter in a lot of ways. But it still drew me back in for each new episode somehow. I had a similar experience this summer with the Wachowski's show Sense8 -- the margin of error of the good outweighing the bad of the series was on a razor thin line. Check out the trailer and judge ye for thyself.

• Downvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hell yeah, Boogie Nights! Like Lebowski, another classic I watched early before the masses and watched grow to cult status after it's theater run. Neither had great ticket sales - surprisingly, Boogie Nights had more senior citizens buying those tickets than casual movie-goers. I found it hilarious, because I knew - they knew - the content. None of them stormed out claiming to be mislead.

Fear and Loathing on the other hand - I'll never forget the midnight premiere: everyone was either dressed up as Hunter or strung out-of-their-mind...or both! It was awesome - it was like herding docile cattle. Wish I took pictures.

• 1 month later...

Watching Safety Last.

harold-lloyd-in-safety-last.jpg

A classic. Harold Lloyd is an often unsung wonder of the silent era. As I mentioned before, I'm big on the classics - especially the 'sourced from the original film negatives, cleaned and restored' blu editions of ancient film.

Another old-schooler after just finishing Modern Times (Chaplin) -

8da29ea02506bfd7c39b7fc6620236a5.jpg

I'm on a early 1900s kick. I love this stuff. Highly recommended if you can handle no audible dialogue. Treasures.

I want to try out Rick and Morty, but people who like rick and morty won't shut the fuck up about how much it gives them a hard on for me to want to invest time into it now. Its a weird cult, i swear.

I did pickup Bojack Horseman after the buzz died down for it. I'm only a couple episodes in, but I'm liking it so far. Also just finished Master of None which I ended up liking more than I thought I would.

Finished Man in the High Castle. 8/10. Pretty excellent.

...Finished Man in the High Castle. 8/10. Pretty excellent.

That was an uneven series for me with the writing and performances. The concept is great though. I'd put it at more 6/10, maybe 7/10 if I hadn't binge watched it. I find when I binge watch certain series the little gripes I have tend to snowball--which is why I can't take more than two episodes of Flash or SHIELD at a time.