Hondo's Bar

What are you watching right now?

• 1 month later...

About 5 episodes deep into Master of None. Not as many laughs as I'd hoped, but it's got an interesting POV with multiculturalism and immigration being main focuses thus far along with your typical "being single" sitcom tropes. Reading the episode descriptions I'm seeing I can expect "being in a relationship" tropes to follow.

Speaking of multiculturalism, I've been watching a lot of Huang's World and Fuck, That's Delicious on youtube this week. Eddie Huang is an enterprising first generation Chinese-American and his Vice series is all about exploring culture through food. And Fuck, That's Delicious is probably the most entertained I've ever been while watching people eat. Action Bronson needs to make more episodes of this show already! I'm seeing only one season online and that's from back in 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching a 1988 classic - 'Big'.

big-cover.jpg

Got the upgrade (already had it on DVD, got it on blu) for $5 today @ Best Buy. This is one of the best blu-transfers I have ever seen. EVER. The quality is above 'top-notch'. It is jaw-dropping...ly amazing. No exaggeration.

Amazing film - w/ an awkward-as-hell ending. LOL! The blu has an extended edition included - if ya see this for $5 on the rack, grab it. Hanks should've gotten the Oscar for his performance.

Tom-in-Big-tom-hanks-20254899-1024-576.jpg

This part always puts me in a cold sweat - I hate this part: Josh's first night alone in the grown-up world.

big-tom-hanks-crying-bed.jpg

Finished Master of None S1, finally, on Netflix. I felt it was okay but overhyped.

I tried SE1 of Peaky Blinders, but I got kinda bored with it. So I put that aside until I was more in the mood for a period drama about a surly gangster b/c I know it's a great series as I binged S1 & S2 earlier this year and loved it.

So I moved on to S1 of Mr. Robot. I'm on E7 and so far the hype on this one is legit. I'm probably gonna flow right into the current S2. I dont't see many Hondnians NOT loving this series.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been watching Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey all...day.

cosmos-3.5.14-1.jpg

Picked it up on blu a couple o' weeks ago at Best Buy for $12...also, Planet Earth (6-disc set) for $10 - ridiculous sales on great docs were going on. Finally sat down to binge...

Cosmos is a 13-episode series - a fantastic walkthrough on what we know so far about Earth and the nature of the universe. Wonderfully produced, great animated segments recreating important moments in history, chock full o' info n' history...that makes me feel really guilty n' stupid for not knowing some of this stuff - and the names of a lot people who genuinely changed the world. LOL!

I've seen a couple o' eps on Netflix - it's amazing-looking on blu. Highly recommended piece of edu-tainment. I see myself watching this whole thing again in the future. Makes me want to learn more...and have this knowledge ingrained into my brain.

Cosmos_001.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm doin' sum Star Wars: Rebels - Season 2

star-wars-rebels-s2-banner-530x341.jpg

Picked it up on blu yesterday. The clerk at Best Buy gave me a fist-bump at the check-out, he was pretty excited that I haven't seen it yet. LOL - embarrassing 'cuz there was a line and he was holding it up telling me it was really good - LOL

The show focuses on a crew of rebels who are hunted by an evil Empire as they try to recruit and do what they can to help those in need.

About 10 episodes in - in a 22 episode season. So far, it's gotta a lot of momentum and a nice return to that vibe of 'adventure' and 'travel' that the Clone Wars had. Doesn't feel as kiddie / tame as Season 1 - but the animation / acting / line delivery is still a bit too exaggerated at times - but I attribute it to the Y7 nature of the beast. (shrugs) I'm really enjoying this new chapter. The Original Trilogy vibe 'is strong in this one.'

brentrambooriginal.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Same here. Timeless classic!

I also collect pins, 'specially Disney pins. They are so many of them...and are so freakin' collectible! I love / hate when I see a good one! LOL! Gotta have it - and damn you! Those look like 'em. I want that Blockbuster one! Are they tin / metal? They look like...plastic?

These pins are enamel! They're from my current favorite pin-maker, Patti Lapel. I just noticed the Clue VHS is out of stock! They usually restock them after a bit so I'll have to stalk the site! I guess in the meantime I'll go with this one from Duncan Artworks:

HyX3iKJl.jpg

Also, I am NOT down for a remake...I'm as bummed about this as I was for that short period when we thought we might be getting a Beetlejuice sequel.

LOL - I thought you literally meant lapel pins...like pins for your lapel. There actually is a person named Lapel...who sells lapel pins?! @ 1:16

Oh, man - those look cool. That TMNT one is great! LOL! Enamel? Hmmm...I kinda dread checking out more...I really have an obsessive personality. LOL - but I've been able to tear away from some really kewl stuff...I only have so much room! Pain, whenever I go to Disney World and pass by those pin booths. I'm gonna at least browse Patti n' Duncan's sites. I love / hate good pins! LOL!

The Beetlejuice sequel is scrapped?!

Beetlejuice-Sad-beetlejuice-the-animated-series-16377495-640-480.jpg

I suppose the 12 year-old demographic isn't familiar enough w/ the IP to guarantee those butts in those seats without a reboot / remake. (sigh) Guess I'll go watch a little tv.

Beetlejuice-Little-TV-beetlejuice-the-animated-series-16377513-640-480.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm watching Frankenstein (1931)

dfbll.gif

Been having a sweet, spooky Hallo-weekend, running ol' skoo' horror for days now.

An ambitious scientist reanimates a corpse, but doesn't know how to deal w/ the fact that it is...brain damaged. Hesitant to simply 'kill it', he keeps it locked up in a dungeon until he decides on what do. The living-dead creature escapes and...well...

Been having a sweet, spooky Hallo-weekend, running ol' skoo' horror for days now.

YES!! You are doing October right!! It's my favorite month of the year and I'm lucky NZA feels much the same. We have been enjoying the shit out of this entire month (we event went on a paranormal investigation/ghost hunt!). But keeping it on topic, we've watched the following so far this month:

It Follows (One of my favorite horror flicks, I was showing it to NZA and he liked it!)

Conjuring 2 (Had some really great jump scares in the beginning but went on WAY too long and got silly with the whole Crooked Man business.)

Jacob's Ladder (Definitely more of a thriller but with some really creepy horror elements. It was a difficult watch with the subject matter...)

Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episodes (Working our way through season 1-11's Halloween episodes. Season 6's episode has ALL the classics- The Shinning, Time and Punishment and Nightmare Cafeteria!)

Insidious 3 (We watched this last night but we started too late and I fell asleep like a third of the way in. Was pretty damn scary, though! Mostly jump scenes, but very well done!)

We have one more weekend to squeeze in some more horror! e-ghost.gif

Edited by Donatella
  • Upvote 1

"I think you mean, Shining."

F5WapT2.jpg

To finish up October this past weekend NZA and I watched The (actual) Shining (one of my all time favorites!), finished off Insidious 3 and Event Horizon! I am loving the idea of themed movies based on months/holidays. I wonder what I'll do for Thanksgiving. Addams Family Values always makes the list for that amazing

Edited by Donatella
  • Upvote 2

I'm watching The Three Stooges - I'm doing their 1934 run. Great stuff. Bar-setting slap-stick and genius gags - just wonderful time capsules...

I used to watch them with my dad on TV every Sunday when I was a kid. He loved those short films.

I mostly watched waiting for Scooby and The Mystery Gang to show up.

• 1 month later...

I'm watching MTVs 2003 Spider-Man - the New Animated Series

51U1pv9dyHL.jpg

A wonderfully animated cell-shaded, early-cg 'spin' on Spidey. Really well done - a shame it only held up for a season. I love early cg - not only for it's visual dated-ness, but you can really feel the attempt to push the budding tools into uncharted territory / interesting places.

It's kinda loosely inline w/ Raimi's first Spidey film - the series is set w/ Peter in college and Harry dealing w/ his dad having just been 'killed' by Spidey. That's about all the ties it has to the film...oh, but does have a cool tie-in to Affleck's Daredevil - via Michael Clarke Duncan reprising his role of Kingpin. Only 13 episodes - 13 pretty good episodes. I'd love to see a blu upgrade.

iamspiderman_8594.png

• 3 weeks later...

I'm doing Sergio Leone's 1968 'Once Upon A Time in the West'

maxresdefault.jpg

A recently widowed woman finds her recently inherited property a sought after meal-ticket for a bunch of greedy folks. A mysterious gunslinger enters the scene - w/ an even more mysterious agenda. Timeless one-liners ensue - LOL

A brilliant, hypnotic...borderline artsy / boring western. Masterfully put together / composed. Done by a man who clearly loves and understands the power of cinema. You can feel it's influence on movies...even today. A cool ride.

"You brought two horses too many..."

e95e9142ec.jpg