Hondo's Bar

What are you watching right now?

I'm 4 episodes into Netflix's Series of Unfortunate Events.

lemonyheader.jpg

I dug the books n' the Nick movie - I gave this a shot. It's pretty damn good, really well done. The 2004 movie is pretty much an amalgam of the first 3 books - if you dug the movie, this is great. It follows the books pretty faithfully n' takes it time. Barry Sonnenfeld (love this guy's cinematic flair / style - Addams Family, Men in Black) produced the Nick flick and directed the first 2 episodes of this series himself.

Freakin' love the aesthetic n' tone of this universe - seems to be carried straight over from the 2004 movie...the depressing narration by Lemony Snicket is so damn delicious and again, I just love the look. At first, it's impossible not to compare this Count Olaf w/ Jim Carrey's - but 'Doogie Howser' pulls off 'psychotic stage-actor' surprisingly - very well. Enjoying.

asoue101unit5140rjpg-f484c4_765w.jpg

I tried getting into the first Lemony Snicket book back around the time of the film, but I could never do it. I saw the movie once, and thought it was meh. I did think the look of the series seemed very similar to the film when I saw the trailer. Makes sense that Sonnenfeld produced the film and directed some of the series. I'll give it a try because Netflix has been on point with their series for me thus far and NPH is da man.

So is S1 seeming to be pretty much following book 1, Nemo? Or is it pulling from other novels, too?

Just getting around to this sitcom called People of Earth about a support group for people abducted by aliens. Conan O'Brien produces it. I'm three in and digging it so far.

And The Good Place also started back up. If you haven't checked this show out yet, get on that shits. Srsly. It's possibly my favorite new show of 2016.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

So is S1 seeming to be pretty much following book 1, Nemo? Or is it pulling from other novels, too?

There are 13 books - Season 1 adapts the first 4 books - w/ a Season 2 n' 3 on the way to wrap the whole thing up.

They're not horribly engaging books - they're really kiddie books - nowhere near as epic as Harry Potter. I just found the dreary / clever narrative-style n' zonky artwork really appealing...the slowly unraveling mystery was also something I wanted to see all the way through. (shrugs) It honestly ain't nothing to write home about.

Concerning the adaptions - I just love the art direction...the surreal-ness of the Nick movie n' the Netflix venture really strike a cord w/ me. Soon after the first movie dropped - I believe Nickelodeon had a changing of the guard and the new President just pulled the plug on the whole thing 'cuz it wasn't really...franchisable. (shrugs) It really isn't a story screaming to be made, but honestly, weird enough to warrant an adaption...the target audience really is kids.

I gotta give the end-credit sequence of the Nick movie a shout-out...(don't worry - no spoilers)

Holy Forking Shirtballs, that good place finale...

Took the words right outta my mouth! Great S1 finale.

That smile Ted Danson gave when Eleanor outed him was chilling. Great bit of acting there. He went from concerned and friendly to downright evil in the course of one facial expression.

I always thought something was off about Tehani, but the whole Bad Place reveal was a forkin' shocker for sure.

One last thing, anyone else think Bad Janet is hot? I'd hit it. Farts and all.

Watching Young Pope and I'm really liking it. Having been raised Catholic, I find inner workings of the Church and Vatican politics interesting--even if it is made up inner workings and politics. The editing is very jumpy, for lack of a better word, but not in a Michael Bay sort of way--in an arthouse sort of way. It's interesting. The cinematography is great, too. Lots of beautifully framed shots in the series thus far. (On episode 4 at the moment.)

I hope there's a satisfactory payoff by episode 10 (Not being able to binge is killing me with this series!) because some of the characters are all over the place. Also, Jude Law is fucking crushing it as Pope Pious XIII. It's probably my favorite thing I've seen him in since Gattaca.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Cub, a Flemish movie about a cub scout troop in the woods with a deranged maniac. Starts off run of the mill, turns really fucked up in the third act. Really well shot, decent acting, perfectly horrific... FUCK THE ENDING. I can't stand when a movie plants a bunch of storylines and then never elaborates, I hate when a movie goes super dark out of nowhere for no good reason, and I hate when filmmakers deftly avoid the cliched good ending by going for the chilched bad ending. This one goes on the pile of "wonderful movies I'm too enraged to ever watch again" pile with Eden Lake.

Finished S1 of Sneaky Pete. It's a solid series. Cranston and Ribisi have a solid supporting cast and deliver good performances. Graham Yost of Justified is a producer and wrote a couple of episodes, too. We have a few Justified actors in the supporting cast in S1, now is we can only get Olyphant to guest star in S2--preferably as a US marshall.

• 2 months later...

Watching classic 'Mystery Science Theater 3000'...on Netflix?! blink.png

960.jpg

I know there's an upcoming...reboot thing...but, looks like Netflix just got a 'Best-Of', 'rare' compilation-thing of the 90s Comedy Central run.

Basically, each episode is an hour n' a half. It's a feature-length adlib / riff on sum random 'crappy' B-movie that the characters / comedians are 'forced to watch'. I love crappy B-movies, so - I watch for the actual movie, but stay for the subtle, funny commentary.

Just finished 'Teenagers From Outer Space'. LOL - dunno if anyone remembers - this was the flick you unlocked if you 100% completed 'Destroy All Humans' on PS2 / XBOX. Don't remember the episode itself - but know the movie. LOL - good stuff.

Classic MST 3K itself holds up - great late-nite fodder...but the episodes are feature-length, might not be everyone's cup o' tea. Super early 90s / Liquid Television-y kinda vibe...plus, there are puppets.

3ea836acf5033b6a8aed0c838d57b0a3e5df4fb65198d5b980e629292366089f.jpg

watch-mst3k-episodes-online-mystery-science-theater-3000-streaming.jpg

I just finished watching FURY on Blu-ray. I have to say, I liked it a lot more on my second viewing than I did when I initially saw it in the theater. It is a solid World War II film. The BR is also chock full of deleted scenes and alternate takes. After having watch those I kind of understand better what happen with suicide squad. Apparently David Ayer's process is to shoot a bunch of stuff, including alternate lines and even origins for some characters, and then "find the film" in editing. It seems with suicide squad other editors got a hold of all of this alternate footage and didn't really separate the wheat from the chaff.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Watching 'Malcolm in the Middle'

7d2ef920f51b5ee543122f03c8b1cfbe-malcolm-in-the-middle-season-6-1466939946.jpg

'Married w/ Children' really was a benchmark in tv - as far as genre...and inspired shows like, 'Malcolm in the Middle' and 'The Middle'. The model is: a dysfunctional, financially struggling family that ultimately loves each other, no matter what.

This show totally stands on it's own - and is hilarious and sweet - in part, because of a perfect cast. I also love the aesthetic...from another time. I think this show set another benchmark and became an inspiration for other shows. Shows like these (MwC) are pretty much forgotten - but are genuinely gold.

ea0b11eea6ca3c75c0503eabbe6b93f6.gif

I bought the complete Star Wars Saga on Blu-Ray about six years ago because it was the only way to get the original trilogy on BR back then. I watched Episodes IV-VI (plus the bonus features, of course) but never did watch Episodes I-III on blu ray--until this weekend. I saw TPM with some friends when they released it in theaters in 3D a few years back, but this was the first time rewatching AOTC & ROTS for me in over a decade. The dialogue was a cringe-fest, just like a remembered, but I'd forgotten how great Yoda was in ROTS. The CGI work on him is outstanding and holds up to any CGI character done today nearly two decades later.

I also rewatched the Genndy Tarkovsky (sp?), 2-D original animated Clone Wars. I'd forgotten how great Gen. Grievous was in those. He was much more menacing than in ROTS. I wonder if he ever showed up in the CGI Clone Wars show.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin