Hondo's Bar

Star Wars Saga on Blu-ray

Bad news guys. Not only will the bluray PROBABLY not have Han shooting first, I've uncovered a scene from the Bluray edition with even MORE retcon shenanigans!!

Brace yourselves:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajFd_Tf7D1M?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajFd_Tf7D1M?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajFd_Tf7D1M?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

:FHD:

I've grown a little jaded with Star Wars tbh. Those 90's special editions were excellent. I still have em on VHS. That's how old school I am bro.

The Star Wars films are among a number of killer apps that could encourage movie buffs who’ve been sticking to standard definition DVDs to finally buy Blu-ray players. Advocates of the Blu-ray disc format should be thrilled that this new incentive to adopt the format is finally arriving, but some Star Wars fanatics will be less than pleased that the controversial Special Editions are the only versions of the original trilogy that will be available.

Lucas’s explanation: The original theatrical editions would cost too much to convert to the high definition format. Much of the needed work was already done for the Special Edition remasters.

Y'know, I had forgetten this (and I bet some of you did too), but two years ago, before James Cameron's Avatar, Lucas said he decided all six films needed the 3D treatment. See here. As far as I know, we haven't heard any more on this since then. The 35th anniversary of the first movie is 2 years away...Lucas likes to celebrate the anniversaries with special editions and re-releases. So, maybe Lucas is looking to have a 3D theatrical release of the six films, followed by a Blu-Ray that includes a 3D and 2D version? That would lead to the question of whether ONLY a newer cut with everything in the Special Editions and the last DVD plus even more new stuff would be in 3D, while the original cut would be in 2D only.

Hmm...:hmm:

• 3 months later...

Well, Jax, we are only going to have to wait a year from the time of your last post to get it! Behold, the trilogies on Blu-Ray are on their way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLltQkcHZys&feature=player_embedded

The best news is that Lucas isn't going to totally screw over the fans by making them buy all six films in one set. Amazon is pre-selling the separate trilogy sets for $45 ea. That's not bad, and I'm sure they'll come down in price as the release date approaches.

Personally, I'm waiting to see exactly what special features will be included on the Original Trilogy set (no way I'm even considering purchasing the prequels) before I get over excited. Also, what versions they'll be putting out of Episodes IV-VI hasn't really been clarified either.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Just point me to the fan edits when they come out so that I can enjoy the awesome picture and sound quality and the extra dewbacks and fighters without my nephews growing up thinking that Greedo ever got the drop on Han.

Why won't anyone think of the CHILDREN?

• Upvote 1

Well, even Lucas wore a "Han SHot First" shirt during the filming of the prequels, so maybe even if it's the "special editions" that come out on Blur-ray it'll have that scene restored. Personally I'm hoping it'll be both versions, b/c like Nza wrote earlier, there are some upticks to the SE--such as the CGI (excluding the Jabba scene in Episode IV).

Well, even Lucas wore a "Han SHot First" shirt during the filming of the prequels, so maybe even if it's the "special editions" that come out on Blur-ray it'll have that scene restored. Personally I'm hoping it'll be both versions, b/c like Nza wrote earlier, there are some upticks to the SE--such as the CGI (excluding the Jabba scene in Episode IV).

I see that more as a "fuck you" to the "Han shot first" fans.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This reviewer has a first look at the special edition 9 disc BR set.

Apparently there are many minor fixes to the "original" trilogy films.

Regarding the Original Trilogy films, I don't think it's quite accurate to say that these are simply the 2004 DVD masters recycled for Blu-ray. These films are NOT the 2004 versions. It would be more accurate to say that these are new 2011 Blu-ray versions.

Also, as if anyone cares, E1 Yoda is apparently now all digital and not a puppet.

• 2 weeks later...

0:28 mark is total bullshit

More stuff

• Obi-Wan's dragon call that scares off the Sand People is fucking insane

• R2-D2's rock covering on Tatooine is now physically impossible for him to get into

• Jabba's palace door is now ridiculously large

• EWOKS BLINK

5zjgp0.jpg

Edited by Newtype

*Couldn't find the Jabba clip

* No idea what you're referring to about R2's "rock covering"?

* I'm OK w/ the blinking ewoks. Actually looks natural.

* Vader screaming "Noooo!" in ROTJ was unnecessary, but it just vocalized the internal dialogue the head pivot implied all along. So, I'm not too bothered by that.

* Obi-Wan's scream at the Sandpeople is fucking ridiculous. But I can live w/ it.

However . . .

Greedo still shoots first? Are you fucking kidding me, Lucas?!!?? Gah! I was all jazzed about this BR release, but this is seriously putting a damper on it. I was almost certainly going to buy this on release day and fork over the $90 for the mega-set. Now, I don't know. Maybe I'll just wait to see if it drops by Christmas time or maybe goes on sale for Black Friday. Fucking Greedo. Total buzzkill.