Hondo's Bar

Star Wars Saga on Blu-ray

because saying 'yes' isn't enough, ya whore :2T:

To clarify

since you use your PS3 for gaming like a suckah

is the AV set to autodetect or have you manually upped the ante? Because chances are you've been doing the thing this whole time in 720, and complaining about the hype all the while.

I just finished watching Episode IV on Blu Ray and I think axel be on that wacky weed. I compared the 1977 original on DVD, the 1997(?) Special Edition on DVD, and the Blu Ray; BR has an obviously crisper, brighter picture. I watched it on a 46" Sharp Aquos using HDMI cables w/ a cheap-ass Magnavox BR player.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Newt sent me the links to the Despecialized editions.

I watched Episode IV last night. I tried to go in with an unbiased attitude and push it's vast influence out of mind. I just wanted to judge it as a film. So here's my breakdown.

Good:

Vader is badass.

Han is cool, funny, great character with a lot of potential.

Luke is a good character, with some interesting backstory (I wonder if he'll find out more about his father? troll.gif )

Leia is a stronger character than I expected.

It's a little darker than I expected, blowing up Leia's planet and chopping off that guy's arm in the bar.

The blowing up of the Death Star scene was excellent, probably the most enjoyable of the movie.

Bad:

C3PO

Some of the puppetry (particularly in the bar scene) were laughably bad and really ruined the immersion.

The Storm Troopers aim. I know a lot of movie's suffer from this, but I've never seen a film have so many shots fired and so many miss their targets, even in situations where it looked more difficult to miss than kill Luke and co.

Obi Wan and Vader's lightsaber battle was the slowest most boringly choreographed fight I've ever seen, such a let down.

Obi Wan's death? It just felt so anti climactic.

Overall, I felt the universe created was better than the movie. So many characters are very one dimensional, but I hope they're developed well as we go on. But that said, I enjoyed it and for the first time in my life the prospect of watching a Star Wars film has me excited.

7/10

Edited by alive she cried

It absolutely is. But it's even more than just the hardcore fanbase. It's the general movie going and critiquing populace that regularly cite it as among the greatest films ever made, several polls have it or Episode V as the best. And that's just absolute nonsense.

But I want to stay positive here. I enjoyed the film and I'm looking forward to Episode V. It's widely regarded as the best and although I know most of the major plot points I'm looking forward to seeing them in context for the first time.

The same can be said of any universally beloved movie though, nowhere is it easier to see flaws than in something that's "perfect." Star Wars is a movie for people who like movies, which is most people, hence it's way oversold.

Empire Strikes Back is pretty great though, I think you're gonna dig it.