• 5 months later...

I

Mean

Just

Look

At

This

Shit

Every one of those masks's eyes and mouths were completely static. They were in no way convincing, and was the only dip in the otherwise high quality special effects.

I know, right? If only he would've done CGI in the remastered version to spice up those characters it would've been so much more convincing.

I hate your stupid face and the stupid words that come out of it.

Personally, I like the cantina scene. It's classic! I liked the 70s attempt at a spaceport bar filled w/ crazy-ass looking aliens. (shrugs) LOL - they tried! It's not too jarring, in my opinion. Just...dated. Gotta take it w context: the times and their budget. I totally prefer monster suits and puppets than a cantina filled w/ humans simply painted in different colors.

Hey, Alive - you should totally check out the Blurays (Special Editions). I'm sure you know they're considered 'sacrilige' - as you've been recommended to watch the de-specialized editions (the original theatrical releases). They're kinda aimed at modern eyes - audiences who didn't grow up w/ the crappy effects. People actually complain that Lucas removed the Halloween Wolfman mask and replaced him w/ an articulate alien puppet.

EDIT: Here's a link to a great site that painstakingly posted comparison shots of every altered scene of every Star Wars. Really nicely done. It links straight to Episode IV - just scroll and marvel.

http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-one.html

BTW - while I'm geekin' out on Star Wars over here: Hell ya, there are puppets in there! First alien you see is a puppet!

Review_HemDazonTSC_stillB.JPG

1gOdr7M.jpg

I gotta give a shout-out to m'boy, Hammerhead - he totally blinks in his close up. Props, yo.

405.jpg

EP4_BTS_2288.jpg

PDVD_005-e1351694767728.jpg

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

I know, right? If only he would've done CGI in the remastered version to spice up those characters it would've been so much more convincing.

I hate your stupid face and the stupid words that come out of it.

I'm not calling for cgi alterations. I always prefer to watch the original version. I'm wondering why a film, famous for it's groundbreaking use of special effects, decided to just throw it's hands up in the air and say "fuck it!" for an entire (and very important) scene.

Fair review, Alive! Did you ever get around to watching The Empire Strikes Back? Where you at on your Star Wars evaluation?

I started Empire, but got interrupted about ten minutes in, I haven't gone back to watch it properly yet. Maybe this weekend, I'll jump back on.

Hey, Alive - you should totally check out the Blurays (Special Editions). I'm sure you know they're considered 'sacrilige' - as you've been recommended to watch the de-specialized editions (the original theatrical releases). They're kinda aimed at modern eyes - audiences who didn't grow up w/ the crappy effects. People actually complain that Lucas removed the Halloween Wolfman mask and replaced him w/ an articulate alien puppet.

Like I said above, I am usually one of those sticklers that hates changes. Those images are x.gif for me, but if they replaced the Wolfman with a proper puppet then cool. But for me, even terrible practical effects are better than mediocre cgi.

I gotta give a shout-out to m'boy, Hammerhead - he totally blinks in his close up. Props, yo.

405.jpg

EP4_BTS_2288.jpg

Yeah, they weren't all bad. I don't understand why they couldn't have used more of these.

Awww, maaan - sorry! That's weird: The pics show on my laptop (where I posted 'em), but not on my Wii U. I don't know what the deal is - I'm not very computer savy. I'll edit the post and delete those pics...they were just comparison shots.

The story of the making of Star Wars (Episode IV) is a pretty interesting one. The film really is a great example of 'art through adversity'. A lot of compromises had to be made - the 'classic' Cantina scene has always been a thorn in Lucas' balls.

• 1 month later...

Fair review, Alive! Did you ever get around to watching The Empire Strikes Back? Where you at on your Star Wars evaluation?

So I watched Empire and Return this week. Here's my thoughts.

Empire Strikes Back

Good:

Vader is once again badass. Just killing and promoting unfortunate souls, and killing and promoting unfortunate souls.

I enjoyed Luke's progression. His arc became the most interesting aspect of the film.

The Han-Leia sexual tension worked, and "I know" was great, excellent scene.

Lando is fun, but a bit derivative of Han.

Luke - Vader final fight was so much better than Vader - Obi Wan. Just worlds apart.

Bad:

C3PO, though not as annoying this time. Not sure if I'm just getting used to him, or he's not as bad.

Yoda, I really struggled to take him seriously. The fact that he was voiced by Frank Oz meant that all I could see and in particular hear was Sam the Eagle for a large chunk of his scenes. He slowly started to grow on me though, with the "Do or do not, there is no try" lines.

Overall, this was an improvement over A New Hope, darker tone, stakes raised, and I can only imagine how mind blowing the big revelations would have been if seen fresh. I can see why this was so influential.

8/10

Return Of The Jedi

Good:

Jabba was cool, sadistic and his special effects were excellent.

Leia strangling Jabba, and not just standing around waiting for Luke or Han to save her. Also her bikini.

Palpatine was a great villain. Evil, ruthless, creepy.

Luke just walking in and talking with Vader, in that calm before the storm.

Luke's struggle against the dark side, and against fighting his father.

Vader's redemption.

Bad:

C3PO

Boba Fett. Without a doubt the most overrated character in the history of film. I cannot think of a single thing that he does of note, besides die hilariously. How the fuck do people compare him to Luke, Han and Vader?

Why does Lando basically become Han Solo light?

Why does Han Solo get nothing of interest to do? A huge waste of a great character. He and Boba Fett should have had more interaction and at least one big fight scene.

Why does Chewbacca do basically nothing in the whole trilogy? He's involved in a few shootouts, but I wanted to see him tear some shit up.

Ewoks. Shit My fucking Hat, what the fuck is going on with these things? Why are they in this fucking movie? I heard that originally, the plan was to use Wookiees, but instead opted for these fucking things. Everything about them was stupid, but especially a stone aged clan of teddy bears taking down the fucking Empire. Nonsense. The entire Endor portion of the movie was a waste.

Luke and Vader save this movie.

6/10

So yeah, I've finally watched Star Wars. I can safely say it was a lot better than I had first expected and nowhere near as good as it's made out to be. One great movie, one good movie and one average movie. While it's definitely not the best trilogy in cinema history, I'm really looking forward to Episode VII now. I hope Luke is or has been at some point corrupted by the force (in some way at least), test him, push his resolve. He shouldn't go the whole way, but that temptation should remain a part of his character.

Should I watch the prequels though? Do I need to? I heard something about a fan edit of the prequels that's apparently a lot more watchable, anybody heard of/seen it?

Edited by alive she cried
  • Upvote 2

LOL - "Vader is once again badass. Just killing and promoting unfortunate souls, and killing and promoting unfortunate souls."

In defense of Boba - , yeah, he really didn't so shit in Jedi. In Empire, though - he's the guy who trails Han to Cloud City, catches him and delivers him to Jabba! Plus, his costume and ship is cool! But, yeah - he has like 3 lines in the whole thing and his reputation / fanbase is ginormous.

"All I could see and in particular hear was Sam the Eagle" - LOL - that's great! LOL!

Solid and fair review - how 'bout that music? In my opinion, it elevates the whole thing. Star Wars was groundbreaking and trend setting in so many ways.

Put those Prequels under your belt! Who knows - you might enjoy 'em for what they are, by not having the decades worth of pent up hype in your soul. I agree, totally interested in your Prequel review.

Yo, Panch - you recently got the Saga on bluray. I forgot to mention this - here's an easter egg: You can watch Boba Fett's debut in a cartoon from the infamous Holiday Special. Disc 8 (Classic Trilogy archives) - click Pursued by the Imperial Fleet, then The Collection, then Concept Boba Fett Armor, then First Look. BAM - the full animated segment from the Holiday Special in which Boba Fett first appeared. "Pretty clevaaah!"

I'm really looking forward to Episode VII now. I hope Luke is or has been at some point corrupted by the force (in some way at least), test him, push his resolve. He shouldn't go the whole way, but that temptation should remain a part of his character.

Should I watch the prequels though? Do I need to? I heard something about a fan edit of the prequels that's apparently a lot more watchable, anybody heard of/seen it?

Yeah, Luke was dressed all in black in Jedi. Maybe he's become a recluse because he still doesn't have a full handle on the power of the Force. "I can help them - I feel the Force!" "But you cannot control it..." or is tempted to do things he knows he shouldn't. Some unresolved conflict within Luke would be interesting. Finding out what Luke's character has been up to the past 30 years is so exciting!

I've seen a few fan edits. I've even done one! I condensed the Prequel Trilogy down to an hour and a half - but I wouldn't recommend you watch it over the original films. I think you should watch 'em as they are - those fan edits are superfans trying to make Star Wars 'better' or 'as it should be' in their eyes.

The Classic Trilogy has genuine magic in there - in regard to the power of film and the deep universal themes going on. I don't wanna taint your expectations or viewing experience when it comes to the Prequels, but...Jar Jar Binks will require strength. LOL!!!

My remembrance of the prequels is: Episode one- Could be great if Jar Jar was not there/anakin was written better.

Episode 2 is wholly forgettable for me, minus Yoda's fight scenes.

Episode 3 is an incredibly fun sci fi flick that succeeds where the first two didn't. I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan, but Revenge doesn't deserve the hate the other ones do. And even I think they don't deserve ALL of the hate they do.

Edited by Axels

ep 1 - crap pretty much anytime a jedi's not on screen, even the exciting-ish pod racing goes on too long

everyone blames jar-jar/gungans (they sure don't help) but the only bit worth recalling is the final fight scene

ep 2 - i think the obi/jango rooftop fight was cool

big colosseum jedi fight should've been, but wasn't, because fuck fight choreography

anakin/padme love stuff is turrrible

ep 3 - damn so the jedi didn't know about any of that stuff huh

and mace gets chumped, as does grevious

what was supposed to be the entire point of the prequels - ani's heel turn - is forced & entirely disappointing

TL;DR first 2 are forgettable, the last one dropped the ball so hard it all felt pointless & left me with no desire to revisit them

also careful for spoilers E$