Hondo's Bar

NFL draft 2010

Benz

holy shit, you football fans are weird. "good kid, good person, role model" etc - this sport is about taking a ball from one end of the field to the other, yes? did that change?

what a strange thing to say. the same thing could be said of Pailin and you, you know this right? i mean, she hunts, im told, so she's 2 for 2 on you already.

i hope im never such a fanboy of anything as to speak from its "nation".

1) you're right, as usual, nicholas. the concept of an athlete being a personal role model is one that is entirely foreign to society, both cross-culturally and throughout time. and that is why there is never any debate as to whether it's appropriate for an athlete to be a role model for children. ever. thank you for pointing out to me that what public people do in their professional versus private lives, are completely separate to their fans. i mean, how many people have asked themselves, "you know?, michael vick is a truly talented football player...do i really care that he had a dog fighting establishment and drowned pit bulls that lost fights when he is so exceedingly awesome at sports? not really." probably everyone! so again, thank you for pointing out things that you wished were true, but aren't (your michael jackson love is showing right here).

2) touché. i'm one failed political career, the butt of most jokes, and 7 million "you betcha's" away from that. a girl can dream though. however, i do fish. which is a sport.

3) You know that's a thing, right? the gator nation is a thing for us? ok, so you may be right...i'm a big ole' fangirl...but at least i draw the line at having a picture of my face photoshopped onto tim tebow's head and putting it on my facebook. i mean, how lame would that be?

wait, so football and not baseball, NBA etc are role models now? again, "hero" is a big word for me, and it sure doesnt apply to athletes. to each their own, but...when the "role model" image is shattered and you find out Jordan was big on sports gambling, or let's say hypothetically your man Williams turns out to've beat his wife or something, does that tarnish what they did in the field? ive never followed this; they're paid to catch/hit/etc a ball. Pete Rose was a huge d-bag, but an amazing ball player. Phelps does weed sometimes, most everyone juices, etc. id bet a dollar Lance Armstrong is an egotistical douche in real life, but why would that matter?

was addressing the "gator nation perspective". dont mind me, im clearly in the wrong forum here.

LL: hooo boy. you're at like a 12 right now.

1) i said MJ made great music, and i loved him for that. please, please point me to where i said he was/should a role model. please do. better yet, find that post where i said he was the messiah and it was ok to cry like a sissy at sports games, that'd somehow make this comparison make sense.

@ Vick: see my prior insightful post to benny, about only concerning oneself with said athletes when they're on the field. if you're looking for moral paragons from these people, you're doing something wrong.

2) fishing is indeed a sport. i do hope you saw what i was going for, the whole "person (x) has done more than you..." logic applies to literally every political/entertainer/etc d-bag you hate, is the thing.

3) yup, i proudly have a bad photoshop that was made for me. that's the same as speaking from "the gator nation perspective". if my repeating that phrase cant illustrate how ridiculous it sounds, im not sure where to go from here. am i addressing just you here, or is this a hivemind deal? everyone has their own opinion, but the nation of daredevil fans thinks this is a bit silly.

you should be thanking me, you know. a few posts back, you went to crazytown with that rant on one half-comment from benny on your boy, followed by gun basically saying "yeah, he's alright." i'm legitimizing your irrationality here.

Football role-models is a new-ish thing, hence why Williams is mine when it comes to sports. If he had beaten his wife, no it wouldn't take away from his crazy near or above .400 batting averages. .344 career average. But he wouldn't be quite the hero of Boston that he is. It's funny though, while he played he had a crabby attitude toward his fans and the media. Later on he got over it. It wouldn't have been Ted though if he hadn't acted that way.

Gator nation? Not really my thing. More fun to hate on them though I have no real reason to. Probably the only team I hate on without a good reason to. The other teams I hate, I have a good reason to.

LL: hooo boy. you're at like a 12 right now.

1) i said MJ made great music, and i loved him for that. please, please point me to where i said he was/should a role model. please do. better yet, find that post where i said he was the messiah and it was ok to cry like a sissy at sports games, that'd somehow make this comparison make sense.

@ Vick: see my prior insightful post to benny, about only concerning oneself with said athletes when they're on the field. if you're looking for moral paragons from these people, you're doing something wrong.

2) fishing is indeed a sport. i do hope you saw what i was going for, the whole "person (x) has done more than you..." logic applies to literally every political/entertainer/etc d-bag you hate, is the thing.

3) yup, i proudly have a bad photoshop that was made for me. that's the same as speaking from "the gator nation perspective". if my repeating that phrase cant illustrate how ridiculous it sounds, im not sure where to go from here. am i addressing just you here, or is this a hivemind deal? everyone has their own opinion, but the nation of daredevil fans thinks this is a bit silly.

you should be thanking me, you know. a few posts back, you went to crazytown with that rant on one half-comment from benny on your boy, followed by gun basically saying "yeah, he's alright." i'm legitimizing your irrationality here.

i forget that you're like eli. i'm done.

aw cmon guys if i cant troll i cant interact here at all :birf2: unless you guys come around to lucha libre or something

i get that kids look up to athletes/entertainers, and their level of training, teamwork, etc can be admired. i just dont get the pedestal or making more out of them than they are; its what leads to silly shit like phelps doing some superhuman shit & bringing home the gold(s) and then people feel the need to make him apologize for doing the same shit most other people do. that's where im lost, but ive derailed this enough anyway.

yeah, alright, im presumably like eli here cause im being a bit've a dick, just wanted to jump on the fangirl rant the same way i (rightfully) got jumped on for pages of attacking JZA's shit when MJ died, to keep with your example. to make things fair: if teabow or yorke or anyone else you love dies (godforbid) soon LL, you are well within your right to call me a stupid bitch and involve my mother/etc as i did with Jay, as ive paved the way there. really, its no less irrational than benny's NY-hatred, or the fact that i'm pro-UM/anti-UF & FSU culturally, which is to say for no other reason than having been born in miami.

TL;DR: im happy you guys are happy with your teams when they win, if even just from the outside.

Yeah, unless I missed it in like the 7th round this year... I can't wait for FIU players to get picked in the draft. Nick, I'm with ya on the Pro-UM, anti UF/FSU stuff. Mostly influenced by Dark Kanigit. But I've always had a soft spot for New England teams of course like BC and UMass, etc.

troll/post all you like, Nick. I like it. It's better than no/little activity, amirite?

As a point on how huge the NFL is, the draft, where you only pick players, got ratings of 6.4ish on it's move to prime time(up 30% from last year) while the NBA playoff's with Kobe only got 3.0, more then double an acutal game... man it's not even close anymore.

Gotta love this question from NESN:

2. New York Jets: They took UMass guard Vladimir Ducasse in the second round and USC running back Joe McKnight in the fourth round. Afterward, the Jets released starting guard Alan Faneca and traded halfback Leon Washington. The Jets have been really tinkering with their roster this offseason, and these are the latest in a string of moves that have altered the core of the team. With that, will the Jets have the same chemistry in 2010 that helped them run through the playoffs last season?

I hope the answer is no.

Fuck Sanchez and fuck the Jets. Having said that though... man, have they had an offseason?! Why can't the Dolphins do THAT! Brandon Marshall aside, we haven't done much to garner attention. Oh and with Ginn gone... man, they coulda given us a flaming bag of dog shit and I woulda taken that trade. Who'd we get in the 5th round? A cornerback and a safety? Whatever, to get that guy off the roster. Ben, what do you think of the Dolphins draft? Angel?

The draft itself I think was alright for the Dolphins. Holes were filled that needed to be filled. Nothing out of this world though. The Brandon Marshal trade was spectacular! I think they'll give my Pats a run for their money this year. Just as long as neither of our teams let the Jets get into the off season again. I want more Rex tears this year, please.

Archived