Hondo's Bar

EA charging additional fee for online play

Thelogan

Well in fairness you paid $100 for an LP, an artbook & soundtrack. :2T:

I'm the sucker that paid $150

No I payed $100 for an LP, an Artbook, posters, a soundtrack and a NTSC version of the game.

Im still dissapointed that we couldn't get Kylie all fired up at the guy at Gametraders Indropilly. I was hopeing for a massive agrument, watching Kylie argue with retailers is just like watching verbal awesome.

Amazon usually gets free shipping to me within the week of a game's release. They even have an option for release-date delivery that's around six bucks, so i can still save four from brick and mortar. Also, Release Date Delivery is free with their prime subscription service, but that's eighty dollars a year... but i'm on a free month trial for it right now.
All the more reason I refer to America as 'Futuretown' and wish I could catch the next light-ferry there.
No I payed $100 for an LP, an Artbook, posters, a soundtrack and a NTSC version of the game.Im still dissapointed that we couldn't get Kylie all fired up at the guy at Gametraders Indropilly. I was hopeing for a massive agrument, watching Kylie argue with retailers is just like watching verbal awesome.
Whenever I have an unrequited desire to inject the cat with a mixture of adrenaline & speed, and sic her onto someone with their head covered in meat, my mind goes back to that day and I think of Kylie violently demoralising that Gametraders guy the same way she's worked you over for the last 4 years.4 years, right?

if you buy a product used and use the servers you are basicly getting that for free(though you could agrue it was paid for with the new purchase but that can go a bunch of ways)

how else can it be argued, though? when you sell me the game, you lose access to said servers. it still 1 person, even if i use it more than you.

As a consumer I think it sucks, alot, but I know that used game sales arn't well loved by publishers and developers as they see none of that money and it's very very big money.

very much true, and we both know a) most devs fight for the scraps left by GTA, MGS, halo, mario etc as well as b) if your name's not nintendo, you make most of your money week 1.

that said: almost every market has to deal with a used one - cars, books, automobiles, homes, etc. why do games get to say there shouldnt be a swap-shop market for consumers and get a semi-pass for bullshit like this? shouldnt they rather work to offer consumers more for buying new, rather than defaulting on limiting options?

that said: almost every market has to deal with a used one - cars, books, automobiles, homes, etc. why do games get to say there shouldnt be a swap-shop market for consumers and get a semi-pass for bullshit like this? shouldnt they rather work to offer consumers more for buying new, rather than defaulting on limiting options?

Bingo, offer a bonus for buying a new game, some small token, honestly it doesn't take much, gamers are like cats, throw something shiny and jangly at them and they'll rub their ass in your face and purr. This is going to be yet another policy that drives folks to piracy, because that one time price doesn't sound so bad at all when you've paid nothing.

To be fari though when you by a book thats it, the publisher doesn't have to keep maintaining everything, contary to popular opionin(not here but I hear this alot) Servers are neither cheap nor free. Every company tries to get people to buy new all the time, but often times their costs are also done, where as in video games with online servers there is a continuing cost.

Also about the priacy point... you do understand we are talking about console games right? there is much less piracy in the home console market(not talking about portable systems) and in the case of the ps3 there is none. Completely different enviroments. Also it can be hard to take hacked consoles online(ask nick) which means guess what, if you don't go online who gives a shit what EA charges.

wait, who the fuck is talking about piracy here? not sure how that applies.

i get that servers need maintenece (for as long as you run them, i forget how MS works this into XBL as well). but again, you sell Madden 94, i buys it, 1 person was on them, now only 1 uses it still. i just dont see giving this bad precedent a pass.

well, ill bite: how would this system work better for shooters than sports titles? far as i know, both are among the most-played genres online.

Don't forget that for a shooter the Servers can be running for years (Halo 2) while a Sports game would last just over a year.

ah, true - the life cycle is crazy-shorter. ive never bothered looking up how long EA keeps these things up, like, if you can even play Madden '08 online right now, or how far back it goes (not entirely relevant i guess, since you'd likely be alone in the lobby i figure...)

ah, true - the life cycle is crazy-shorter. ive never bothered looking up how long EA keeps these things up, like, if you can even play Madden '08 online right now, or how far back it goes (not entirely relevant i guess, since you'd likely be alone in the lobby i figure...)

You can't.

Archived