Hondo's Bar

Comic book BLARGH

Thelogan

Joe Simon gets all this cred for golden age Captain America, but lets be honest here: those books were shit. They really were awful. Try and read 'em and tell me different, I double dog dare ya.

i've never really had access to the older issues, past the original one (DC was way better years back with their archives) but i don't doubt you're right here. Kinda with ASC here though - doesn't this hold for basically every single golden/early silver age book though? i think Spider-man was the first one i sat down with and was genuinely impressed, must've been incredible at the time (amazing, even! :groucho: )

Most of the golden age super hero stuff was pretty awful, yeah, but not comics in general. I still get a kick out of some of the storytelling techniques and genuine emotion in a lot of Spirit stories (mostly the ones that hardly feature The Spirit), and a lot of the EC stuff was and is solid (MAD, Tales from the Crypt, Vault of Horror, Shock Suspense Stories, Weird Science etc. etc.)

Fuckin' Austen. I can see them coming up with a way to resurrect Magneto, but they really should have left Xorn alone. Morrison did a cool story and they just shat all over it. It's almost as bad as when Busiek made the Dark Phoenix Saga meaningless and started Jean's Kenny-esque pattern of death and forced revival so they could have the original team for X-Factor.

Edited by Thelogan

Sergio Aragones showin' how it's done. The only guy that can whip out a full sized comic book in 4 minutes and not be a hack.

If you ever catch him at a convention, hop in line. In the time it takes everyone else to give an autograph, he'll give each person a personal drawing.

I was a huge Aragones fan before I even liked comics. Drawn out Dramas and the marginal thinking(?) stuff was some of the simplest genius I'd ever beheld and is probably why I'm so find of silent cinema even now. I've picked up some Groo whenever I saw a random issue but I now I think on it's gotta be collected somewhere right? I'd hassle this guy Perez-style should the opportunity ever arise.

• 2 weeks later...

Sat down and read Maus in one sitting. It is a great story, and it is one of those things that you couldn't come up with a story like that if you tried. What Vladek and Anja went through was quite literally hell, and the way they made it through is part grit and determination and part just flat out good luck in a sense. I still don't know who sent me the book, but once again thank you, it was a great read and one I will keep on my bookshelf for a long time to come. If you haven't read it yourself, you need to.

Glad you liked it, that one is pretty amazing. And you're right: it's one of those things where you just CAN'T make that shit up. I also found myself a little surprised at the few priviliges they were given. in fiction, it's usually a blunt "locked in camp until death". It's just honesty, instead of an attempt to overly demonize the nazis (and the honesty does a damn fine job of that all on it's own). Art Spieglemen is one of those guys that I really wish would do more.

My dad describes reading Breakdowns: Portrait of the Artist as a Young %@&*! as the moment that he realized what comics could be,instead of just what they had been predominantly used for. When Spieglmen did Maus later, I think it really cemented that.

Did you also get Maus 2: The Squeakquel?

Well it was two books collected into one, so I am assuming that is had that one too.

Volume 1: My Father Bleeds History

Volume 2: And Here My Troubles Began

Volume 2 is Vladek in Auschwitz and Art and his wife visiting his father in the Catskills. If that helps.

Also wanted to say there were quite a few times I would audibly say "Holy shit" or "Oh fuck" out loud at some of things that happened. Nancy kept looking at me asking "what??" but I would just tell her I was reading the book. Though I loved the part where Vladek had to bury the people that had ratted him out. Pure justice right there.

I kinda wanted to nominate Vladek as a "Badass Motherfucker" for everything he did to survive, but really, I assume it would be what most of us would do, I hope. Plus a LOT of his survival was dependent upon an inordinate amount of luck. Still, he was definately a strong person, both physically and mentally and even morally. I am glad I got to read his story. This is definately one of those great examples of what comics CAN be, and that they aren't just superhero fantasies for adolescent boys.