Hondo's Bar

Comic book BLARGH

Thelogan

random bits of trivia i came across at newsarama:

Dick Ayers was colorblind - but he colored! He kept all his paints in jars where he could read the labels. Artists John Severin, Tim Sale, John Byrne, and Howard Chaykin are also colorblind.

Marc Silvestri and his brother posed as room service workers to get into DC editor Joe Orlando’s hotel room at the 1980 Chicago Comicon. Silvestri got his portfolio looked at, and walked out with his first professional assignment - a six-page story in House of Mystery.

Longtime DC Editor Julius Schwartz was a literary agent before the comic book business. He was Ray Bradbury’s first agent, and H. P. Lovecraft’s last.

Michael Avon Oeming actually attended a furries convention to see if that crowd would have any interest in his Mice Templar book. They had very little interest.

To get the money to print Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1, Kevin Eastman applied $500 he got from an income tax return, and a $1000 loan from his uncle Quentin. Peter Laird took $200 out of his bank account. After scrimping and saving, the pair had scraped together enough money to print 3000 copies, and take out one ad in Comic Buyers Guide to launch the book.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles creators Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman’s Mirage Studio was so named because the “studio” was Laird’s living room. The duo wanted to seem larger than they actually were, and the entire studio was a mirage.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ngozi, Marvel's newest superhero was inspired by Nigeria's chibok girls.

Ngozi.jpg

aht3oejani91ioewyuht.png

IMove over Captain America and watch out Wonder Woman, here comes Ngozi: a teenage superheroine inspired by Nigeria’s kidnapped Chibok girls who fights evil in Lagos, marking a new chapter in diversity for Marvel Comics.

Ngozi is the star of new title “Blessing in Disguise”, the first Marvel story to be set in a real-life African country - Nigeria’s commercial capital - and feature a Nigerian superhero.

The character stems from the high-profile abduction of about 220 schoolgirls in Chibok in northeast Nigeria in 2014 by the militant group Boko Haram, and the comic’s author hopes the teenage superhero will resonate with girls across the country.

“It was an important decision for me to base Ngozi on the one of the Chibok girls,” Nnedi Okorafor, an award-winning Nigeria-American writer, told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

The Chibok abduction sparked international outrage and became the most infamous act by the Islamist Boko Haram group which has killed 20,000 people and uprooted at least 2 million in a brutal eight-year campaign that shows no sign of ending.

“They were normal girls who suddenly had to deal with a huge change in their lives ... and their story of perseverance is so powerful,” Okorafor added. “Like many Nigerian girls, Ngozi comes in a small package but is strong-willed and determined.”

Fox news is at it again.

The Man of Steel has now become a propaganda tool for the defenders of illegal aliens.

In the most recent issue of Action Comics, Superman comes to the rescue of a group of illegal aliens -- under attack from a white guy wearing an American flag bandana and waving around a machine gun.

------

Instead of rounding up the illegals and flying them back to where they came from, the Man of Steel snatches the white guy and with a menacing look snarls, "The only person responsible for the blackness smothering your soul -- is you."

Remember when Superman stood for truth, justice and the American way? Then again, Clark Kent is technically an illegal alien – a native of Krypton.

I reckon it's only a matter of time before DC Comics unleashes other superheroes in its corporate quest to defend the alien invaders.

So don't be surprised to see the Flash rushing Mexicans across the border or Wonder Woman using her lasso to round up Texas ranchers trying to defend their property.

It's unfortunate that DC Comics is turning its stable of iconic heroes into political pawns – hell-bent on indoctrinating our kids.

• 3 months later...
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think this would be where to post something like this?

mortwalker01.jpg

Mort Walker passed away on Saturday.  94 years young.

I just went off the other day on how this dude affected me in my 'impressionable' years.  (gulp)

2996ff60dbc7f5f2631529ff5ef5274a528c05e1

An icon of the 'comic strip' - he was the creator of Beetle Bailey - and founder of the International Museum of Cartoon and Comic Art.  Passionate and fuckin' driven' - totally had an impact on me.

"Be passionate.  Do what you love.  Being able to make a living of out that?  That's a bonus."

RIP - Mr. Mort

Not forgotten.  ^_^

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On one hand all he traced was the pose. I trace poses all the time. It's built into my drawing software I use. There are blank poseable figures that I use to draw over and put details onto.

But that leads i to another question: why not just use that fucking software, literally called Manga Studio (formally)?

So is the problem with the tracing itself, or tracing from another artist? Cause the latter is problematic, and just wrong.