Hondo's Bar

True Blood

The NZA

True Blood Character Poll  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Damn, last ep was something of a prick tease. I see

Sookie did that glowy hand thing again. I was wondering when they were going to explore that further since she used it on Maryann last season.

Oh and can someone please for the love of god let me know what's going on with Jason? His storyline is fucking baffling at the moment and doesn't seem to have a shred of relevance to anything. Franklin is my new hero though. So hilariously unhinged.

Some of the dialogue between him and Tara (who has redeemed herself slightly) are just priceless.

'True Blood' Must Get Cleaned Up For Syndication

Sauce

For years on end, HBO had produced, debuted and presented cutting-edge programming for the mature audience. A recent hit HBO program, True Blood, follows the popular vampire/werewolf fad that has taken over in today’s society. It also follows HBO’s trend of introducing programs that feature graphic and sexual content.

But a big change will happen with True Blood if the show gets syndicated like the network hopes.

Fans can say goodbye to the kinky sex scenes and frequent stripping of clothes from Oscar-winner Alan Ball if the gore-filled series hits basic cable. HBO hopes to sell the series for $800,000 an episode to be viewed on basic cable, but of course the show is in dire need of editing before it can be viewed on regular cable.

Since non-premium channels rely on advertisers to make money, they need to conform to more strict guidelines when it comes to what can be shown. Often times, failure to comply can result in expensive fines and even the cancellation of programs.

The story lines of the beloved characters from True Blood will remain the same, but they will endure a good polish to make them appropriate for a general audience or at least TV-14 if the show becomes

• 4 weeks later...

YES!! Completely agreed. I swear, the last 10 minutes of this week's ep was just about the coolest thing I've seen on TV. Reminded me of the kinda nightmare superhero scenario Warren Ellis might write about or something.

O/T but speaking of, I'm keenly awaiting my Black Summer HC, and pending how much I like it No Hero will follow

caught this week's ep, who's caught up?

1) sam and jason were both badasses this time. i fucking love sam.

2) that trashy family of meth-heads = wolves, yeah? or uh goblins or some new shit?

3) Eric Northman and his viking plot of revenge is cool again. no word on Bill.

4) WTF @ that Dr Doom ending! MWAHAHA :muahaha: some Dr Doom shit up in here. i wanna call shark-jumping, but sen's right: its fun, and im still on board.

caught this week's ep, who's caught up?

1) sam and jason were both badasses this time. i fucking love sam.

2) that trashy family of meth-heads = wolves, yeah? or uh goblins or some new shit?

3) Eric Northman and his viking plot of revenge is cool again. no word on Bill.

4) WTF @ that Dr Doom ending! MWAHAHA :muahaha: some Dr Doom shit up in here. i wanna call shark-jumping, but sen's right: its fun, and im still on board.

The girls(who've read the books) keep alluding to 'ancient emnities' involving

shifters like Sam & his brother and whatever the methheads are. Might be wolves. But who really likes methheads? I'd fucking have an ancient emnity

Edited by The JZA

Fucking hell, I was worried the plot was meandering a tad but that last ep kicked everything swiftly up the arse and told it to get a move on. It was a blatant "tying up loose ends before the real fun begins" episode but it was needed.

Russell Edgington. Badass. That is all. "Now time for the weather, Tiffany" Lmao! Also nice to see Sam kick a bit of ass. I sound like a woman I know but even the romantic storylines are oddly fascinating. The Lafayette and Jesus, Jessica and Hoyt ones to be exact.

Those Vampire Feds were cool as fuck too! I'm assuming Russells deboning of the news anchor and hateful speech will put the public firmly against the vampire rights amendment too. It all better lead to some sort of epic vampire civil war or I'll be pissed.

Was kind of unsettling to see the British Vampire version of me get shot though.

Was kind of unsettling to see the British Vampire version of me get shot though.

Nah, that guy was cool at first, but then just became too much. I was actually starting to feel for Tara. That fucker NEEDED to die... unlike you, of course.

Hahahaha Good to see you spotted it too.

But yeah, cue Vampire registration and NZA pulling the acoustic guitar back out and singing about how cool Steve Rogers is.

Heh funny you should say that given I bought Civil War today. Must post up my collection sometime. It's on the verge of becoming mildly respectable (for a newb anywho). Off topic anyway...

Nah, that guy was cool at first, but then just became too much. I was actually starting to feel for Tara. That fucker NEEDED to die... unlike you, of course.

Yeah, he was one of those loose ends I talked about. I'm starting to not hate Tara as much as I used to though.

oh, im glad

brit-crim died too, but im loving Terra less - last 2 seasons, its like she's had Sookie-level of stupidity in judgment. yeah, Mary-Anne's place is fine, nothing's amiss there! strangers do this all the time. hey, why not follow that vamp back home? jesus, how far removed are you from Lafayette...

Shane, you're setting yourself up for disappointment in hoping for vamp civil war: yeah, he's 3k, but how old are the authority? i expect a) Eric gets the backup he sought, and b) we find out how much it takes to take this dude down, but only the dumbasses ally themselves with him. could be wrong, but hey, if i was, that'd be crazy exciting too.

oh, im glad

brit-crim died too, but im loving Terra less - last 2 seasons, its like she's had Sookie-level of stupidity in judgment. yeah, Mary-Anne's place is fine, nothing's amiss there! strangers do this all the time. hey, why not follow that vamp back home? jesus, how far removed are you from Lafayette...

Shane, you're setting yourself up for disappointment in hoping for vamp civil war: yeah, he's 3k, but how old are the authority? i expect a) Eric gets the backup he sought, and b) we find out how much it takes to take this dude down, but only the dumbasses ally themselves with him. could be wrong, but hey, if i was, that'd be crazy exciting too.

3000 years is about the oldest we've seen in the show so far. Plus didn't Eric say that the Authority is only a few hundred years old? I know that doesn't refer to the vampires themselves but the organisation. Still it seems the most opportunistic and clever vamps rather than the oldest (and strongest) are the ones that get into positions of power while the ancient ones are happy to sit in their lavish mansions and yearn for the old school days.

I think you're right about Eric. The AVL will send in the cavalry. I'm confused about the age thing with the vamps though. Is it completely immutable in the way that its nigh on impossible for a younger one to kill an older one? Could a younger vampire still get the drop on an older one if only by sheer dumb luck?

yeah, im with you: totally not sure if the "only a few hundred years old" thing was the group or its members. could you hear them? were they speaking romanian or some shit? weird that this guy is older than Godrick.

your 2nd bit: i think we got our answer when Bill tried to attack the king; the dude basically shrugged and he hit the vaulted ceiling, hard. if i had to guess...Bill or Eric gets some of Sookie's magic-blood TM and strikes during the day when the king is napping, and the whitetrash wolves get dealt with in the process. just a conjecture.

Hmmm I like shows with things that can be mulled. Here's some more food for thought.

Russell Edgington. Fairly anglo-saxon sounding name. 3000 thousand years ago I reckon names had more in the way of a Germanic or Latin sound to them. I'm not a linguist so I'm just guessing here but his name sounds awfully modern for someone that old. He looks european/caucasian and obviously doesn't come from America given it wasn't even discovered when he was turned.

There's also the far more likely possibility he was called something totally different when he was turned but just adopted a more modern name to keep up with the times. Same deal with Eric. I know Eric is a fairly ancient Nordic name but I doubt any vikings were called Northman. Could be a rough translation too.

I'm just thinking out loud really but the origins of the vamps are what really fascinate me.

There's a True Blood Comic doing the rounds, but I get the impression it's just more mas-material for the Twilight crowd about Bill & Sookie. An 'untold tales' title would be good for a series like this since the girls are pretty much treating the series as an alternate reality to the books.

I'd say that vamps that are even only a few hundred years old, brandishing silver & UV will probably be able to put a dent into even a much more senior vamp.

I guarantee you the military leg of the AVL is made up of noobs. There's not going to be a lot of vamps happy to hunt/coral their own for millenia, but then I'm hoping to see some Patton-esque grizzeled career military man by way of the Sesame Street's Count, complete with sunlight burns and maybe a silver hand or something.

Regarding names, it'd have to be an evolution especially when you factor that integration/vampire 'outing' is still something of the last what, decade or so? So prior to that older vamps would either be fringe-dwellers/off the grid, or updating their identities every 60 or so years to avoid suspicion.

its funny, i was kinda thinking that stuff - dude would've had to have lived through babylonian, summerian and all kinds've early cultures we dont know much on. i pretty much assume any name these guys go by is likely bullshit, yeah. im with JZA on the updating identity every so often thing. for me, im like bish, im interested in the vamp politics, really wanna see these old-world motherfuckers.

you know what's far more unbelievable to me, though? the fact that everyone - even the biggest pacifist - doesn't carry a gun with wooden bullets, or at least wear silver. i'm sorry; it's a known thing that humans no longer top the food chain? there's something possibly indistinguishable that's faster, stronger, and survives specifically by treating you as prey? how naive would you have to be to not carry any form of weapon? fuck that, silver scarfs or something would be huge. i mean, sookie's possibly white-witch-ass can have Dazzler-powers when threatened, and even she's fucking helpless most of the time ("HOW DOES THIS SHOTGUN WORK?!"), ugh i cringe everytime someone says dont worry, they'll be fine. no, you won't; half of you are too stupid to not look away when a predator who can glam you is demanding to be invited in.

i dunno, might just be me, but the fact that - louisiana be damned - more dudes arent loaded for bear like Blade throws me off a bit. its no longer urban myth in their world.

Aye the names thing makes sense.

It would be cool to see this Vamp veteran type haha. Like a vet of something like the Napoleonic war or even as far back as The Crusades. I like how the V Feds (seriously how fucking cool is that?) use silver like handcuffs. Wonder what those guns fire? Probably wooden or silver bullets.

They could always do a 'Village' type scenario where the story expands out of LA and it turns out that the south is still just retarded, and the rest of the world is pretty much in martial law, designating states like LA to be 'vampire habitats' or something...

I finally got up to speed w/ this season last night. I agree w/ all the Russell Edgington love (that poll really needs to be updated), but as cool as all the AVL vs Russell stuff is, I'm much more impressed by all the great sub-plots for the supporting characters. I'm not sure how much of this stuff is from the novels and how much is new to the show (didn't Lafayette die in the first novel?) but it's damn fine drama.

* The Sookie & Bill shit finally got interesting. Two blood soaked nekid Anna Paquin sex scenes in a row! Is it too much to hope for a third? And how about finally getting to know more about Sookie's powers and origins? Um, the whole "astral plane" frolicking around a pond in a cemetery was almost as gay as Lafayette and his new Hispanic boy-toy though. I dig how her nephew is also in possession of "the light." I'm intrigued to find out just what this "light" is and what its origins and full implications are.

* Sam and his dog fighting white trash family! I love how he went ballistic on that meth-daddy.

*I feel Jason is kinda getting the shrift this season though. He had such a great arc last season, but this year his scenes w/ "Sheriff Andy" are playing kinda dull for me. As are the ones w/ him and his inexplicable fascination w/ Crystal and her backwoods meth-clan. I agree w/ Nick on them likely being werewolves, but you never know w/ this show. His best scene came when he bullet-staked that Shane-vamp. ;) Speaking of which...

* Tara is finally sympathetic again. I wonder who this new waitress is? I hope she's not some fucking supernatural whatever and is just a "normal" person (as normal as a woman who was raped for 5 hours by a co-worker can be--I've a feeling that might've been vamp related though...just an unsubstantiated theory) who just cares about her co-workers. Merlott's has enough waitress drama as is.

*Last season I couldn't have cared less about Hoyt, Arlene, and Terry but this season they've all been fleshed out and given some excellent scenes and overall development. I could almost see a Jessica/Hoyt spin-off possibly working. Maybe they move from the hotbed of supernatural activity which is the backwoods of Louisiana and someplace less dangerous..like NYC or Beirut.

They could always do a 'Village' type scenario where the story expands out of LA and it turns out that the south is still just retarded, and the rest of the world is pretty much in martial law, designating states like LA to be 'vampire habitats' or something...

I'm pretty sure them thar's fightin' words. *rolls up sleeves*

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

As far as the comic goes... don't waste your time. Basically just an untold tale like Jay said. Not even a good one. A little bit of flashbacking to real early shit that ties in to the 2 seasons so far, but that's it. I gave it a try cause Mary wanted to read more comics and J. Scott Campbell doin' covers gets me every time.