Hondo's Bar

Mortal Kombat reboot

It's a video game movie, based on a game with a shitty story to begin with that honestly wasn't even that good, and all they're doing is making a slightly darker version of the previous iterations with writing gems like a "lizard man" who keeps the heads of his victims in his fridge to eat when he gets hungry, an action star signing up with the police to do undercover because he "needs work", and a martial arts tournament being held exclusively for serial killers. I'm going to go ahead and tell you that now.

Hey when you pitch that to me like that, I kinda wanna see it.

Nickname: 'Lizard' is the least of it, infact I really dug the infection element there(god knows I'm a sucker for a villian with blood cancer disease), it's more the grappling hook assassin with no pupils, the intelligence Agent & police/ unit captain who will inexplicably be involved in the tournament despite being grossly undertrained & not homicidal maniacs, and what I anticipate to be a blatant ommision of Lambert as Raiden that defy the suspension of belief required to be able to enjoy this on any level other than 'kitch'.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forsee a gritty-cam flashback of Shao Kahn & a clydesdale horse getting amorous to the soundtrack from Se7en.

I completely forgot about mad plastic surgeon Baraka too. Forget what I said about suspension of disbelief. This is going to be a juggalo snuff film.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just watched the jax sonya and kano eps. I'm accually enjoying this. Some dodgy acting but the fighting bits are pretty good. The whole how Jax and Kano got terminatored up is pretty sweet.

MK at heart is silly and fun and so is this web series.

And it's better than anything branded MK in the last 10 years.

Are you serious? I could do better than this with a handful of high school actors, some corn syrup, and an hour on a public access channel. I love me some Michale Jai White and I find Jeri Ryan to be tolerable, but this is mid-90s direct-to-video Franko Nero vehicle bad.

AH Baytor, you're judging this by a different standard. Webisodes with well-past-expired actors like Michael Jai White* and Geri Ryan are basically the same thing as high school drama club & public access TV. It's a friggin' love project man, they might sell a few DVDs and maybe pick up some advertising, but I don't see how they're making a lot of money off this, and they're obviously spending their money as best they can. They got the guy who did the Kill Bill animation sequence ffs!

I agree that it's dodgy as hell, but I haven't seen scabies-Reptile again yet and while they're not going to ever make shit like that or Sub-zero's abilities anything less than retarded, they're at least giving enough background for us to maybe forgive it. And dirty Geri Ryan is STILL a dead ringer for Gollum.

*Michael Jai White IS getting a lot more work though, to great effect. Black Dynamite's the shit.

Edited by The JZA

Mortal Kombat isn't a very high bar to get over.

With what they have in production values I think they are doing quite well.

I have to say the Raiden ep was a bit of a let down I swear you could replace the words Raiden and Mortal Kombat with Sarah Conner and Skynet and we would have the poor mans T2.

Also Striker is annoying me why isn't he wearing a backwards baseball cap and a blue jersey.

1166455919_f.jpg

Yeah they should of got that guy to play him.

^look at my post. it's right up there.

Yeah the Raiden ep was odd, I mean, is he immune to lobotomies or wha'? And who the hell just goes straight to that? When they said 'employing more archaic means' I figured we were talking shock therapy which obviously would have sorted things out a lot sooner, but maybe someone, at some point in these things needed to address the constant regeneration of these guys after every fight to the death. Loved the fact that dressed as he was he drops in an asylum though.

Fighting games have a more tenuous grasp on reason & logic than most games(except Peter Molyneux stuff ZING), so it stands that anything based on 'em is pretty fucking stupid. Street Fighter was probably the most DTE attempt at placing a story framework on the premise and even that was camp-as-hell.

Edited by The NZA
redundancy police strike again, again

I dug Raiden episode. At least the actor that played him. I can buy that he's immune to lobotomies if he's the God of Thunder. Especially after pulling that Doc Manhattan teleport trick. At least we know he's gonna have a big hat now!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...