Hondo's Bar

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

The NZA

35lb3ub.jpg

its official. the more i see this art style, the more i love it.

quick post-conference observations:

1) if it isnt obvious, the HUD is on for demo purposes only, and wont be there during the game.

2) poor Shiggy only struggled due to halogen light intereference; every game journalist who got hands on that ive read said it played perfect 1:1, will post impressions as well, later.

3) roll button looks gone, replaced with a dash? interesting.

z4_17cx8.gif

the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-20100615103817344.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-20100615103844343.jpg

bildernazelda_214689box7t.jpg

e6841af820c01baaec5c1b3a9163e134.jpg

2cde4ac380188779b11fffdfd122f8e0.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-20100615103910467.jpg

330a67de4f0a685a52a6f63dda8c902c.jpg

e07babbda636e040d3003c5213ed42f5.jpg

529aa63df21b1ae07f884b2762c01cdb.jpg

23644f6baf47fb84ed7c2d9bf0d30ca5.jpg

eea4a6163cdf665ce629a3e3e38be852.jpg

1e74c910bdb93487a9b180b253cce9e4.jpg

my god, look at that overworld.

9d8c8ddd55927962208404f914859ff5.jpg

33dxbo2.jpg

sorry, little e3 memento there

watercolour-ish artstyle, appeasing the WW & TP crowds both. i love it; works well with Wii hardware and will likely age far better than TP.

impressions:

http://www.zeldainformer.com/2010/06...sions.php#more

http://www.gamexplain.com/article-12...-hands-on.html

more to come. gotta go look up cam-videos, one dude is saying the map resembles LTTP :ghost:

impressions: wired

The Wii MotionPlus controller, which the game will require, will be used in a wide variety of ways. First and foremost, it’ll make Link’s sword-swinging a lot more accurate. Slash the Wii remote up and down, and he’ll do a vertical slice. Slash left to right and it’ll be horizontal.

I played the E3 demo of Skyward Sword following Nintendo’s press conference. Although it was only a brief experience meant to introduce players to the more complex control scheme, it showed that Zelda can integrate more complex swordplay while still feeling very much like a traditional Zelda adventure. This isn’t the Nintendo version of Dragon Quest Swords; this is the real thing.

Just as in the live demo that took place onstage this morning, I first encountered evil Venus flytrap plants. Some of them opened their mouths vertically, others horizontally, so that’s how I had to swing my sword to defeat them. I tried playing around with the controls. Although they didn’t work so well in the onstage Zelda demo, thanks to wireless interference, everything felt polished and perfect when I played. Swinging diagonally caused Link’s sword motion to match; when I put my hand down to the ground and swung upward in a giant arc, so did Link.

IGN

Rising out of the stage, like King Arthur's mythical sword in the stone, Zelda Skyward Sword units arose from the front of the stage immediately after the Nintendo E3 2010 Press Conference and we were first in line. We're very relieved to report that the Motion Plus controls work sensationally accurately with Link's Sword. The in-game sword followed our arm's movements precisely as we waved it about. Better yet, directional slashes are recorded accurately on enemies and scenery. For example, running up to a giant mushroom and slashing at it left a range of cut marks in precisely the same path our sword passed through it.

We were only allowed to play very briefly with Zelda Skyward Sword so Link's sword was the only weapon we got to try out but keep an eye on IGN for in-depth gameplay impressions very soon. Although the game is in very early shape we came away really impressed with the precision of the new swordplay. Having a crazily accurate sword is the sort of thing the Wii was built for and we couldn't be more excited to play more. Rest assured Zelda's gameplay absolutely cuts Red Steel 2's swordplay to pieces!

weird they didnt demo it again beforehand on the floor, but oh well, least im not worried about that.

2zzi88j.jpg

z3_1_2dftl.gif

for real thought, im with benny, this looks awesome. sorry if you're sitting this round out, newt - a 1:1 built from the ground up for Wii Zelda that looks like that is, by all hands-on accounts, awesome. between this & Epic Mickey's new design, they're on a roll.

Your such a tool.

2849622655_45410ea072.jpg

...I've lost count.

Anyways, back to the real conversation, so far I'm with you, Nick, Nintendo's kicking ass at E3. I gotta check out what they said about SW: The Old Republic too... (I know MMO's aren't your thing, but to me it looks bad as hell)

kotaku had some last-minute info from Miyamoto & Aonuma, some talk on 3DS (Ocarina of Time wasnt necessarily confirmed, but Miyamoto said it was still considered a tech demo...even though Nintendo's site lists it as a title), but mostly on this one:

-Miyamoto had a little trouble with his on-stage demo of Zelda: Skyward Sword earlier today. "It was supposed to be a spectacular playthrough", he says, "but it ended shamefully". He blames wireless interference for the technical woes, so he and series boss Eiji Aonuma are going to repeat the demo now in a more sedate environment.

- Skyward Sword will, they say, feature a new map, one that's a lot easier to follow than previous attempts. This should cut down on the amount of time you spend "lost", apparently.

- Aonuma says that recent Zeldas have been focusing on things like story and dungeons. Skyward will instead focus on "fun".

Live From Nintendo's E3 Briefing: More On Zelda, 3DS, Pikmin

- Miyamoto says that this time last year, when the new Zelda was first unveiled, the core gameplay was already in an almost complete state. But the art was not. Hence the change in style from what we saw in 2009 to what we saw earlier today.

- While the game is now nearly finished, with only a few more dungeons and bosses to go, Nintendo want to give the development team the rest of the year to complete the game. Which makes it sound like a 2011 game.

- Aonuma says that the scene which concludes the trailer, in which Link leaps off a cliff into a sea of clouds, is an important story point. Instead of being raised in a village on the ground, he's been brought up in a town called Skyloft, which is a floating island.

- He's lived his life in the clouds, and has only recently "discovered" the land below, which he finds has been overrun with evil forces. You spend the game going back and forth between these two regions: Skyloft, and the ground below.

- The "Skyward Sword" you see in the trailer and screenshots eventually becomes the Master Sword.

- Skyward's unique visual style, which looks like a halfway meeting between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, was inspired by Miyamoto's love of impressionism, and the skies in the game are a tribute to Cézanne.

- Miyamoto jokes that if the game used Twilight Princess' art style, it "would have been done by now".

- Aonuma is quickly back onto Ocarina on 3DS, saying that it should make some of the tougher parts of the game easier; the Water Temple, for example, because with the touch-screen things like changing boots are a lot quicker and easier.

- Now back to Skyward Sword; Aonuma says that the final version of the game will ship with support for both MotionPlus and the sensor bar, so that things like archery can be as accurate as possible (similar to how Red Steel 2 was able to ensure the game never "lost you" if you stopped pointing the Wii Remote at the screen).

- The HUD we've seen in Skyward Swords can be switched off if you think it clutters things up too much.

- Mario Galaxy 2 had a big, thunderous orchestral soundtrack. Will Skyward follow suit? Miyamoto says Nintendo couldn't do what it did with Galaxy 2 and not do the same with the next Zelda.

- The long-awaited Pikmin game is a no-show. Miyamoto says that, because of the 3DS and Zelda, if Pikmin had been shown off today as well it would have been overshadowed.

- Miyamoto does want to assure everyone, though, that Nintendo is still working on a new Pikmin game.

- According to Miyamoto, the majority of the development team responsible for Spirit Tracks is now doing the heavy lifting on Skyward Sword.

yeah, i left the Pikmin stuff in there, just because. anyway, hype!

- The "Skyward Sword" you see in the trailer and screenshots eventually becomes the Master Sword.

Awesome, and of course. It wouldn't be Zelda if this didn't happen in every game.

- Aonuma says that the scene which concludes the trailer, in which Link leaps off a cliff into a sea of clouds, is an important story point. Instead of being raised in a village on the ground, he's been brought up in a town called Skyloft, which is a floating island.

- He's lived his life in the clouds, and has only recently "discovered" the land below, which he finds has been overrun with evil forces. You spend the game going back and forth between these two regions: Skyloft, and the ground below.

Interesting take on the Story. Sounds a bit Windwaker-ish but without sounding like you'll be sailing around for 99.99% of the damn game. I hope there's a good link(heh, no pun intended) back to the original Link/Story here.

- Aonuma says that recent Zeldas have been focusing on things like story and dungeons. Skyward will instead focus on "fun".

Cool. But I hope they don't skimp too much on Story or Dungeons.

moar!

Skyward Sword is, indeed, the very first Zelda – before Ocarina of Time. In Skyward Sword, Link is a young boy born into a land above the clouds, called Skyloft. Of course, there’s a land beneath the clouds, but Link is told that it is ruled by “evil forces.”

Naturally, a series of events surrounding these evil forces prompt Link to break through the cloud bank – that’s the scene with Link jumping off the cliff, and it’s very poignant – and enter the land beneath the clouds.

Potential spoilers follow, so I’ve broken the post here. Keep reading for the rest of the plot!

Of course, the reason he goes down beneath the clouds is to retrieve the game’s namesake item – the Skyward Sword. The Skyward Sword is intelligent and assumes the humanoid form we’ve seen in the released artwork.

The Skyward Sword – and in turn the humanoid form it transforms into – eventually becomes the Master Sword.

So, for all of you who thought that Adelle – or whatever her true name is – was the Master Sword, you were correct! And for the rest of you just getting your feet wet with Skyward Sword information, stay tuned – more information about Skyward Sword is coming out of Nintendo every minute

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Finishing touches being placed on skyward sword!

We first heard about the latest entry in The Legend of Zelda series back at E3, and according to Nintendo's investment meeting this week, Skyward Sword is already getting its last bit of polish.

Since the latest Wii entry is getting its "finishing touches" it looks like Skyward Sword is on schedule for a 2011 release. Who else is excited?

honestly wasn't even expecting this title this year, be really cool if we see it by the holidays.

also, can't recall if i bothered mentioning it (this thread is kind've a cesspool) but Miyamoto confirmed the soundtrack's orchestral

gun - you really do, superior GC version only though.

jax - there wasn't a great deal of footage/settings, and they made it sound just post-beta at the time. nintendo's not know for rushing it out the door, so yeah, i expected holiday 2011 for japan optimistically. it's always nice when they're further along than you think, especially given that i believe EAD is working on other projects as well.

gun - you really do, superior GC version only though.

jax - there wasn't a great deal of footage/settings, and they made it sound just post-beta at the time. nintendo's not know for rushing it out the door, so yeah, i expected holiday 2011 for japan optimistically. it's always nice when they're further along than you think, especially given that i believe EAD is working on other projects as well.

Through dolphin, that was the plan, it's just 3 or 4 games deep on the backlog.

I think you'll see worldwide release this year, what else doe the wii have?(xenoblade last story wishing aside) I can't think of any big rleases this year and I figure we'll have Wii2 by the end of 2012.

• 4 months later...

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:moses:video:gametrailers.com:715357" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Tags: <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com">GameTrailers.com</a>, <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-zelda-skyward/715357">E3 2011: Extended Boss Gameplay (Cam) HD</a>, <a href="http://pc.gametrailers.com/">PC Games</a>, <a href="http://ps3.gametrailers.com/">PlayStation 3</a>, <a href="http://xbox360.gametrailers.com/">Xbox 360</a></p></div></div>

• 2 months later...