Hondo's Bar

Silent Hill: Downpour

bishopcruz

Looks pretty cool, town looks particularly amazing and creepy. Sadly Akira Yamaoka is no longer on music, and that makes me sad, the new guy is the composer from Dexter, and he seems good, but the feel will have to be different, because, I mean, he's not Yamaoka.

I'm on the fence here. I liked the new music and I think if I can just go into this for what it is I think it will be a lot of fun/creepy even without Yamaoka composing. At the same time I noticed there was a lot of pulling references from the movie which isn't necessarily a bad thing since Origins tried to bridge that gap anyway but it's going to take some getting used to going away from the Silent Hill I knew and loved. (If they take the taco shack out imma be so mad) I like the visual play of Silent Hill as a prison they flashed to a couple times. Maybe I just need to watch the trailer a couple more times or wait for some new information on it before i'm completely sold.

bought. SH has yet to disappoint.

*edit: besides Origin, anyway. also, i miss Yamaoka too but Dexter composer? fuck, good call.

ps bish i know you watch Dexter, try this:

ok sold. Fuck, yeah I thought the music in the trailer was good, but was unsure, after hearing this, sold.

please get Yamaoka to do a vocal Konami. At least that, please.

In other news, just got the PC version of 4 for like $10. After hearing so much about it I kinda had to.

Hmmm. I am actually experiencing what I will describe as cautious anticipation on this one.

-Graphics look really, really polished, the interiors and exteriors are richer that they've ever been, love it.

-Atmosphere of the trailer was spot on.

-Daniel Licht, excellent choice for composer. While part of me is saddened by Yamaoka's departure, I am glad they realized that Score=Atmophere and Atmophere=Silent Hill. I have no doubt Licht will deliver that crucial element in this entry.

-'Prision-like' other world, while explored in previous entries, resonates with the protagonist.

-Not a single of nurse in the trailer....good sign.

All good signs.

In the grander scheme I don't like the "Some person ends up wandering/compelled to go into an evil town" formula they seem to keep going with. That is coming to a dead end but quick, and each entry only strengthens the need to stick to that formula.

In the grander scheme I don't like the "Some person ends up wandering/compelled to go into an evil town" formula they seem to keep going with. That is coming to a dead end but quick, and each entry only strengthens the need to stick to that formula.

Actually couldn't you say that the looking for someone formula is more worn down? Break it down by main characters, sans spoilers.

Harry - Looking for his daughter

James - Looking for his wife

Heather -

O.k she was kinda called there

4 - (Haven't started)

Origins - Broke down truck, ends up looking for his past

Shattered Memories - See 1

I think the "escape into a strange town" idea might just work well for this one especially the way they are twisting the town to represent the protagonist.

Harry - Looking for his daughter

James - Looking for his wife

Heather -

O.k she was kinda called there

4 - (Haven't started)

Origins - Broke down truck, ends up looking for his past

Shattered Memories - See 1

Well, couldn't you say the protagonists that were looking for someone were "compelled" to do so.... :no:

The Room (SH4), breaks formula more than any of the rest. This is one of the reasons that it is often met with the ire of the SH community. It's also why I hold it so dear, and lament the "me toos" that have followed it in the series. Play four. Do it. Now.

• 6 months later...

new info!

Silent Hill: Downpour is the official title for the new Vatra/Konami Silent Hill title for PS3 and Xbox 360. Text from the scans was hard to read but here's some info from what I could make out:

-demo takes place in the outskirts of SH

-the town is so large that you can use a subway system to travel between focal points

-sidequests

-avoid fights when possible, better to deliver incapacitating blows and run away (so good!)

-boss fights with quicktime events (not so good)

-water plays a huge part in the game, bizarre water effects like what looks like an upside down river flowing across a ceiling is described

-prominent locations in the older installments like schools and hospitals will not return

-the southeastern part of Silent Hill that you see on the maps in the older games but never go to is the area that will be explored in Downpour

-no weapon inventory, weapons weaken and break

-there will be puzzle difficulty options

gonna focus on water the way shattered memories did on ice...some good and some bad in this update, my interest is still piqued.

Within the pages of the February Game Informer, Konami has pulled back the curtain on the mysterious new horrors that await, revealing the third-person horror game is called Silent Hill: Downpour. We already knew the main character would be escaped convict Murphy Pendleton, who finds himself lost in the hellish town, and new to the series would be sidequests that would change depending on your play style.

“If you look at the whole series, and the way that we chose to look at the series – Silent Hill has an entity, a genius loci – is the main character,”Brian Gomez, design director at the developer says. “Silent Hill the town is the star of the show. In the way that Jigsaw is in Saw, he’s the inciting force and events transpire around him. That’s what Silent Hill is like. So we see Silent Hill as the only consistent character across the whole series. It’s really about who you plug into it. You get a different result whenever you plug in a different person with different psychology, a different load of guilt or remorse that they’re carrying around with them.”

The magazine recounts their demo in a very Alan Wake-ish area, stating that the environment — which won’t be restricted to just the town itself — is so enormous that players will be able to use a subway system, taking them between set locations. Building on what was introduced in last fall’s Silent Hill: Shattered Memories for Wii, Downpour will place an emphasis on avoiding combat where possible, encouraging a tactic of injuring monsters and then running away. When combat is necessary, you will be vulnerable and use weapons that can break over time, and also will not have an inventory. Damage will be conveyed to the player via a pool of blood that will form on Murphy’s back. As for boss fights, expect joyous quicktime events. Puzzles will also feature difficulty options.

The developers say that “thematically, psychologically and story-wise”, water will play a big part in Downpour, with visual trickery like a river flowing on a ceiling and more. As for areas of exploration, don’t look for the old Silent Hill staples of schools or hospitals, because thy aren’t here; however, players will finally get to venture to the southeastern portion of the town regularly seen on in-game maps in older titles. The infamous otherworld sections are being redone, meant to play out like their own levels. Vatra says, “Our world isn’t nearly as uniform as some of the more recent Silent Hill games were. With Silent Hill: Shattered Memories there was always a chase sequence every time the otherworld happened.”

Lastly, gone is the free-roaming camera brought forth in Homecoming. Downpour will bring back the fixed/static camera, along with a player controlled camera. And for series fans, Vatra insists that there will be ties into past games you’ll recognize, but Downpour‘s story isn’t related to past events. “You’re never going to dig up Murphy’s past and discover that he’s the great, great, great grandson of The Order or something like that. You’ll find some nice little tie-ins for the fans, but Murphy’s story is Murphy’s story. It has nothing to do with Alessa, or James, or anybody.”

Read more: http://www.wouldyoukindly.com/next-silent-hill-subtitled-downpour-first-details-creep-out/#ixzz1Akbv6C8G

Wow. It sounds like these guys fucking get it. I eagerly await more!

yeah, i think they're going for the HUD-less look that Dead Space did, and honestly, if they manage it, ill be much happier to see no life bars/etc cluttering up the environment, for me. i like what im reading here, let's hope they can resist the urge to put in Pyramid Heads...they were at least somewhat tasteful in Homecoming, but really, they only belong in

James' head

Selling out has its perks

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lAWIAVztXY?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lAWIAVztXY?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lAWIAVztXY?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

that's funny, i always put nurses with the hospitals (both now gone), never connected either to pyramid head. huh.

i too like the concept of the town itself being central, as well as ditching some past troupes...honestly, exploring the south region that we never got to is kinda cool.

that's funny, i always put nurses with the hospitals (both now gone), never connected either to pyramid head. huh.

Well, I wasn't directly connecting the two, but from the interviews, it seems like Vatra gets the psycological connection between the protagonist and the denizens inhabiting the town. Compounded with their ditching of many of the troupes of the series, I'm inferring/hoping we won't see pyramid head.

Correct, PH was the product of Sunderlands subconcious. It wasn't until the movie that Konami ret-conned PH and made him a more permanent addition to SH lore. Now he's able to "represent different things for different people" which I feel destroys his original purpose but I guess what the fans want the fans want. I mean Pinhead was NEVER intended to be the "star" of Hellraiser. Doug Bradley just did such a bang up job with him.

But i'm completely off topic here. Yes, C_U, they do seem to have the old-school mentality of the city bends with the person inhabiting it and I appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

90 seconds of Licht's actual work on the game

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

yeah, i think they're going for the HUD-less look that Dead Space did, and honestly, if they manage it, ill be much happier to see no life bars/etc cluttering up the environment, for me. i like what im reading here, let's hope they can resist the urge to put in Pyramid Heads...they were at least somewhat tasteful in Homecoming, but really, they only belong in

James' head

But wasn't what was happening in James' head connected with whatever freaky shit took over Silent Hill? I always hear this sentiment but I got the impression that whatever evil took over the town was influening James as well.

hey man i liked homecoming, at least up till the final act

yes and no as i recall - james saw something pyramid-head like in the civil war museum paintings, but when you consider the endings & the fact the whole thing mightve only gone down in james head, its hard to say that character should be showing up elsewhere. again, im not entirely against it if its thought-out...to homecoming's credit, they were treated as boogeymen, you couldnt interact with them if you wanted to.

Correct, PH was the product of Sunderlands subconcious. It wasn't until the movie that Konami ret-conned PH and made him a more permanent addition to SH lore. Now he's able to "represent different things for different people" which I feel destroys his original purpose but I guess what the fans want the fans want. I mean Pinhead was NEVER intended to be the "star" of Hellraiser. Doug Bradley just did such a bang up job with him.

But i'm completely off topic here. Yes, C_U, they do seem to have the old-school mentality of the city bends with the person inhabiting it and I appreciate it.

L2Read Noobs.

Archived