Driving back to her apartment

For the moment we're alone

Yeah she's alone

I'm alone

Now I know it

She's a brick and I'm drowning slowly

Off the coast and I'm headed nowhere

She's a brick and I'm drowning slowly

Could anyone explain what's he mean by lying and drowning and heading nowhere, etc?

It's about a guy taking his girlfriend to get an abortion.

Yep. That's what the song is about.

As for "what's he mean by lying and drowning and heading nowhere, etc? " You could take it to mean the unborn baby, the girlfriend, or (as I see it) the situation itself is the titular "brick" drowning the narrator in sadness/regret/emptiness. I think most people would likely view the narrator as being someone feeling weighed down by this responsibility--a young man with an unwanted pregnancy, pining for his lost youth and having his whole life now mapped out as a father with limited opportunities. Thus making it a rather selfish lament or justification for the abortion.

However, I take it that it is not the responsibility that's weighing him down, but rather his inability to handle said responsibility as the abortion is the ultimate decision reached by the young couple. . .

Sorry, I'm a Ben Fold's fan and have thought about this song more than some here. ^_^

Probably one of my favorite Ben Fold's songs.

I read an interview where he said it was a mutual decision between him and his girlfriend, but that her parent's did not agree (or did not know? i'm not sure and i can't find the interview now) but that his girlfriend at the time had a really hard time dealing with the whole situation between herself and her parents.

the whole "heading nowhere" is the loss of youth, and future, and the fact that despite the fact they care very much for each other, the choice they made is going to tear them apart.

it is quite sad.

i read that he wanted to keep the child but his girlfriend didn't and that they both sold their christmas gifts to pay for the abortion. how is it that their relationship could fall apart if they both agreed on the decision... unless her parents forced her to not see him anymore because of the abortion he and she mutually decided to do? but the song seems to hint that her parents didn't know.

oh wait, i get it. the parents found out later...

so they broke up because of the parents or because he regret his decision? im thinking he broke down both to admit the truth and regretting his decision and couldn't stay with her because everything that happened reminds him and guilts him.

thanks guys... that definately has a given me a different perspective-

Weird Al directed that video, and in return, Ben Folds played piano on Weird Al's Why Does This Always Happen To Me? I didn't know it was Ben Folds before the first time I heard the song, but the moment I heard it I immediately thought "that has to be Ben Folds on piano.

Anyway, more of my favorites, from BFF's first album, Julianne. I love the smashing noises that accompany every drum fill.

...and One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces

• 6 months later...

Archived