Hondo's Bar

Monster Hunter Tri

Panch

monster-hunter-3.png

So being a fan of the PS2 and PSP versions, it was natural I'd get into this one. I just didn't know how the Wii motion controls would work. I mean, in theory it sounds awesome. You swing a giant Cloud type sword around killing dinosaur/dragon type hybrids (lot's of awesome new monsters). Well, I'm loving the game so far! I love the new swimming/fighting under water mechanic! Obviously the gatherer, forger elements are still there, too. Basically, cool in a box. Whatever, I like this kinda stuff. There's a multiplayer so if anyone wants to get on and hunt some monsters with me...

I ain't holdin' my breath, though.

If this doesn't get ya, nothing will.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been holding off on Tri because of the inevitable Portable 3rd, and I really don't want to buy a Classic Controller in addition to the game proper. Plus I'd have to hack my Wii more....

Still. I keep considering it. Oh, to have a heavy bowgun again....

Here's my history of Monster Hunter. I picked up the first one way back in the day for the PS2 (?) and played it for a few hours, determined the controls were clunky, and they game as a whole blew. Recently my co-worker came to work with two copies of MH Freedom 2 for the PSP because he wanted something we could play on our lunchbreaks. Reluctantly I said yes and now about 40 hours into the game I am loving it.

I'm not sure what it is about the game that caught me the second time around but I will say that TRI looks pretty fun and i'd like to give it a shot.

Edited by Bindusara

I've been holding off on Tri because of the inevitable Portable 3rd, and I really don't want to buy a Classic Controller in addition to the game proper. Plus I'd have to hack my Wii more.... Still. I keep considering it. Oh, to have a heavy bowgun again....

Dude, you don't even need the Classic! I thought so, too, but the Wiimote/nunchuck combo works great! I've really taken to it quick. It actually feels better! Get it! Let's team-up!

Here's my history of Monster Hunter. I picked up the first one way back in the day for the PS2 (?) and played it for a few hours, determined the controls were clunky, and they game as a whole blew. Recently my co-worker came to work with two copies of MH Freedom 2 for the PSP because he wanted something we could play on our lunchbreaks. Reluctantly I said yes and now about 40 hours into the game I am loving it. I'm not sure what it is about the game that caught me the second time around but I will say that TRI looks pretty fun and i'd like to give it a shot.

This game is SO addicting! I thought the same way with the first one, but I stuck with it and look at me now! Tri is the best of the bunch... trust me!

Edited by Panch

Bah! I like the new controls! 15 minutes and I was back in the saddle again. Trust me... the only reason I waited this long to play it was cause I wanted to get the Classic Control first. Finally, I was like whatever I'll get it and fuck around til next paycheck or something and now I' thinkin' I don't even NEED it! Go ahead, give it a 'tri'... you know you wanna.

Start from scratch like me! I had some crazy insect armor in the first one (that I can't remember right now) that I loved (wouldn't even upgrade cause it looked so cool). It's been years since I've played and I'm treating this one like new. Love my Great Swords!

Start from scratch like me! I had some crazy insect armor in the first one (that I can't remember right now) that I loved (wouldn't even upgrade cause it looked so cool). It's been years since I've played and I'm treating this one like new. Love my Great Swords!

oh bugger me he never progressed beyond the Obituary set.

I stuck with the sword and shield for the guild resource missions because I had no money, but I found that my accuracy with the weapon was atrocious, and I accidentally would tilt the wiimote one way or another or accidentally do a swing attack when I didn't mean to. I bought a medium bowgun when I could, which mostly moved like a heavy bowgun, and those controls have been better, but it's still so different from the PSP (not to mention it's been a while) so even if I didn't die armorless against the Jaggi I at least went through the full compliment of first aid meds.

I bought the full leather armor set and just upgraded it a bit. As for the weapon I went with the Great Bone Blade and upgraded that as far as I could. It looks pretty awesome now, but I'm looking to upgrade an Iron Sword. I've been without the game for a week now cause the dog ate the nunchuck. Now that I know that you've got it I'm getting a new one.