Hondo's Bar

Inception

What irked me was the fact that Ellen Paige's character essentially spelled out what was going on, for me anyway.

It was a good concept, it was just a little dumbed down for my liking. I'd have liked to have walked out and thought "what the fuck..." like I did with Memento.

Admittedly though yes I did find that sort of annoying. It was one of maybe three things I didn't like about it though. The main reason I liked Inception so much was not due to it's strengths but its lack of weaknesses. Try as I might I couldn't find much wrong with the movie.

• 2 years later...

I almost posted this in the Cracked thread, but almost all of the theories in the list have been discussed prior, except for the one about Inception. At least I can't remember ever hearing it. And I am too lazy to check back through this thread to see if it was mentioned earlier.

And it's a quite awesome theory. Obvious spoilers for those of you who listened to JZA and DoJ and haven't bothered to see this film in the last 3 years.

Cobb's totem was a spinning top: If it kept spinning forever it meant he was dreaming, and if it fell down he was not. In the last scene, Cobb makes the top spin on a table ... and then the movie cuts to black. So did it keep spinning or not? The Internet has been furiously debating this for years and we are no closer to an answer.

174575.jpg?v=1

For our money, Cobb was definitely a replicant.

The Theory:

... and that's because we've been looking in the wrong direction. The top was never Cobb's totem -- it was his wedding ring all along. This is based on the fact that, every time we see Cobb's hand in the dream world, he happens to have the ring on it; you can see it in the opening scene, and again in that

174569.jpg?v=1

In fact he keeps flashing it to the chick from Juno, because he knows she's into married dudes.

Meanwhile, every time we see Cobb's hand in the real world, he doesn't have it. It's not there on any of the present-day, non-dream scenes at the beginning, and it's not there in the last few scenes ... meaning that the ending wasn't a dream. Check it out, this is right before he makes the top spin and the director pulls a The Sopranos on us:

174571_v1.jpg

Close the Internet, we're done.

Keep in mind, Cobb never said the top was his totem. Seriously, go back and rewatch the movie: He doesn't. We see him clutching the top in his hand when Juno asks about totems, but there's a good reason for him to do that: The top belonged to his dead wife, and, as the movie doesn't hesitate to show us, Cobb is still slightly hung up on her.

• 5 years later...

Michael Caine confirms the meaning behind ending of Inception