Hondo's Bar

Reverend Jax

So this season, from the first two episodes, appears to be even less episodic than the first season, which was far less episodic than the first show. With the first show, almost every episode tied back into the story later own, with characters coming back and events have repercussions later on, but you could probably watch several episodes slightly out of order and it wouldn't be a big deal. With the first season of Korra, each episode set up the next one, so you did have to watch them in order, but each episode still felt like it was its own entity. They each had their own arch with a beginning, middle and end. These first two episodes didn't feel like they had their own beginning, middle and end. They just felt like chapters in a larger story. They both seem like they are building up for a pay-off down the road. That pay-off may be the next two episodes, because next we have a two-parter: Civil War Parts 1 and 2, which they teased with the final season in the second episode. Hopefully, when all four episodes are viewed, it will feel like a more complete story.

Edited by Reverend Jax
Forgot spoiler tags

Yup. Also, the animation wasn't as crisp as last season.

Yeah, for the first season, they used one animation house to animate everything, Studio Mir. For the second season, they used a second studio, Studio Pierrot, to divide up the work with Studio Mir. Speculation is that issues with the quality of the animation they got from Studio Pierrot lead to it taking they so long to get Book 2 out, and it is reported that they went back to using only Studio Mir for Books 3 and 4. But some of the animation looks really good in the trailer, so I'd say to expect some inconsistency in quality, with some really good looking episodes in the mix.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

So Book 4 is done, as is any Avatar stuff outside of the comics for a long while.

Personally, and it seems I am in the minority, I really ended up loving the hell out of LoK, warts and all. Yeah, the series wasn't perfect by any stretch, but I loved the characters, LOVED the animation, and am still pretty much amazed by the soundtrack. The series set out to do something different than Last Airbender, and it did. TLA was about the world, and the big overarching journey to beat Ozai. Korra though, was first and foremost about her, and her journey. Hell, in many was Book 3, and especially book 4 were epilogues to the BIG conflicts, and I am a sucker for that. I loved Korra as a character, (outside of about 5 or so episodes in book 2 when she was insufferable). Book 3 of Korra was just edged out by Book 2 of TLA as my favorite season of either show. Just a shame that no villain in Korra came close to the awesome that was Azula.

Loved the finale. Could it have been better? Totally, but then again, I thought the finale of TLA could have been a bit better too. Still, the giant mech worked better than I thought it would, the animation was impressive as hell, and the Korra/Asami hookup was awesome, especially for a kids show. Would have liked some more Bolin in the finale, and more Asami overall (and Wu was useless, though I understand why he was needed, kinda) but still, well made stuff.

So Book 4 is done, as is any Avatar stuff outside of the comics for a long while.

I wonder if this was a creator decision or Nickelodeon's fuckup? There are too few episodes of LOK out there in the world. :/

Personally, and it seems I am in the minority, I really ended up loving the hell out of LoK, warts and all. Yeah, the series wasn't perfect by any stretch, but I loved the characters, LOVED the animation, and am still pretty much amazed by the soundtrack.

I am very much in agreement with you, especially with the animation and soundtrack.

The series set out to do something different than Last Airbender, and it did. TLA was about the world, and the big overarching journey to beat Ozai. Korra though, was first and foremost about her, and her journey. Hell, in many was Book 3, and especially book 4 were epilogues to the BIG conflicts, and I am a sucker for that. I loved Korra as a character, (outside of about 5 or so episodes in book 2 when she was insufferable). Book 3 of Korra was just edged out by Book 2 of TLA as my favorite season of either show.

Again, I agree. Mostly. I was surprised and a little bored quite honestly, with the decision to jump ahead three years and still have Korra so weak and lost in Book 4. However, those earlier episodes did pay off once Kuvira's threat became real. This season played the long game with Korra's character development and it paid off.

Just a shame that no villain in Korra came close to the awesome that was Azula.

Loved the finale. Could it have been better? Totally, but then again, I thought the finale of TLA could have been a bit better too. Still, the giant mech worked better than I thought it would, the animation was impressive as hell, and the Korra/Asami hookup was awesome, especially for a kids show. Would have liked some more Bolin in the finale, and more Asami overall (and Wu was useless, though I understand why he was needed, kinda) but still, well made stuff.

You're gonna have to refresh my memory on Azula. Was that the evil spirit Korra's uncle unleashed in Book2? I thought Zahir Rollins and his gang were pretty damn good, but Aman was the best adversary in LOK. I also think Book1 is still the strongest of the series.

As for the finale and that last scene...

I wrote on Jax's fb page that my literal reaction went, "Wtf!?! That is so outta left field! It makes no sens---oh, wait a minute. Yeah. Ok. Yeah. I get it now." I can't think of an action series, let alone an animated series, that ended with such a subtle, bold, and telling final frame.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 3 years later...

Legend of Korra: Ruins of The Empire Comic Series Announced

The biggest recent news out of the Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra universe was the unexpected announcement that co-creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko are developing a live-action TV adaptation for Netflix. But while fans await further details on that project, they should take comfort in the knowledge that DiMartino and Koneitzko haven’t stopped telling new stories in their wonderful elemental universe. On top of the recently-announced line of original novels, EW can exclusively announce that next spring will see the launch of a new comic, The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire.

The Legend of Korra wrapped up its fourth and final season in 2014 with an epic finale that also romantically paired its two female leads, the brash Avatar Korra and the stylish inventor Asami Sato. Those threads were picked up three years later by DiMartino and artist Irene Koh in The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, which saw Korra and Asami (“Korrasami” if you want to get cute) exploring their new relationship while also fighting off a new threat to the humans and spirits of Republic City. Now, Ruins of the Empire will continue to explore unresolved plot threads from the TV series — namely the fate of Kuvira, would-be dictator of the Earth Kingdom.

The new comic, written by DiMartino and illustrated by Michelle Wong, will feature Kuvira put on trial for her crimes. But just because the militant metalbender has been defeated, doesn’t mean her imperial dreams have died with her. The Earth Kingdom’s transition to democracy will be rockier than expected, and when Korra, Asami, Mako, and Bolin disagree on the right solution to rising tensions, drastic measures might be required to prevent another war.

• Wow! 1

A live action Korra series by the series  creators...that doesn't involve M.Night? 

Shh. If you listen very closely, you can here @Reverend Jax climaxing in some dark, distant corner of Hondo's.

Also, I'm sporting a titanium rod for a live action Avatar (Not Cameron) series. I mean, I'd prefer a series about the  missing adult Ang years, but Korra post S4 be cool too.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 4 years later...