Hondo's Bar

Reverend Jax

Online, the first episode will be officially released on March 24th, if Korra Nation gets 100,000 new Facebook likes since a few days ago, and they are about three quarters of the way there.

The guy who uploaded the leaked episode uploaded a 480p version, although the show should be made for full HD broadcast, so if you want to holdout for the best possible version that is yet to come.

So, yeah, the episode bodes well for the rest of the show. It does seem to same balance of elements (heh) that made the original series as endearing as it is. The characters that have been introduced so far are all charming and feel real, the humor and awe and sense of myth is all preserved. The show does seem, as the creators said it would be, more mature and sophisticated, but still connected to the feel of the original show. The show seems to move a little faster than the first one did, trying to tell much more story in one episode, but it doesn't feel rushed like I was afraid it would. The creators said this show would be more tight with little "filler." it hit the ground running assuming you were familiar with the world. The old show was able to use its slower story parts very effectively to build character moments, and I hope that will not be lost as this series continues. I miss the spirit of Sokka, but I seems that spirit will be delivered in a character named Bolin that has not yet been introduced. We will see if he can live up to the mighty Sokka.

Also, the show creators are fucking taunting fans with a reference to

Zuko's mom

that deliberately answered nothing. They are fucking teases.

Edited by Reverend Jax

downloaded episode one and it was excellent. ang's grandkids are great, and keep his spirit alive in the show. i like how there were all these little references to the old series throughout the episode. i hope they keep it up and we find out the fate of Ang, Zuko, etc. thoughout the new series.

downloaded episode one and it was excellent. ang's grandkids are great, and keep his spirit alive in the show. i like how there were all these little references to the old series throughout the episode. i hope they keep it up and we find out the fate of Ang, Zuko, etc. thoughout the new series.

Did you just get episode 1, or the two-part episode 1 and 2 together? The 46 minute premiere was on the KorraNation.com website over the weekend, but they took it down, but it's still torrentable.

I liked the second episode very much. One of the biggest problems with the first episode was the pacing left little room to appreciate little character moments, but this one didn't suffer from that at all. Bolin was great, Mako was great, an they were great together. I like

Jinora's response to Tenzin about her and Ikki not acting like Korra when they become teenagers, I loved Tenzin getting excited when Korra won the Pro-Bending match, I loved the moment when Korra corrected Bolin's implication that they were "together," I like Korra not being able to go through the Airbending training apparatus.

One character I have not taken any kind of liking to is Meelo.

I'm super curious about

the other people that were eating on Air Temple Island, dressed like Air Nomads. Were there other Airbenders Tenzin was training, or is Air Temple Island open to people who want to live as non-bending Air Nomads?

Edited by Reverend Jax

Shit, Jax. You are rampant w/ spoilers, son. I saw the 23 minute premiere episode, "Welcome to Republic City." I just finished episode two, "A Leaf In the Wind." was there another 20 minutes to "Welcome to Republic City," or is the 46 minute premiere you speak of simply episodes one and two combined?

Anyway, episode two was definitely fantastic...

...and I'm eager to see how this pro-bending turns out. I also smell a possible love triangle brewing on the Fire Ferrets. Mako's bro is the new Saaka apparently; it'll be interesting to see if they go in the more "adult," i.e. complicated, route w/ a love triangle or simply keep it a Mako/Korra romance.

And kudos to the creative team for paying homage to acting legend Mako (and voice of the original Iiro) by naming a major character after him.

Shit, Jax. You are rampant w/ spoilers, son. I saw the 23 minute premiere episode, "Welcome to Republic City." I just finished episode two, "A Leaf In the Wind." was there another 20 minutes to "Welcome to Republic City," or is the 46 minute premiere you speak of simply episodes one and two combined?

Yeah, first two episodes combined into one premiere, with the closing credits to chapter 1 and the opening sequence to chapter 2 cut out (that's how they'll air on Nick, good way to get more ad time into your hour of programming). I'll edit my posts to include spoilers. Didn't think anything was too spoiler-ish....

Anyway, episode two was definitely fantastic...

...and I'm eager to see how this pro-bending turns out. I also smell a possible love triangle brewing on the Fire Ferrets. Mako's bro is the new Saaka apparently; it'll be interesting to see if they go in the more "adult," i.e. complicated, route w/ a love triangle or simply keep it a Mako/Korra romance.

And kudos to the creative team for paying homage to acting legend Mako (and voice of the original Iiro) by naming a major character after him.

Yeah, I see that happening there too, but I'm more excited about the show being more mature in the political and social angle with various dynamics of Republic City. Homelessness, social unrest, organized crime, (possibly) fascist police, issues or modernity vs traditional values, etc. There's going to be a character in future episodes played by Lost's Daniel Dae Kim (who did the voice of General Fong in the first series' season 2 premiere) who is a

wealthy industrialist, and evidently the inventor of the cars we've see all over Republic City.

A couple of articles have cropped up discussing how the political/social angles in the premiere episode and how it bodes for the rest of the series.

Think Progress article

io9 article

Nick's site was only streaming them for one weekend. I recommend torrenting it. The animation is too nice to be fucked up by a lousy stream.

Evidently I was wrong. I just went to Nick's site and the episodes were there, and they worked for me. Anyway, nick.com just released this interactive feature to show the places and people and things in the show called Explore Republic City. Pretty niffy and in beautiful HD when in Full Screen mode.

So the Nielsen numbers came out for Korra yesterday. The series premiered to 4.548 million viewers, including 1.01 million adults 18-49, making it the #4 rated show in all of Cable that week, and outperforming every episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender with the exception of the 4-part finale, which got 5.6 million viewers. This season is 12 episodes and they are already in production of a 14 episodes 2nd season, but these numbers will hopefully encourage Nickelodeon to renew it for a 3rd season. Also, the numbers were this high DESPITE the premiere being available legally and commercial free, two weeks prior to air, on nick.com, iTunes, Amazon Instant Video, X-Box Live, etc.

Also, here's the episode title and description for Episode 4

Season 1, Episode 4

Title: “The Voice in the Night”

Air Date: April 28, 2012 at 11 AM

Description: “Korra is recruited to join Councilman Tarrlok’s task force which tries to rid the city of Equalists.”

Edited by Reverend Jax

No, they were 20, 20, and 21 episodes each. It was originally going to be a 12 episode miniseries, but later the added 14 episodes, which we only recently learned would be a separate season (Book 2). The creators said that with 12 episodes, they intended to tend a very tight, no-filler story with no sidetracking. They said they like filler, but that's not what they had in mind of this series. But they said that before the 14 episodes were added, so I don't know if they plan on having no filler for that too. They did say the second book would have a different arc and a different villain as Book 1 would have it's own resolution. It certainly looks like they decided they wanted to step up their game animation quality-wise, so they might have said to Nickelodeon we want a budget of 'x' per episode, so they said 'OK then, at that price, we'll take 12 episodes', or maybe the creators only wanted to do 12...who knows.

Okay, so this series wasn't set up to have a deifnite 3 season arc like Airbender was. I thought the creators would follow that same three series pattern w/ this series since they used the "book/chapter" set-up for the episodes. Hopefully the ratings (and the quality) of the show will remain high and we can get some great stories out of this series.

Also, by avoiding "filler" episodes I hope they don't mean avoiding "filling" viewers in on what's happened to all the characters we loved from Airbender. I loved those mentions the characters got in S1E1-2. It's safe to predict there won't be any flashback episodes w/ adult Ang, Sakka, etc. in season 1/book 1. However, that would be a great idea for season 2 (or 3 if they make it that far).