Hondo's Bar

Reverend Jax

You know... these spinoffs/series sequels are usually atrotious... (did I spell that right?)

But this thing is way better than the original in my opinion.

Wait am I preaching to the quior?

I did however missed that whole episode where the original earth bender (or her decendant) made an appearance and right before they got into the tournament...

I DVR'ed a rerun... is the season over already???

Yeah, there's 5 more episodes in the series. A new episode didn't air last week because of Memorial Day. The production value on these episodes is clearly better than the old series, but I'm still not sure if it's better than the old series. I think I want to wait until the end of the first season before I come down one way or another on that debate.

I'm not getting the cabbage callback. Obviously something from the first series I'm not recalling...

/googles

Ah. I forgot he was a recurring bit in the first series.

/youtubes

Heh. Okay, now I'm more inclined to agree w/ Jax's claims of best callback. Glad things finally worked out for that guy's family. Mostly.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Episode 8 (When Extremes Meet) was the best episode so far! This episode hit on all cylinders for me. First act, second act, third act, all excellent, each better than the last. The action, the politics, the humor, the characterization, the plot, the themes, everything worked and it was incredible. This is my first 10/10 for a Korra episode, this episode is as good as ATLA episodes like City of Walls and Secrets and Lake Laogai in my book.

There was been lots of speculation on a Yakone/Amon connection, but no one was even talking about a Yakone/Tarrlok connection.

Episode 9

Not as good as the last episode, but we finally got the pay off of seeing the complete flashback along with hearing adult Aang, Toph and Sokka's voices. It's a joy to see Toph didn't change once she got to middle age. A few reveals in the third act, like how Amon can resist bloodbending, which makes him all the more mysterious. Good stuff.

The finale can't come soon enough.

Edited by Reverend Jax

Episode nine was fantastic! I'm finally on-board this whole love triangle (quadrangle?) thing. The writers are following through w/ the complicated emotions of all involved. Granted, they are watering down the emotionality a bit for the younger TV audience, but not by much. Really well done. And ditto w/ Jax's sentiment about seeing Saaka, Toph, and Ang all together as adults in the flashback. Missed not seeing the old kite-staff though.

And as for Amon, he's turning out to be a much more interesting villain. He obviously has a plan (that season finale trailer spoiled a bit of it) for Korra and the city. Do you think we'll find out the story of the man behind the mask this season?

Amon.%28Avatar%3A.The.Legend.Of.Korra%29.600.1116597.jpg

I have a few theories:

1. It's some ex-Fire Nation person, one of Lord Ozai's grandkids. The Korra website says that Zuko and Ang came to some differences when Ang tried to make some Fire Nation settlers leave their Earth Nation colonies. Could be a non-bending descendent of the former Firelord out to claim his "birthright."

2. He's one of Ang's other kids. Ang was (apparently) the only one who knew how to take away bending powers. Maybe Amon somehow learned this technique and is now trying to rule the city. It would explain his hesitation to harm Korra and Tenzin.

3. It's most likely

iman_00.jpg

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

And as for Amon, he's turning out to be a much more interesting villain. He obviously has a plan (that season finale trailer spoiled a bit of it) for Korra and the city. Do you think we'll find out the story of the man behind the mask this season?

I have a few theories:

1. It's some ex-Fire Nation person, one of Lord Ozai's grandkids. The Korra website says that Zuko and Ang came to some differences when Ang tried to make some Fire Nation settlers leave their Earth Nation colonies. Could be a non-bending descendent of the former Firelord out to claim his "birthright."

2. He's one of Ang's other kids. Ang was (apparently) the only one who knew how to take away bending powers. Maybe Amon somehow learned this technique and is now trying to rule the city. It would explain his hesitation to harm Korra and Tenzin.

3. It's most likely

iman_00.jpg

1. Yeah, the events with the aftermath of the war in the Fire Nation colonies in the Earth Kingdom are being told in a trade-back comic right now called The Promise (3 book each about 75 pages, 2nd one just came out last week, last one comes out in September). The resolution of the conflict will lead to the founding of the United Republic of Nations (of which Republic City is the capital), bridging the gap between ATLA and Korra (most of it takes place about a year after the end of the Hundred Year War). It's all canon (all but two Avatar comic ever published are considered canon).

The Korra website also says that Zuko is still alive, but he retired from being Firelord three years prior to the event in Korra, his daughter is the new Firelord, and he travels the world as a good will ambassador. Dante Basco, Zuko's voice actor, revealed a while ago on his twitter that he would be in episode 11 of Korra (actually, said it would be called Skeletons in the Closet, and that was revealed to be the title of Episode 11 about a week ago). He said he was voicing a character "related to Zuko in someway." That could mean 86-year old Zuko, Zuko in a flashback, or some other character. Being one of Zuko's children seems unlikely, and Azula was supposed committed to an asylum on an island after the war. Could she have had kids? Well, Tarrlok is Yakone's son, and he is 37, and Yakone was arrested and had his energy bending taken away 42 years before the events in Korra, so unless his sentence was 4-5 years or less, conjugal visits may be a right extended even to the more serious criminals. And it is unclear if Azula ever escaped or was released from the asylum, and/or if Aang ever took away her bending.

2. Aang had 3 kids. The oldest was Kya, named after Katara's mom, and she is a waterbender. The middle child is Bumi, named after the crazy earthbending king of Omashu, and he is a non-bender, and the youngest is Tenzin. People have been speculating that Bumi is Amon since before the series premiered (once it was revealed at a ComicCon panel that Aang had a non-bender son and that the main protagonist would be behind a mask, I think that theory appeared on the internet approximately 7 second later). It was a solid theory before, but as each episode airs and we've only gotten a single passing reference to Bumi in the first episode (old Katara said Kya and Bumi were as crazy as Tenzin's children when they were kids), it would be odd to do that. Not impossible, just odd.

3. I think you're right.

At this point, I'm not sure if there will be a big reveal as to who Amon really is. Whether he is an already established character, or related to one, that question is actually less interesting to me that what is plan is and what he is capable of. The convention in story telling is that if a character wears a mask, their identity is a known to the audience, but that just might not be the case.

I DL'd the first two issues of The Promise. Are those the only Airbender comics out? I thought there were some that came out a year or two ago, but couldn't find any online.

As for Amon, I'm guessing there will be a big battle and reveal for him in the season finale. Didn't the creators write this season as a stand alone season at first? in other words there wasn't a guaranteed 2nd season when animation begun on S1, right? I'm not too keen on speculating too much more about Amon as I'm enjoying the surprises the show is throwing out.

Korra was originally written as a stand-alone 12-episode miniseries, but at some point Nickelodeon ordered a 14-episode second season. It is not clear whether anything was changed about the ending of this season to accommodate the addition of a second season, or if that was even a feasible option at that stage in production. That said, it seems very likely this story arc will be resolving itself this season.

As for the comics, there were a bunch of mini comics published during the run of the show, some in Nick magazine, some at Nick.com, some on Free Comic Book Day, some as booklet inserts to the single disc DVDs (the ones that would have 4 or 5 episodes on them, not the complete season box sets). Last year, Dark Horse compiled them all (plus 70 pages of new comics) into 240 page collection, ordered them in chronological order (chronological within the series timeline, not publication) and called it The Lost Adventures. There a lot of little silly stories, but also some stories that were pretty good and even address some questions that fans might have (like 'after the initial attack on the Air Temples, how did the Fire Nation hunt down the lingering Air Nomads that went into hiding?' and 'What happened to the Gaang while Aang was passed out between seasons 2 and 3?'). Here's a torrent for it.

holy shit, today's episode was the best one yet, and the last few have been amazing as well.

Tensen and Lin are such badassess...god i hope they can reverse things for the latter.

also, "TASTE MY BERRIES" (sp?) was a mild highlight as well

seriously can't wait for the next episode, i wasnt expecting it to get this good this fast.

Tensen and Lin are such badassess...god i hope they can reverse things for the latter.

also, "TASTE MY BERRIES" (sp?) was a mild highlight as well

I think the word was "fury," not "berries."

And Lycaon, it was Dante Basco, the same actor that did Zuko's voice. Dev Patel was the actor who played Zuko in the Shyamalan movie.