Hondo's Bar

Reverend Jax

Even though I love this series and its predecessor so damned much, I was still surprised to see how highly ranked both are on IMDb's List of Highest Rated TV Series with at least 5,000 Votes. The Legend of Korra is ranked the 6th greatest television show from any country of all time, beat out only by BCC's Planet Earth, The Wire, Game of Thrones, Arrested Development and Breaking Bad, and it hasn't even finished it's first season. Avatar: The Last Airbender is #18, making them the top ranked and third ranked animated shows (Cowboy Bebop is #13, South Park is #26, Batman TAS is #26, Futurama is #44, Full Metal Alchemist is #46). If you compared the TV list to the movie list, The Legend of Korra would be like the 12 Angry Men of TV, while Avatar: The Last Airbender would be the City of God of TV.

Yeah, but just like most kung-fu legends, the show was filled with some badass old people. Pakku kicked ass in his 80's, Sozin lived to be 102, Bumi was probably the greatest Earthbender besides Toph at age 112, the Guru was 150 and still had muscular definition, and Avatar Kyoshi lived to be 230. Being old alone is not a disqualifier. The fan community is blowing up with the most ridiculous theories now. A popular one know is that Amon is Aang's corpse, possessed by a spirit. Another is that he is a cyborg (which considering that the last series had Combustion Man, who had a metal arm and metal leg, it not that crazy), but that only really explains how he resisted the bloodbending. My favorite theory is that Amon is M Night Shyamalan. If this were true, it would probably be the greatest thing ever to happen, ever.

Finally saw episode 10. The airbender clan in action was epic. Huzzah for the return of the staff glider! It's also awesome that Sally from Mad Men voices Tenzin's oldest daughter. I wonder why they picked the name Rohan for the new baby. They hung on it like it was supposed to have some significance. Jax, anything on that?

It didn't make sense to me why they wouldn't electrify the grappling cables from the airships or the airships themselves while on the island. And Mako can firebend electricity, right? I don't think we've seen Korra do it though.

I think the word was "fury," not "berries."

"Taste my berries"? :LOL: So, Nick, you thought the kid was teabaggin' him? What did they do to you in Croatia, man?

A popular one know is that Amon is Aang's corpse, possessed by a spirit. Another is that he is a cyborg (which considering that the last series had Combustion Man, who had a metal arm and metal leg, it not that crazy), but that only really explains how he resisted the bloodbending. My favorite theory is that Amon is M Night Shyamalan. If this were true, it would probably be the greatest thing ever to happen, ever.

Zombie Ang? No, thank you. Amon does sound similar to Shymalan now that I think about it. Heh. It would be awesome if they put a dig like that in there, but I don't think they would. The creators were all over M. Night like a zombie on bath salts when he was attached to the film.

Finally saw episode 10. The airbender clan in action was epic. Huzzah for the return of the staff glider! It's also awesome that Sally from Mad Men voices Tenzin's oldest daughter. I wonder why they picked the name Rohan for the new baby. They hung on it like it was supposed to have some significance. Jax, anything on that?

Well, I think the main reason they depicted that scene like that is because that's how it generally happens in real life when parents tell the people close to them what they've named their child. But Rohan is not the name of a previously established character. Aang's first to children were named after previously established characters (Kya, Katara's and Sokka's mother, and Bumi, the King of Omashu and Aang's childhood friend from before he was frozen for 100 years), and the United Forces general introduced at the end of Episode 10 was named Iroh after Zuko's uncle (he has been confirmed to be Zuko's grandson). Those are the only recycled names so far.

Most of the names in ATLA and Korra have meanings in other (mostly Eastern) languages. Sometimes it seems obvious that the name was intentionally chosen because of the meaning. Aang means "peacefully soaring" or "wind" depending on the language. In Arabic, Katara means water droplet. But sometimes I think that if you look into enough languages for these character, one language is bound to reveal some meaning. Anyway, here's some meaning on Rohan:

• Rohan (रोहन) is an Indian name meaning "to ascend; to rise, to attain great heights" in Hindi/Sanskrit.
  • Rohan (روحن) in Arabic means "spiritualize" as derived from the root word روح meaning "spirit" and may be used as a name. Another variation of the word is Rohani (روحاني) meaning "spiritual", which is adopted in Urdu and Indonesia/Malay language and also used as a name.

A martial arts coordinator/videographer for the show who is prolific on Tumblr (because he answers a lot of questions people ask him) says the name has a personal meaning to the two show creators (Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino) that is not public knowledge.

It didn't make sense to me why they wouldn't electrify the grappling cables from the airships or the airships themselves while on the island. And Mako can firebend electricity, right? I don't think we've seen Korra do it though.

You mean the one Lin used to swing over to the airships from the Sky Bison? That was a rope with a net on the end, and she slashed the net with her cable, then wrapped her cable around the rope. I don't understand the rest of your question. Yes, Mako can firebend lightning. It is an advance firebending technique and Korra has not been shown to have mastered it. Metalbending and bloodbending and the advanced earthbending and waterbending techniques, and Korra has not been shown to have mastered those either. Aang hadn't been shown to have mastered those advanced techniques either.

• Upvote 1

Well done on the name research, sir!

You mean the one Lin used to swing over to the airships from the Sky Bison? That was a rope with a net on the end, and she slashed the net with her cable, then wrapped her cable around the rope. I don't understand the rest of your question. Yes, Mako can firebend lightning. It is an advance firebending technique and Korra has not been shown to have mastered it. Metalbending and bloodbending and the advanced earthbending and waterbending techniques, and Korra has not been shown to have mastered those either. Aang hadn't been shown to have mastered those advanced techniques either.

Nah, that's not what I was referring to. I was talking about the fact the technology in this universe apparently hasn't progressed to parachutes yet, so Equalist troops descend from the airships to the ground via a cable that is shot from the ship into the ground. Before Tenzin & co. yip-yip away and Korra & co. get on their polarbear dog sub, they all just sort of stand around the cable breathing out their mouths. If the cable is some sort of metal alloy, why not shoot some electric bolts up it? Or if it's rope, just burn it. Instead they all just kinda stand around the cable waiting for chi-blockers to rain down on them. It just seemed like an obvious tactic and it irked me they didn't at least address it.

Yeah, I hadn't thought of that. We've never seen parachutes in the show (though we might in the finale, the promos show an air battle with not just airships, but planes), but maybe parachutes aren't a smart idea when descending onto an island with benders. If a bender projects fire, or earth, or water at you and rips your parachute, than wouldn't end well, but that doesn't mean the couldn't do something about that cable either.

A new interview revealed today that Rohan was named after co-creator Bryan Konietzko's nephew. The nephew's father is Indian, and he says his other nephew also has a really cool name he wants to incorporate into the show somehow.

Also, the interviewer saw the finale, and he is saying it delivers.

I envy everyone reading this story because you have yet to see what I just saw–the two-part season finale of “The Legend of Korra.” You’re in for a very good weekend.

Fans of pop culture know that most franchises, series, and movies end not with a bang, not with a whimper, but with a groan–from suffering fans who get to the finish only to find it profoundly and cruelly unsatisfying. Hollywood’s dreammakers tease us, they tempt us, they promise revelatory conclusions, and then they go out like “The Matrix Revolutions,” or “Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith,” or “Lost.” But still we press on, waiting for “The Dark Knight Rises,” or for George R.R. Martin to finish “A Song of Ice and Fire,” or for the great Hayao Miyazaki to complete another great film.

“The Legend of Korra” finale delivers. You’ll get no spoilers from me. Check back in with Speakeasy after the show on Saturday and we’ll talk.

Edited by Reverend Jax

The finale was pretty damn excellent on most every level. The one part where it felt like it really dropped the ball was with

the romantic kiss between Korra and Mako. It's hard to root for those two to get together.

Well, the finale answered the parachute question. I guess the Equalists were just using the mooring cable b/c it was a much quicker way of getting down. I agree it was pretty damn excellent. However, I disagree...

...w/ your assessment on the kiss. I was never a fan of the romance angle, but the last few episodes really won me over, and I was all "AWWW!" when Mako professed his love and they locked lips.

I do agree w/ Mal about the last few minutes.

I think they did rush the whole Korra going in to the Avatar state thing. I guess they wanted to wrap up the series in case they didn't get picked up for a second season. I would've liked to see an episode or two in season two where Korra learns how to regain her other bending powers and how to restore the other benders' powers. But it was just way forced the way Ang showed up and was all, "Hey, here's your bending back." THE END!

And how about Tarlok blowing up that boat?!? That I did not see coming. I thought the show (or Nickelodeon) had a strict no killing policy. That must've only been for the original series. It was a bold move, and a sign this new series is staying true to its tone of being for an older audience.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Penny Arcade is spot on. Mako's a real dumbie.

The old show did not have a no-killing policy. While it's not clear what Nickelodeon's policy is, somethings seem to be clear. No blood, no guns, and if children die, it has to be ambiguous (Jet died in the original show, and he was 16, but as Sokka said in The Ember Island Players "it was really unclear"). Regardless, that part in the Korra finale is probably the darkest either show has gotten, and it was done incredibly. It had weight, in was profound and sublime and unexpected (and not just because it was a Nickelodeon show, it could have been on AMC and I would not have expected it).

On reflection, the Amon's character was handled beautifully, and it wasn't spoon fed to us. Amon was a man warped and twisted by his father, and also by his hatred for his father. Like so many people in real life, he hated his father and wanted to be nothing like him, but his drive to be nothing like the father he hated actually perverted him into being just like him.

And the way Korra jumped into Mako's arm and kissed him was a really sweet scene, I just didn't like how those two particular character got to that point, mostly because of the way Mako handled his situation with Asami. He was a bit careless with her feelings, and he lost some sympathy with me.

Edited by Reverend Jax

I mean, I get it, you're with someone and your feelings change. You realize you have stronger feelings for someone else. It happens, and you can't help how you feel, but while we was figuring it out, it wasn't honest with Asami and was careless with her feelings.

On another note though, Asami didn't take it out on Korra, she addressed it with Mako, which is exactly the right thing to do. It's a testament to how the creators write strong female characters who don't misdirect their frustration.