Hondo's Bar

Reverend Jax

X-Men comparisons are the obvious ones. We discussed that in this thread I believe as well. How it's an interesting twist on the mutant/benders being in the position of power in the Avatarverse.

Also, I think if you've got to compare Korra w/ a comic bok superhero then Spidey is a good choice. The tone of the show (action, humor, romance) coupled w/ her great powers and responsibility and how she grows into the roll while making mistakes, and even becoming a perceived public enemy at one point all mirror the Spideyverse nicely.

X-Men comparisons are the obvious ones. We discussed that in this thread I believe as well. How it's an interesting twist on the mutant/benders being in the position of power in the Avatarverse.

Also, I think if you've got to compare Korra w/ a comic bok superhero then Spidey is a good choice. The tone of the show (action, humor, romance) coupled w/ her great powers and responsibility and how she grows into the roll while making mistakes, and even becoming a perceived public enemy at one point all mirror the Spideyverse nicely.

I agree, accept no one knows who spiderman is or where he lived, hence a different dynamic in story development.

I mean, they are talking about it as an animated feature, which is an obviously good first step. There would be no reason NOT to have the co-creators directly and heavily involved (they have said they always approached Avatar as a movie-scope project), and all the ill will from the 2010 movie would mean they would feel like they'd have to make an extra effort to win people back.

• 3 weeks later...

Man, I keep telling Jax that I wanna see a darker show where the showcase the dark bending. Metal, Lightning, Blood and...

DEATH BENDING!

ZOMBIES!!!

Tell me that final scene between Tarrlok and Noatak wasn't pretty dark.

Sorry Ly. There's no confirmation, but to be honest, I'm not expecting it for another 6 months.

• 6 months later...

Ah yes. So the Bluray has commentary tracks for all 12 episodes, the DVD has commentary for select episodes. The Bluray exclusively has a feature called "Series creators' Favorite Scenes: Eight Animatics." Both the Bluray and DVD will have "The Legend of Puppetbender Present 'The Making of a Legend: The Untold Story'." If you've never seen Puppetbender, it's a pretty amusing youtube series with Avatar characters using puppets, and now they've produced official content as a DVD extra. Here's one of their youtube videos.

So yeah, a bit sparse on the extra, unfortunately.

Edited by Reverend Jax

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a description of a Book 2: Spirits scene shown to IGN.

The sequence we saw found Korra battling one of these spirits, initially just seen as dark tentacles, surrounded by a purple energy, coming out of the ground on a hillside. Korra asks, “Spirit, why are you so angry? What have we done to offend you?”, only for the tentacles to violently knock her aside, as they do to anyone else who attempts to help her, including Tenzin and an adult, male Water Tribe member I didn't recognize at a glance.

Then, the full octopus-like creature rises out of the ground, and begins moving down the hill, utlimately crashing through a fence into a carnival being held, as Korra pursues it. On the offense, Korra shoots the creature with fireballs and begins to get the upper hand, but she is suddenly grabbed by one of its tentacles, and smashed down into the ground. And... we cut to black, for now.

• 1 month later...

First look at footage of Book 2

Looks really solid, I love the character designs of the spirits. Still no release date announced, we may have to wait until Comiccon for that announcement.

EDIT: Also, A soundtrack for Book 1 of Korra will be released. fans have been asking Nickelodeon for a soundtrack for Avatar The Last Airbender for years with no success, but for Korra, the Track Team invented a new genre of music (jazz if jazz had been invented in China), so a soundtrack seems like a no-brainier.

Edited by Reverend Jax

Definite Bleach vibe to the spirits. I'm interested to see where this story goes this season w/ the spirit realm. I hope they don't totally ignore everything in the "real world" this season though. And, of course, I'm hoping for more flashbacks and clues as to what happened in the time between Ang & Korra.