Hondo's Bar

Reverend Jax

Well, while more Aang stuff would obviously be welcome, it has been reported that this season will answer a lot of the open question about how the first Avatar came to be, and how the Avatar cycle began, and what the significance of the Spirit World is.

tumblr_ljgbunVBQ21qewk6no1_500.gif

Midichlorians? Let's hope not.

• 1 month later...

Well, with San Diego Comic Con next week, people are expecting a premiere date for Book 2 to be announced. Co-creator Bryan Konietzko has confirmed on his Tumblr that there will be a trailer. Here are a few other things that have been announced.

Aubrey Plaza, James Remar, Lisa Edelstein join cast for Book 2

Aubrey Plaza from Parks and Rec will be Eska, a cousin of Korra's and daughter to the chief of the Northern and Southern Water Tribes. Aaron Himelstein from Joan of Arcadia plays Desna, Eska's twin borther.

legend-of-korra-ew-1-610x378.jpg

Aaron_Himelstein.pngAubrey_Plaza.png

Adrian LaTourelle from Sons of Anarchy will play Unalaq, Korra’s uncle and Eska and Desna's father.

Adrian_LaTourelle.pngUnalaq.png

Richard Riehle will be Tenzin's brother Bumi. He was in Office Space.

Richard_Riehle.pngCommander_Bumi.png

James Remar from Dexter will assume the role of Tonraq, Korra's father. He had one line in the first episode of Book 1, but he will have a larger role in Book 2 and he has been recast.

James_Remar.pngTonraq_and_Senna.png

Lisa Edelstein (Cutty from House) will play Tenzin's sister Kya.

Lisa_Edelstein.pngKya_(waterbender).png

John Michael Higgins from many Christopher Guest mockumentaries as well as Arrested Development will play Varrick, an eccentric industrialist inspired by Howard Hughes.

John_Michael_Higgins.pngVarrick.png

Also, there is a soundtrack and art book being released for Book 1 of Korra.

tumblr_inline_mmk8ghv98h1qz4rgp.jpg

The_Legend_of_Korra_Original_Music_From_Book_One.png

Edited by Reverend Jax

Seconded, Ly. Especially psyched about Aubrey Plaza. Looks like an interesting cast, and a lot of water tribe types. So I guess Capital City will play a much less significant roll in the setting for bk2.

Also, the soundtrack finally comes out next week. I'm looking fwd to that one. Did anyone get bk1 on DVD or br?

Did anyone get bk1 on DVD or br?

I've ordered it on Amazon, but it hasn't shipped yet, despite having been out since Tuesday.

Seconded, Ly. Especially psyched about Aubrey Plaza. Looks like an interesting cast, and a lot of water tribe types. So I guess Capital City will play a much less significant roll in the setting for bk2.

Interestingly enough, a journalist for the Wall Street Journal was interviewing the co-creators last year right after the Book 1 finale, and before the interview he asked people to tweet him questions for him to ask of them. So I tweeted him like 4 questions and he picked one of them and it was on precisely this topic.

[Dr. Dardo] Will book 2 stay confined to Republic City the way book 1 did?

DiMartino: I would say it’s a mix of both. There’s definitely a significant part in Republic City, but there’s also a little more exploration of some other areas which we won’t tell you about just yet.

[They both laugh, like they're in on some secret joke.]

Konietzko: It’s definitely not as confined, but like Mike said, about half and half.

Edited by Reverend Jax

Dr. Dardo?

Jax is a dr. like this guy is a dr.

tumblr_miqqtvulRJ1qzx70zo1_500.jpg

[Clears throat]

DrofMetaphysicssmall.jpg

Inevitable forthcoming apology preemptively accepted.

And to answer your other question,

Also wondering if Dr. Dardo ordered the blu ray or DVD of the series?

I actually bought both the DVD and the Bluray. The DVD was only $13.96 and the Bluray was only $18.89 when it first appeared on Amazon (it went up to $23.99 since). I wanted the Bluray obviously, but since I evangelize this series and ATLA a lot and lend out the DVD sets when people show interest, I figured I would pick up the DVD too. And it goes without saying that the art and animation of the original series was so beautiful that if they every remastered it in HD and rereleased it on Bluray, I wouldn't give a second thought to immediately repurchasing all three seasons.

Edited by Reverend Jax

So they announced that the first episode of Book 2 called Rebel Spirit (the episode titles in ATLA were usually very explicit and straightforward, but in Korra the episode titles have had a lot more double meanings and been much more thematic and mysterious) will be screened at Comic Con Korra panel tomorrow. I thought they were going to announce the release date as being in September, but if they are screening the season premiere, maybe it'll be even soon, like August.

Hopefully they will release it online soon after. Last year, the first two episodes of Book 1 were released online for free a full 3 weeks before their air date, so let's hope. I really don't want a shitty cam of that Comic Con screening to get out without a clean version, because I know I'm not going to be able to help myself.

Well, while more Aang stuff would obviously be welcome, it has been reported that this season will answer a lot of the open question about how the first Avatar came to be, and how the Avatar cycle began, and what the significance of the Spirit World is.

Set your eyes on Wan:

LegendofKorra_Wan_SteveYeun-660x371.jpgyeun.jpg

He will be played by Stephen Yuen, known better to most as Glenn on AMC's The Walking Dead, and he will play the first ever Avatar.

Edited by Reverend Jax

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...