Hondo's Bar

i ♥ hip-hop

The NZA

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

:misty: it's crazy, for years i thought Love Movement was as much as we would get from Tribe - Beats, Rhymes & Life was a fantastic documentary on them & their fallout that was so heartbreaking, i don't know if i could make it through it again.

then - they finally got back together! and all i heard was everything was on point, Jarobi came through & the rest of the surviving members of the Ummah (Ali Shaheed Mohammed, but RIP Dilla), and the other pieces fell in place!  

then Phife died.  just over 2 years ago now.

but they still had enough to put out one of their best works & still one of my favorite albums of the last decade.  like, i know there's no tribe without phife, but just seeing this as their final video is still a mix of abject sadness & absolute delight we got one more classic out of them.  rest in power, phifer. 

so i'm watching The Art of Organized Noize on netflix, and it's a blast - you get to see the dungeon that OutKast, Goodie Mob & them recorded from.  they just got to how Noize got hooked up (via LA Reid) to do the remix for TLC's "What about your friends" and how it's technically the first appearance of pre-OutKast Dre & Big Boi

jump to 3:40 for 3k!

[�IMG]

Notorious B.I.G. "biography" is scheduled to premiere this June on A&E. The two-part Biggie: The Life of Notorious B.I.G. will feature new interviews with the rapper's mother Voletta Wallace and widow Faith Evans, as well as Puff Daddy, Jay Z, Nas and associates like Lil Cease and members of the Junior M.A.F.I.A.

The first part of Biggie will air June 28th, with the second installment following on June 29th. The documentary features never before seen archival footage and audio recordings from Christopher Wallace's life. Biggie is the second documentary about the rapper to be authorized by the estate: One More Chance, produced by Voletta Wallace and directed by the Malloy Brothers, is also currently in the works after it was announced in February.

Notorious B.I.G., Tupac Shakur Documentaries Headed to A&E

it was pushed back to September 4th last year, but should be up for streaming soon!  they're also doing one about Pac's death apparently? either way,  can't wait 

[IMG]

• 2 weeks later...

hopeful here but cudi's been asscheeks for a minute, i think i may want this less than the j cole/kendrick joint

to be fair though, yeezy x cudi has rarely not been a hot track though, could be cool 

also - shit, this one's supposed to be produced by ye too!

also, got to see this live last week - RZA re-scored Enter the 36 Chambers (a top 3 all-time kung-fu flick) with Wu beats, and a few freestyles he & Masta Killah dropped.  so dope, i hope i find a good bootleg somewhere!

RZA: LIVE FROM THE 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN is coming to Miami! from III Points on Vimeo.

• 2 weeks later...

also, finally reading ego trip's book of rap lists - panch & donny, you both gotta check this one out sometime man

same - honestly your post kinda fits how I've felt about kendricks TDE crew overall. schoolboy q has a few tracks but i don't dig his albums, ab soul got hype from his early efforts but everything else is a mass, and i still feel like jay rock peaked at his verse on money trees. 

also their album releases/tours etc are sloppy and I'm pretty sure they're managed by Ern 

i liked so much g-funk shit in the day though...bay area stuff too

i guess i thought a group named "black hippy" would have more unique stuff (good though, not flab-soul's druggie mess)...what jay rock stuff did you like? maybe i should give dude another try