Hondo's Bar

Scott Pilgrim vs The World

It ain't out here yet so sssshhhh.

I had no clue it was a comic adaptation until I walked into a comic store a few weeks ago and there is a huge Scott Pilgrim stand filled to the gills with the trades. All I heard was Edgar Wright and I came a a-running.

I saw the trailer and it was faptastic. I need to see this movie very soon. The comics look a little...faux-japanese for my tastes but I think I shall enjoy this movie in blissful ignorance of its source material.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...wow. anyway, needed more "CHAU ON THIS!!". kim fans i get (she was a fair casting, i get wanting more time with her, even if i didnt think she was so major), Ramona felt like Ramona to me, which is to say she's a vehicle for Scott to pine over and dissapear on him. weird that none of ya'll missed

the wooly misanthrope that Steven ends up with at the end of the book, i remember liking him.

...wow. anyway, needed more "CHAU ON THIS!!". kim fans i get (she was a fair casting, i get wanting more time with her, even if i didnt think she was so major), Ramona felt like Ramona to me, which is to say she's a vehicle for Scott to pine over and dissapear on him. weird that none of ya'll missed

the wooly misanthrope that Steven ends up with at the end of the book, i remember liking him.

Knives was well represented in the film man

I mean she was a huge focus in the first half and a big part of the Climax. Knives' basic story arc is more or less the same.

And yeah I missed Kim's roommate, but he was decidedly minor.

Who wasn't minor in the books was Kim, she had a greater impact on the overall storyline than Knives did.

She ended up being Ramona's only friend that we actually see (sans maybe Julie), and especially in the last half of the series she was integral to the whole story. How is she not major?

IIRC, she's also one of the most popular characters from the book.

Adult Swim ran an animated short though that at least had the first part of the Scott/Kim backstory. Apparently this was made to be a promo for the film.Cera feels a bit more like Scott when he's just doing the voice, odd.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350" data="http://i.adultswim.com/adultswim/video2/tools/swf/viralplayer.swf"><param'>http://i.adultswim.com/adultswim/video2/tools/swf/viralplayer.swf"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.adultswim.com/adultswim/video2/tools/swf/viralplayer.swf"/><param name="FlashVars" value="id=8a250aae2a65e3fc012a66d7e11f0006" /><embed src="http://i.adultswim.com/adultswim/video2/tools/swf/viralplayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" FlashVars="id=8a250aae2a65e3fc012a66d7e11f0006" allowFullScreen="true" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

yeah, see, i was saying she wasn't major to me. i meant to re-read the book, but i didn't get the feel for her that you guys did, is all. so Knives > Kim, and i was referencing her best line the book, i just missed that in the movie is all (there was plenty of Knives and Wallace, but you never get enough of your favorites, etc). see, i got misunderstood, and i didn't even get to talk to you like a douchebag. :sad: so lemme try again

goddamn dude we should rename you BITCHcruz or something cause your opinions are dumb and unlike my own i mean HOW DARE YOU speak on cera without finishing arrested development something something cap > bats Silent Hill 3 cassandra iraq war Q.E.D.

Wow. Jax? Acting like a douche to someone for no reason?

Really?

I call you a cad, sir, and insist you cease these obvious slanderous and libelous attacks against Eddy immediately, lest I be forced to seek legal actions against you in his honor.

For shame, sir.

for shame

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIR2XYGDxCo?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIR2XYGDxCo?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIR2XYGDxCo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIR2XYGDxCo?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIR2XYGDxCo?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIR2XYGDxCo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

But obviously it was SOOO unfaithful to the book. They totally ruined it. :sarcasm:

Anyway, as awesome as the movie was, it is projected to do pretty poorly in its opening weekend. Not just is it looking to be easily outgrossed by The Expendables and Eat Pray Love, but it will very fall behind The Other Guys in its 2nd weekend, and possibly behind Inception in its 5th weekend, which would mean it debuted at #5. I can't find a site that shows how many screens nationwide are playing each movie, but I've read Pilgrim got fewer screens than the other two openers. Just like Kick-Ass, this movie was made pretty faithfully to its source material and got pretty positive reviews (76% on Rotten Tomatoes for Kick-Ass, 80% for Scott Pilgrim). Watchmen (which also got good reviews - 64% on RT) was a financial flop and Kick-Ass feel short of expectations, so if Scott Pilgrim flops, like the this opening weekend indicates it's likely to, Hollywood might not have the appetite to give any director a sizable budget to faithfully adapt comic books that aren't your iconic and established-for-a-generation-or-longer superheroes.

I didn't realize SPvTW had so much competition this weekend. Ash and I saw it today and she liked it and I frickin' loved it. I can't believe JZA is pouring so much haterade all over this film. I haven't read the books yet, but now I realllllllllllly want to get those read. It just moved tot he top of my comic queue.

So yeah, Pilgrim finished in 5th place this weekend with like ten or eleven million, and with a sixty million dollar production budget (not including marketing). It's pretty hard to conceive that this movie won't be a flop by the end of it's run. I'll probably go see it again next weekend because I enjoyed it and I feel it should make more money.

MH: I knew as soon as the film was over that this would be a film I'll add to my DVD/BR collection, but I'm not sure I'd put it in my all-time top 10. Definitely my Top 10 comic book films though--maybe even Top 5 in that category...

Jax: Not sure if I'd go that far to help out a movie studio make profit. The film speaks for itself and will likely find a profit on video. But the main thing is it will remain in the hearts and minds of geeks for a long time to come. However, . I might buy tix for SPvTW but go see SALT or Expendables... ^_^

Haku: dont tell JZA its actually kinda anti-hipster; he's planning on reading it and heisenberg would already have too much to say on his perception vs my words here

(MTV) Why 'Expendables' Soared, 'Scott Pilgrim' Crashed At Box Office

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/164...16/story.jhtml

At one end of the cinema landscape this weekend stood a bunch of past-their-prime action heroes with quick trigger fingers and arthritic knees. At the other end lounged some hipster ass-kickers, spouting jaded one-liners and every so often brawling like "Mortal Kombat" warriors.

Given such a matchup, you might be forgiven for thinking that 64-year-old Sylvester Stallone and "The Expendables" had no chance in competing with Michael Cera's "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" at the box office. But Sly dominated, even outperforming early estimates, pulling in $35 million. Meanwhile, "Scott Pilgrim," which was tracking poorly to begin with, managed only a disappointing $10.5 million.

So what happened? Why did "Expendables" kill it, while "Scott Pilgrim" couldn't expand its audience from the niche fans who went all foamy-at-the-mouth during the flick's Comic-Con panel?

"Lionsgate is the best in the business at targeting adult men with ultra-violent fare," said Gitesh Pandya of Box Office Guru. " 'Expendables' worked well at the box office because it offered a value-pack of stars and had great marketing. Stallone by himself doesn't sell, but backed by an army of familiar faces, it became a can't-miss action film for many people. The misleading push of how Stallone, [Arnold] Schwarzenegger, and [bruce] Willis were doing their first action movie together probably fooled a few folks into buying tickets too."

Yet action flicks have been anything but reliable box-office draws this summer. Films such as "The A-Team" and "Knight and Day" — like "Expendables," flicks starring well-known talent and not dressed up with 3-D or a ton of CG work — underperformed this year. Did "Expendables" simply benefit from a vastly superior marketing campaign, or was there something about its particular brand of action that resonated with the public? Jeff Bock, box-office analyst for Exhibitor Relations, argues that Sly's flick benefited from an emphasis on grenades instead of laughs.

" 'A-Team' and 'Knight and Day' are action/comedies, whereas 'The Expendables' is a balls-to-the-wall action flick," he said. "When action junkies want their fix, hardcore is the only answer, and until 'The Expendables' was released, we hadn't seen a straight-up action flick all summer long."

"Scott Pilgrim," conversely, arrived on the scene during a year that had already seen lesser-known comic properties like "Kick-Ass" and "Jonah Hex" fail to connect with mainstream audiences. Box-office experts cited a number of factors to explain why "Scott Pilgrim," based on graphic novels that have become cult hits but are largely unfamiliar to most moviegoers, didn't become a breakout hit.

" 'Scott Pilgrim' is an awesome film, just like 'Kick-Ass' was, but it's too cool for its own good," Bock said. "When you only appeal to teens and hipsters, you're limiting your audience, and your film better only cost $30 million. Pilgrim cost at least twice that amount. Don't spend more than $30 million on films that are too hip for the general populace."

Given its limited demographic appeal, the movie was simply a huge financial risk for Universal. Still, as we've seen with "Expendables," a stellar marketing campaign can work wonders at the box office. Phil Contrino, editor at BoxOffice.com, said that the studio's marketing effort could have "played up the romance a little bit more, [which] may have brought in more female moviegoers, but it wouldn't have made a huge difference."

"It's a film with a narrow appeal and Michael Cera is far from a reliable draw at the box office," he added. "It's destined to be a cult hit and it could make up for its lackluster theatrical performance with strong sales on home-viewing platforms."

Pandya points to the summer's crowded release schedule as another reason for the movie's $10.5 million opening (which put it in fifth place, just behind "Inception" in its fifth weekend). " 'Scott Pilgrim' could have worked better at a different time of the year," he said. "The target audience of young people tend to get tapped out of cash by late summer and become even more picky with their few dollars left, especially this year with so much more they have to spend on 3-D movies. Studios and production companies should think more about costs before turning comic properties into movies, given how flooded the market is becoming. Fans don't have the time and money to see everything."

I didn't realise it was directed by Edgar Wright and would love to see a new movie of his no matter the content(even Hot Fuzz had it's moments), but seeing hipster propaganda, even anti-hipster propaganda* flop is too enticing. I'll torrent a DVD rip because the entire cast deserves to fail. :D

*Hey NZA: Did I ever tell you fourth-wall-breaking self-deprication like the shit that Hack Kirkman tries to pull off is the platinum crown & matching belt wearing KING of my many hates? I'd love to hear how SP's anti Hipster, and then I have some timeshares I'd just love to discuss with you.

oh, i know i'm preachin' to the choir here cause you've no doubt read the book as you said you were gonna, but the movie/book takes a piss on goths, emos, vegans, indie culture, and a lot more, while having a good time. i understand the bootlegging, though: only a true Arrested Development fan would support Cera's efforts.

PS Deadpool weeps for your 4th-wall hatred. never, ever read Grant Morrison.

oh, and Kirkman doesn't break the 4th wall in Invincible or Walking Dead, (almost 100% certain this is true for Wolfman & Haunt, his only 2 other books), both of which you presumably read & know they're awesome, dude hasn't written for Marvel since 2007, you may not know that being in Oz but you should nonetheless take an ex lax & let that shit go one day, Q.E.D., etc.

I also can't recall any fourth-wall breaking in this movie. Any yeah, Nick is right. The way the movie is anti-hipster is that the villains are basically all hipsters, and Scott Pilgrim kicks the shit out of them. I mean,

you have a vegan villain who went to vegan academy and has special vegan-fueled psychic powers because "vegans are just better than everybody else," that you have to trick into drinking a coffee with half-n-half so the vegan police come and take him away, that's not really pro-hipster, it's making fun of them.

Tasting your own "medicine," Jay? Nah, too easy.

What Was That on Michael Cera's Face at the London 'Scott Pilgrim' Premiere?

by Mike Ryan · August 19, 2010

200x250_michaelcera_081910.jpg

What's that scribbled on Michael Cera's face? Inexplicably, the quirky actor showed up to the Tuesday-night London premiere of his new movie, "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World," with his own initials written in ink on his nose. Despite a call to Universal's PR team, the reasons for the Sharpie-scrawled "MC" remain a mystery (other than as a possible reminder for his monogram).

Earlier the same evening, "Pilgrim" co-star Jason Schwartzman was spotted wandering around London with a faux lipstick-kiss smudge on his right cheek that was autographed by Cera, who apparently has developed a fondness for face-related art.

Though "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" hasn't yet found much of a domestic audience (it made just $10.6 million at the box office on its opening weekend), the offbeat, video-game-inspired graphic novel adaptation has earned critical acclaim. Perhaps fittingly, Cera has not shied away from similarly offbeat promotion to get the word out about the movie. In addition to the initials "stunt" at the premiere, last week, he and Schwartzman tried their hand

. Unfortunately for Atlanta residents (or fortunately, depending upon your perspective), the strange appearance featured as much diving out of the way of a computer-generated school bus as it did discussions of meteorological conditions. The duo did, however, refrain from doodling the five-day forecast across each other's faces.

I agree with MH. An instant top ten for me.

I haven't read any of the books (but I intend to), so I can't really speak about injustices done here, or completely messing up the arcs there. I'm not saying anything new when I say that movies adapted from books have to change for screen. The reason they have to is because not everyone is up-to-date on the literature. And you can't please all the people all the time, but what a screenplay writer has to do is convey an entire story (including backstory) into 1 1/2 to 3 hours or so, so that they can please most of the people and just have a few that say, "well, where the fuck is so-and-so".

I loved the action, I loved the style, I loved the acting, I loved the delivery of the jokes, I loved the characters even when they were being cheesy, I love the soundtrack.

I think when we over analyze things it takes the fun away.

And I'll put another movie up there that I would be a fanboy of, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. They changed a shitload from that movie. Some stuff incredibly important. But I took the books and the movie separately.

There was one small fourth-wall breaker that my friend had to point out to me

Comeau said something in Gideon's club about the books being better than the movie...

Really, not like talking directly to the audience, but whatever.

Oh and one more thing

Why did Scott fight? Are you fucking kidding me? ramona.jpg

There was one small fourth-wall breaker that my friend had to point out to me

Comeau said something in Gideon's club about the books being better than the movie...

Really, not like talking directly to the audience, but whatever.

That's not really breaking the fourth wall, that's more of a joke that is meant for the audience to get and not the characters. I mean, calling that 'breaking the fourth wall' is like saying that Cyclops asking Wolverine if he'd prefer yellow spandex in the first X-Men movie is breaking the fourth wall. It has a meaning to the audience of which the characters themselves are unaware. That's not the same thing as what happens in Wayne's World or Annie Hall. Anyway, that lines was an alternate version of the line he delivered

the first time Scott went through the level. The first time he said "Yeah, but their first album isn't as good as their first album," which I thought was equally brilliant in a completely different way.

Technically Jax is correct w/ labeling it dramatic irony if the character is unaware of the irony or significance of their statement while the audience is. However, if the character is aware of this irony in conjunction w/ the audience AND the reference in question deals with elements/situations/circumstances/etc. outside the character's fictional universe then Dante is indeed correct in calling it "breaking the fourth wall."

I'm not sure which is correct as I don't recall the specific line in question and the scenario surrounding it.

:loopy:

Well, character is supposedly omniscient and comic book exists outside of universe.

Still, in the most basic form of fourth wall breakage, this was not one. He didn't look at the screen and say, "psst, book was better than the movie."

However, here's another one for you. In Josie and the Pussycats, when they are on the plane, Alexander's character turns to his sister, Alexandra (I had to look those up), and asks her something to the effect of 'if you don't like them, why are you even here?' to which she replies, "Cause I was in the comic book." He says "what?" and she dismisses.

Similar situation character isn't talking directly to audience, but still manages to reference something outside of their world.

Fourth wall, or dramatic irony?

Well, character is supposedly omniscient and comic book exists outside of universe.

Still, in the most basic form of fourth wall breakage, this was not one. He didn't look at the screen and say, "psst, book was better than the movie."

However, here's another one for you. In Josie and the Pussycats, when they are on the plane, Alexander's character turns to his sister, Alexandra (I had to look those up), and asks her something to the effect of 'if you don't like them, why are you even here?' to which she replies, "Cause I was in the comic book." He says "what?" and she dismisses.

Similar situation character isn't talking directly to audience, but still manages to reference something outside of their world.

Fourth wall, or dramatic irony?

I don't think Comeau is ever said to be omniscient, he just knows everybody. And was just overheard saying the comic was better than the movie. I think it's implied he's talking about some other book/movie, and the audience gets the inside joke.

Breaking he fourth wall refers to how on a studio set for a movie or TV, a room often has three walls, and there is an open wall where the camera and sound crew are set up.

sitcom-5.jpg

Actors are supposed to pretend that there is a fourth wall where the cameras and sound equipment are. Breaking that illusion by addressing the audience directly and acknowledging their existence is breaking the fourth wall. Inside jokes that only the audience could possibly get don't count.

PS Scott Pilgrim dropped from #5 in it's opening weekend to #10 in it's second weekend with a greater than 50% drop in revenue, which is considered pretty bad and it'll probably lose alot of screens next weekend.

Archived