Hondo's Bar

Scott Pilgrim vs The World

Yeah, I know where the term came from, but I just think it's adaptable. Was before TV and screen, used in plays also referred to as an aside. Which is literally when the actor breaks dialogue to speak directly to the audience.

I'm just debating that indirectly it is possible to break the illusion of the fourth wall by referencing something outside of the actor's world. Call it what you will.

Anyway, I thought Comeau knew "everything" as opposed to "everyone". I plan on watching it again anyway so I'll try to catch that the second time around. So if that was the case, then no, it wouldn't be a break on the fourth wall.

But what about my Josie comment? Would you consider that one to be a fourth wall breaker? She explicitly mentioned the comic book from which the movie was adapted. She doesn't turn to the audience ala Hulk Hogan in Gremlins 2, Matthew Broderick telling us to smell the roses in Ferris Bueller, or Rory Cochrane in Empire Records, but she does mention the existence to something outside of the movie.

Hopefully after this we can end the discussion of what is or isn't breaking fourth walls. Cause it's pretty much festering and rotting in the corner.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This movie was foookin EPIC! @_@... it made the videogame nerd in me oooze all over the theatre. My pot head friend's mind was totall blown... I told him I wanted to go see it and he saw it twice with me... (I never see a movie in the theatre twice unless someone pays for me the 2nd time or its free... o and iz gotta be reeels guud)

O and the main chick ...I'm goin nutz for her for sum reason... Im so diggin her style ..errr character >_>... wait.. I was rite the first time...

Saw it tonight and hooooly shiiiit! It fucking ruled. I don't know how it's not making money. A few people actually left the damn cinema 20 minutes in! Oh the bloodlust...

I want to see it again and this time not with three girls who laugh incredibly loud and form a chorus of "aaaawww thats sooo cuuute" at anything remotely romantic or endearing in a film.

I don't know how it's not making money. A few people actually left the damn cinema 20 minutes in! Oh the bloodlust...

Ungrateful heathens! But yea I really dug this movie. I actually thought the shit they left out of the movie from the book were the worst parts of the book. this will be finding a nice comfortable place among my blurays :D

I literally read through all the books the week before this came out lol. but yea they are very good. the movie and the books were pretty much hand in hand with one another minus a few details of course. not more edgy than the movie, but not less. the illustrations grow on you as the story progresses too. fun reads overall

Don't know what rating it got there but here it got 12A which means any kids under twelve need to be supervised by an adult. I think they got away with a fair amount for that rating. They said shit, cock etc quite a few times and their was some mild adult humour which normally earns a movie a 15A here.

Just something I found interesting.

Edgar Wright's probably going to be made the king of Europe at this rate, so the Irish film board probably considers it a PSA(though Colin Farrel clocking the uppity bitch from Rome should serve the same). On the combined strength of the game(which is AWESOME) and the desire to see a new Edgar Wright movie, I'ma go check this out onna weekend. I really hope I have the resolve to be one of the folks walking out 20 mins in.

Edgar Wright's probably going to be made the king of Europe at this rate, so the Irish film board probably considers it a PSA(though Colin Farrel clocking the uppity bitch from Rome should serve the same). On the combined strength of the game(which is AWESOME) and the desire to see a new Edgar Wright movie, I'ma go check this out onna weekend. I really hope I have the resolve to be one of the folks walking out 20 mins in.

Many many classic game references and hipsters getting deaded. It's your kind of movie.

Well I'm ready to be berated and tossed into a fire for saying this but I think the movie was better than the books.

I think that the different forms of media (monochrome comics VS movie) have different strengths, and if part of your story involved video game homage fighting, film just lends itself better to that. The comic gives you more opportunity to move a story at a variety of paces and not lose the audiences attention. In the book, all the Lisa Miller, Knives' dad, wilderness sabbatical, etc stuff, it would have made the movie feel bloats and uneven, but it the books it works. I'm not going to say it was better, but I definitely don't think it was worse, but over time I may change my mind.

• 3 weeks later...

I read vol. 1 of SP and was kinda meh about it. I'm thinking about just skipping to vol. 6 since it's supposed to be a different ending from the film...

Oh, and there's this--SPvsHK:

evilEXharry.gif

HK?

Also, I hear that Scott Pilgrim's been beat out by Vampires suck in the theater. No movie (aside from other movies made by the Jason Friedberg/Aaron Seltzer team) deserves that. Go see this movie again (if you're seen it already, go see it for the first time if not). And bring a friend. This is some fucking bullshit!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Where the hell is axel? He needs to get in here so we can discuss how fucking unbelievably awesome the BR is. I just watched the film, deleted scenes (w/ and w/out commentary), blooper reel, and a music featurette and I'm not even 1/3 of the way through all the special features. I love this movie

Alternate ending?!? Whaaaa??!??!!?

Scott doesn't end up w/ Ramona and goes back w/ Knives! Damn that was a freaky scene to watch. I'm so glad they changed it to mirror more like how the comic ended.

Archived