Hondo's Bar

Batman and/VS Wolverine

Keth

Batman Vs Wolverine  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You mention using his grenades to escape and immediately dismiss "prep-time"? For shame, sir.

That picture of Wolverine getting hit by a car and immediately getting back up was during his no-adamantium phase. His healing factor was fucking crazy at that point, theory being that it is usually weaker because it's constantly dealing with his body rejecting the adamantium.

that was indeed true, but since the last infusion (maybe Apocalypse had better tech?), there's been no talk of adamantium poisoning, though. i remember it was a big focus after he lost the metal (right before that, i remember Sauron the dino tearing his tendon and he had to go chill till it healed), but not since he got it back.

again, look at what Nitro did to him in Civil War:

qCTYh.jpg

he's fighting like a page or two later. admittedly, i think it's way overpowered for him.

there was a flashback series called Logan a year or two back where he got nuked and had to sleep that off, though.

Seriously though, all it would take is for Batman to knock Wolverine out once. No easy task, of course, but with all these tools at his disposal, I think Bats can evade long enough to get one lucky shot in (and by evade, I mean, a few minutes). If we throw his non-killing clause out the window then, yes, Batman can win.

One lucky swipe with the claws, though... and Wolverine is home in time for lunch.

First, savage:

DemonKnights21.jpg

better image of him. Dude is a barbarian first, civilized second.

Again, the problem with all of these vs battles is the fact that setting the "rules" of the fight is problematic. In a room with no way out and no gear? Probably Wolvie. If they each had to hunt each other across the city for 24 hours and it was a running fight? Bats by a mile. Bats has MUCH better mobility than Wolverine has via his gliding, ziplines, vehicles and the like. Fact is he could probably pepper Wolverine from a distance with all sorts of stuff while Logan tries in vain to get close to him. The to the death thing seems problematic mainly because well, Bats doesn't kill, that and that Nitro comic never happened.

As for gadgets, Bats has several standard ones that can work well, you have a metric ass ton of batarangs of different shapes, sizes, and abilities. A freeze one, a high explosive one, or an extremely powerful gas one could knock Wolvie out for a period of time. Second, cuffs, yeah not that glamorous, but Bruce has cuffs that can hold people like Croc, and they are damned strong, he also locks the wrists together, so once that's done, the claws become a bit useless.

Moving beyond that a high powered flash bang would mess Logan up, high concentrate tranqs have knocked him out as well. Back at the cave we can pull out other stuff as well, ultrasonics, power armor, magic swords, and a whole load of other stuff. Give him a blood sample and a day and he'll likely find out how to at least retard the healing factor, but even without that Bats should be able to knock Wolverine out. and keep him out. And most of these items aren't a result of massive prep. A lot of these he has on him all the time, or can have delivered to him quickly. So no this is by no means a Batman has no chance scenario.

facts.png

I just wanted to point out the "badass killing machine" you and baytor were propping up back there.

the one who got beat by catman driving a truck into him once.

You're out of your fucking element, Donnie! I assume you're talking about when Wildcat (don't you talk about Catman like you know him when you don't) hit him with a firetruck and then it was revealed at the end of the next storyarc that he was behind what followed and was totally not dead at all. I'm pretty sure getting hit by a firetruck would stop Wolverine too (a steam roller sure did.)

I also submit this:

"Vandal Savage has a genius-level intellect, excellent combat skills, and has been schooled in millennia of history, warfare and science. He has had and lost superhuman abilities over the years. Savage renews these powers through the consumption of his enemies' blood. Although he is immortal and does not age, he may be killed through injury. Savage also harvests the organs and blood of his descendants to maintain his health.

Vandal Savage has enhanced strength and endurance. He can create inter-dimensional warps and often uses advanced technology to further his efforts to obtain power. He sometimes manipulates magic to further his schemes."

He's also been the righthand man behind just about every major warlord or conqueror in the history of the world. So he's super strong, super smart, has a full on healing factor, can create inter-dimensional warps, has advanced knowledge and abilities in both technology and magic, and is so old that he's literally the world's first murderer, he is literally Cain. It's also of note the "be killed through injury" thing work's much like with Wolverine, he just doesn't have a fancy metal skeleton to stop bullets and blades and the like.

Also he may wear frilly pirate shirts but they're still infinitely preferable to yellow/blue spandex with knee-high boots which feature random black spikes. And he rocks a pair of superior muttonchops.

I also appreciate that your counterpoint to him killing Darkseid was "he used a gun" because he could totally just use that on Wolverine. And Bain is not a b-class villain unless you're referring to the TV show or the movie. Bain is effectively "evil Batman" and he's a top-tier villain. (You'd know that if you read Secret Six)

And I pointed out why "Wolverine beat the Hulk" is such a cop-out, he's never beaten him in a fight where he didn't have some major advantage over him. And time the Hulk's had and IQ higher than "SMASH!" he didn't stand a chance. DC's two top badass assassins (Or badassassins if you will), Deathstroke and Deadshot, are routinely beaten by him and it's not always "bad writing's" fault.

You can make fun of rampant Batman fanboyism but you may want to look in a mirror, you're overselling Mr. Howlett a lot.

Edited by Iambaytor

Seriously though, all it would take is for Batman to knock Wolverine out once. No easy task, of course, but with all these tools at his disposal, I think Bats can evade long enough to get one lucky shot in (and by evade, I mean, a few minutes). If we throw his non-killing clause out the window then, yes, Batman can win.

again: how?

you guys are forgetting that wolverine is one of the few characters that takes direct punches from the hulk. i specifically cited methods on supergirl/etc because it'd take something on that level to hope for a (short-lived) concussion.

As for gadgets, Bats has several standard ones that can work well, you have a metric ass ton of batarangs of different shapes, sizes, and abilities. A freeze one, a high explosive one, or an extremely powerful gas one could knock Wolvie out for a period of time. Second, cuffs, yeah not that glamorous, but Bruce has cuffs that can hold people like Croc, and they are damned strong, he also locks the wrists together, so once that's done, the claws become a bit useless.

Moving beyond that a high powered flash bang would mess Logan up, high concentrate tranqs have knocked him out as well. Back at the cave we can pull out other stuff as well, ultrasonics, power armor, magic swords, and a whole load of other stuff. Give him a blood sample and a day and he'll likely find out how to at least retard the healing factor, but even without that Bats should be able to knock Wolverine out. and keep him out. And most of these items aren't a result of massive prep. A lot of these he has on him all the time, or can have delivered to him quickly. So no this is by no means a Batman has no chance scenario.

this is pretty good, didn't know about the cuffs. ill grant you that if he survives to reach the bat-cave, his chances get better.

Hell, they've found out ways to turn off mutant powers (including Wolverine's, I think) for periods of time in the past, so finding a way past his healing factor definitely seems possible.

oh man, i was thinking about that...it's happened, and it's so cheap everytime as a writing tool.

most times it's a "mutant/superhero power dampener" in a big prison or the like, which doesn't entirely shut if off, but the worst part? the fact that every cop in the marvel U doesnt have a nightstick made of that stuff is just fucked up, haha.

the other time, Weapon X used a satellite attached to Leech to beam a laser at him that killed it for 24 hours....yeah. he dodged shit pretty good, but Sabretooth had the metal and bled him out in the end, where he was "dead" for 24 hours and...god, im sad i remember that issue, it was fuckin awful.

point is, these instances rely on mad prep time/resources he doesn't immediately have.

Some kinda super acid might be effective. Bats could whip that up.

remember though, melting his skin still allows him to come at you, we've seen this countless fights. he fought & beat Omega Red missing like half of it.

Also he may wear frilly pirate shirts but they're still infinitely preferable to yellow/blue spandex with knee-high boots which feature random black spikes. And he rocks a pair of superior muttonchops.

he also got beaten by his 18 year old daughter from your precious Secret Six, which you can keep reading.

thanks for coming out ryan, but i'm done talking about the caveman.

I also appreciate that your counterpoint to him killing Darkseid was "he used a gun" because he could totally just use that on Wolverine.

uh-huh. shame he didnt have/use it sooner, huh? it's not on him, and frank miller's not writing. you used to be good at this kinda thing man.

And I pointed out why "Wolverine beat the Hulk" is such a cop-out, he's never beaten him in a fight where he didn't have some major advantage over him. And time the Hulk's had and IQ higher than "SMASH!" he didn't stand a chance. DC's two top badass assassins (Or badassassins if you will), Deathstroke and Deadshot, are routinely beaten by him and it's not always "bad writing's" fault.

you should really do your homework, man.

the Mcfarlane fight you've cited was a clear round-1 victory for logan, though the next round didn't go so well, then the fight got called (old Wizard mags frequently had Hana and other writers saying they didn't like seeing a clear victor in the fight, which i always thought was weird, Hulk should rightly smash him most times)

but let's look at other stuff since you're playing at being knowledgeable with the contrarian bit.

2BVtF.jpg

Wolverine as Death (who also stopped X-Man, which was crazy) damn near kills him, ports away when he feels bad.

Hulk obviously wins more times than not, but Logan has beat him. He manages to kill him in that old "What if?" too, if you're willing to admit that into court.

Tangent: One thing that always bugged me back in the day is that every 2 bit supervillain had a closet full of those mutant ability inhibitor collars, so why the fuck didn't Rogue just hang on to one and go on a fuck frenzy instead of being so goddamn angsty all the time?

he also got beaten by his 18 year old daughter from your precious Secret Six, which you can keep reading.

thanks for coming out ryan, but i'm done talking about the caveman.

Oh you mean the 18-year-old daughter that has the exact same powers and abilities and he's been grooming as his rightful heir for centuries and had the help of an 8-foot-tall redhead with powers comparable to Wonderboy Superman? Also Wolverine was a horseman of Apocalypse when he almost killed the Hulk, that's a handicap.

Edited by Iambaytor

you put rules on one side, but not on the other, man.

did you read that run? there was nothing in there that implied Apocalypse augmented his powers - he certainly has with others, but not a single thing pointing to that here. the hookup :wolvy: apparently got, or so i thought, was metal that his body didn't reject, but i wanna say it's been said since that it was the only time he undertook the procedure willingly, so that might've actually been the cause.

only thing he had different was the 'porting, and he didn't use that continuously like say deadpool has, or that cool guy from batman beyond in that one fight. i'm not seeing the handicap there.

once again, the fact that he didn't bump off an x-man in their skirmish was such bullshit too, wasted opportunity

i wouldn't say he wiped the floor with Nate, he strangely handled it but that's right up there with him, again, one-hit knocking out the Thing...that's legitimately bad writing/ignoring weight class.

also - and it's been years - i recall X-Man having severe issues with power fluctuations, leaving him significantly weaker when combating them. fuck man, he lost a psionic battle with Norman Osborn a year or so back.

the hulk fight i can post most of here though, it was fairly legit - got the crap beaten out of him for the majority of it, got in an ideal spot to do damage. again i'll research it if you want but nothing pointed to him getting strength augmentation, it was just one of his few wins in that class. don't give me slade and your caveman and paper-champ his moments, man!

again, in the Mcfarlane issue: no. there's a quick Fixit encounter in early of Wolverine vol 1 where he chumps Patch, though. good times.

i haven't read Hulk since the Red stuff, so i can't say, but it was certainly back to dumb hulk at that point. and yeah, i don't think there's much arguing that "HULK SMASH" is the default point - we've had other transitions (pretty boy Hulk/Banner in the 90s which bored most to tears, Banner being able to tap into Hulk's strength in the early 2000's run, Planet Hulk which was great till WWH etc) but most iconic Hulk stores are smash, which again compared to Fixit or the merging of the 2 personalities is also the stronger one, making :wolvy: 's victory over that form even more important.

i'm really not gonna keep trying to win hearts & minds here - at least bish's last post had some pertinent examples - but i'm still surprised at baytor's take on this one, given his words in the batman vs cap thread:

Captain America can beat Bane rather easily (I realize he had a little trouble beating him in the DC vs. Marvel but Venom was kicking Superman's ass, so that book can't be trusted) and using nothing more than his fists and his shield, no batarangs, no smoke pellets, no descending from gargoyles, or pulling tubes out of his back. He would beat him senseless.

Batman's used to fighting whimpy psychopaths with fast reflexes and deadly weapons or giant brawlers. Ra's and Bane have been his only real challenges fighting-wise and Cap could take either one easily.

good points, man! boy i wonder if wolvy would have trouble with Bane

Oh sure, if he got his Deus-ex Millenium Falcon gloves that he fought Darkseid with he could beat him, and if Cap got the ark of the covenant he could melt Batman's face off but that would be retarded because it's a fucking deus ex. And really that's what it always comes down to: when Batman faces a foe that is not either A) Weaker than him or B) A straight up brawler he gets helped by another superhero, gets lucky, or pulls some magical mystery device out of his ass that fixes everything. That's what "prep time" goes down to, Batman goes home and either looks up the strategy guide or builds a ______ defeating device (AKA the Reed Richards method).

can't argue with that! and this isn't a prep time fight or a tag-team, so...

Also Black Panther beat an entire army of super skrulls with a fucking sword, lets see Batman do that. Also, Cap has taken on Thanos, The Hulk, and a myriad of other villains as strong if not stronger than most of the JLA's shit list (leaving Amazo, Darkseid, and Doomsday as the only milestones) Plus in all those events he's had the help of Superman, Wonder Woman, and a plethora of other heroes stronger than him. Batman's strongest villain is either Bane, Blockbuster, or Solomon Grundy his craftiest villain is The Joker, and his most formidable villain is Ra's Al Ghul (Who still doesn't hold up to Dr. Doom or even Baron Zemo, though I suppose he's still better than Red Skull.) We have brawlers, sadistic thin men, and a megolomaniac who's defined by his swordsmanship and his ability to be immortal when the need arises.

man, i just can't stop agreeing with you here, my friend.

really does make your vote stand out, since it's in league with shit like:

Nickus: Bruce is a self made superhero--a man who through his own sheer will has become one of the greatest forces for good in the DCU. Steve was a wimpy wannabe that had to drink magic hero juice. Cap died from a shot in the back by his crazy Whiskey Tango girlfriend. It took an intergalactic, multi-dimensional conquistador to Kill Bats. Winner: Batman.

did you know i was studying quantum theory before that post? it's actually dumbifying

Bish's post is kinda /end thread as far as I see it. I mean, your only response to it was basically "Yeah..."

You aren't winning people over cuz you're talking about the Hulk and shit and conveniently ignoring the guy who's totally called out your entire argument. Makes it sound like you're scared. Or wrong. Or a conservative in politics.

oh, so you're (almost) in this discussion now...? and if you're gonna invoke arch, i should try that too, it looks fun.

Hulk was brought up (years before by baytor as well), then paper-champed, so i addressed that. bish's post was nice but i don't think you actually read it; there's scarcely little to respond to.

As for gadgets, Bats has several standard ones that can work well, you have a metric ass ton of batarangs of different shapes, sizes, and abilities. A freeze one, a high explosive one, or an extremely powerful gas one could knock Wolvie out for a period of time

already talked about how batarangs of all kinds won't stop him, given how much worse he's hit with and keeps moving. as for gas:

uSlJX.jpg

CP0GK.jpg

Second, cuffs, yeah not that glamorous, but Bruce has cuffs that can hold people like Croc, and they are damned strong, he also locks the wrists together, so once that's done, the claws become a bit useless.

i acknowledged the cuff idea was interesting, but it's still not practical: the last thing wayne wants to do is get in close, that's where he loses very quickly. he needs something to incapacitate to use those, and no one commented after i pointed out the supplies he carries and how absolutely none of them can do that. i know that's inconvenient because he's the goddamn batman lol but stop and think about how little can actually stop logan, much less knock him out.

jkMBF.jpg

he's fine after a short distance hulk-clap. what do you possibly have that incapacitates that?

oh wait, logan doesn't wanna talk about the Hulk (despite asking about him a few posts back, haha). okay, here's a hit from Rogue, watch what he does to her.

M2q2S.jpg

NzKMs.jpg

better yet: if you can take full-on punches in bunches from spidey, this should really help illustrate how many tiers above bats' weight class you are, and how very little hope he has of doing anything resembling damage.

dKp7n.jpg

Moving beyond that a high powered flash bang would mess Logan up, high concentrate tranqs have knocked him out as well.

i replied illustrating the level of flash bang he'd need (super girl example) and how that's something he custom-made and brought for that encounter (not standard issue in a random fight), assuming he can even get it out in time. i also pointed out, via the last fight with Deadpool: "enough tranqs to stop 2 t-rex's". deadpool managed that (and it worked for almost a minute, still couldnt kill him in time), but that required days of prep time.

Back at the cave we can pull out other stuff as well, ultrasonics, power armor, magic swords, and a whole load of other stuff.

prep-time lite assumes he survives that far against marvel's best hunter (he won't), and that he can grab something ambiguous off the wall and hope it hurts him. i hope he reaches past the big penny and finds something specific that's not named here.

Give him a blood sample and a day and he'll likely find out how to at least retard the healing factor, but even without that Bats should be able to knock Wolverine out. and keep him out.

prep time argument, followed by baseless assumption.

A lot of these he has on him all the time, or can have delivered to him quickly.

no doubt, he can call alfred or any of the bat-family while being relentlessly pursued by an unstoppable killing machine. why not call for a JLA tag-out instead?

So no this is by no means a Batman has no chance scenario.

sure, anything's possible - maybe he does have a chance, but i'm not seeing where, and none of you can point to exactly where.

TL;DR logans if you're gonna hide behind someone else's post, pick a better one. baytor come back, you at least had your own words.

ps vs Deathstroke /end threadlolol

5Uj1N.jpg

The point I'm making about dumb-Hulk is that Wolverine can beat a stronger opponent, but not a smarter one. And I knew it was only a matter of time before you dug up my old Batman posts. The Cap argument was a different story. Cap and Batman are not on an even keel because Batman and Cap are even mentally but not physically. Also, there's the bit in Justice League: League of One where Wonder Woman beats him pretty fairly and since she's the closest thing to Cap (plus flying) in the DC universe I figured the same could be done by Cap.

Bats and Wolvy are even physically and not mentally even. Wolverine may have stores of knowledge on how to deal with opponents but doesn't change the fact that his go-to solution is "claws." They've made him lazy when it comes to fighting and it's when he deals with clever enemies that he struggles the most. I could see Wolverine taking The Thing or even Dumb-Hulk but I have a harder time imagining him faring so well against Daredevil or The Black Panther, maybe even Moon Knight.

Green Scar proved that repeated blunt force trauma to the head work well for making him punch drunk long enough to take out. My lack-of oxygen idea had a lot of merit. And don't even stand there and act like you don't find Batman having some sort of crazy batarang cuffs to be far too easy to believe. Or he could just get him into an adamantium box and pour the liquid shit on him until he asphyxiates. I'll admit there's some problem solving to be done, but we're talking about the guy who comes up with ways to take down every member of the Justice League in his spare time.

pretty fair post.

Also, there's the bit in Justice League: League of One where Wonder Woman beats him pretty fairly and since she's the closest thing to Cap (plus flying) in the DC universe I figured the same could be done by Cap.

i would argue WW is a few tiers above cap, but ive been reading stuff with him lifting several tons now so maybe it's closer than i thought.

if you want smarter wolvy battles, i'll see what i can dig up. i'm not arguing the fact he's written too often as leaping headfirst with claws sadly, but again, we had like the greater part of a decade with Larry Hama's crazy ass admitted he was gearing it towards "a WWF crowd". i can point to old Cleremont or more recent Rucka/Morisson etc but Daniel Way and Jason Aaron have really helped bring back his skill/intelligence.

Bats and Wolvy are even physically and not mentally even.

gonna have to disagree with you there, man: they're not even close, physically. i put a few examples in my last post, but here's another:

jb7Ih.jpg

if you want more examples of strength, agility/speed, durability etc just ask. again, they are not eve nearly in the same tier.

I could see Wolverine taking The Thing or even Dumb-Hulk but I have a harder time imagining him faring so well against Daredevil or The Black Panther, maybe even Moon Knight.

...huh. id love to do a thread later on some of those guys vs wolvy and see what scenarios you come up with, but i think my next will be bats against some of them, as id like to get a feel for where some of this board rates him.

Green Scar proved that repeated blunt force trauma to the head work well for making him punch drunk long enough to take out.

i can agree with that; again though, what does bats have nearly on that level though? your 02 thing is a good start as well, as long as you can draw something up on it. ive always assumed he could drown (he said as much in a Way issue a few years back) but another recent example claimed he couldn't, but that kinda bothers me because it makes him way too overpowered.

And don't even stand there and act like you don't find Batman having some sort of crazy batarang cuffs to be far too easy to believe.

oh, it's a deus-exy answer for sure, but again, i went & dug up his standard issue stuff but i don't think bat-fans like to talk about that because it takes away his ambiguous drywall power.

Or he could just get him into an adamantium box and pour the liquid shit on him until he asphyxiates. I'll admit there's some problem solving to be done, but we're talking about the guy who comes up with ways to take down every member of the Justice League in his spare time.

agreed (and i loved the JLA protocol stuff) but that couldve taken him years of planning. we're talking about a random street battle, no? i don't know how he's gonna form that plan on the go, much less have anything it required on hand like that adamantium box.

sidenote: Xavier had protocols too, :wolvy: 's was silly: "tactical nuke from a great distance, remove his head and run with it so it can't regrow"; yeah, shame we don't have a guy with a healing factor that can run up into ground zero and...oh, wait

Why can Wolverine bench half a ton? His mutant power (his ONLY mutant power) is his ability to regenerate from wounds (and I guess the claws are now, or maybe not I don't even know anymore.) Now I won't argue that technically that means he could make himself into Mr. Universe material in a diligent weekend of weightlifting, but half a ton? That's bullshit and whoever made that canon is a fucking idiot. He should be a human being in peak physical condition, just like Batman.

The Spider-Man thing, I don't know about that one. The thing with Spider-Man is, given the amount of strength he has, Spider-Man should be able to break a man's neck (if not just knock his whole head off) with one good square punch. However that's routinely not the case, he apparently pulls his punches a lot so I don't take him as a good barometer of what someone can take.

your 02 thing is a good start as well, as long as you can draw something up on it.

A plastic bag.

:troll:

If memory serves he carries some manner of glue bombs and I'm pretty sure a well-placed one right in the face would do the trick. I suppose he could do an emergency tracheotomy but I think it would throw him off long enough for Batman to do something to immobilize him a bit more or at least do something else to throw him off and just rinse and repeat until he can cuff him and then work on a more permanent solution. I would also imagine several grenades to the head-region (Batman does carry explosives) would be a good way of getting him heavily concussed. Smoke bombs in the nostrils/mouth would also go towards making him woozy as well.

The boomerang cuffs are a bit deus-exy but I would honestly be surprised if they didn't already exist. But again, he uses them against people like Killer Croc and Solomon Grundy so he's pretty experienced with getting close to enemies that will wreck his shit to use them.

From what I've gathered, the moment Batman meets someone he starts figuring out ways to ruin them just in case (and because he's a dick.) I could also argue that for these guys to fight they'd be in a shared universe and in a shared universe it's fair to say they'd be familiar with one another. But saying that there was just a worm-hole or some shit, Batman is as good if not better than Spider-Man when it comes to thinking on his feet in the heat of battle.

I don't think this would be an easy fight for Batman to win, but it wouldn't be for Wolverine either.

Also: I do think Bane could beat Cap, however he would need prep time as he's not much for thinking on his feet.