Hondo's Bar

Avengers animated

The NZA

It really never did happen in JL, no. Victories were hard-fought or hollow, and it was never a matter of "we're winning now," it's "this is how we got there."

And yes, I have other cartoons to watch, because I actually watch shows instead of staying tuned for two minutes, picking my nose, and then giggling.

I said that this show isn't better than Justice League. In terms of plot and character, it falls far short. I made a point to mention that this show isn't bad, but it varies, WILDLY. That first episode, where their backs were to the wall facing Kang's robots was going fine, up until they just smashed into the ships and broke things which somehow unstuck them from time, you know, that shit that isn't dying but technically is when you think about it. Then in the next episode, those same goddamn robots meant nothing. They ping-ponged back and forth. Even Kang's power level suddenly amped up. Worthless without his chair two episodes earlier? Fuck that noise, he's now a capable fighter without it.

You know what happened in Justice League, when an alien invasion was going full force? Batman had to crash the goddamn watchtower like a missile from space. Killed a bunch of folk in the process. Later became a plot point, which became another plot point. You know, the kind of shit you see when a story's being written with a goddamn plan in mind; where the idea is to build a universe instead of referencing a universe with a wink and a nod.

see, here we go: Avengers is built on years of comic mythos, but halfway through a season, you're content to say nothing's happened that won't be built on later.

moreover, when SOMEHOW GOD-TIER batman does the exact same thing you just bitched about the Avengers doing to take down Kang's network (as explained in the episode), you got complaints. i'm clearly admitting my marvel fanboy-ness (they've got better characters), but you, you're not wearing the cap and t-shirt like we agreed upon.

Smashing a control console to make bad things go bye-bye isn't the same as sacrificing your base of operations to ensure earth's safety. Something's being given up to win, it's not suddenly "things are different than they were seconds ago because we've got five minutes of show left." There's build-up, there's foreshadowing. Things just happen in this show.

waaaah JLA stuff has continuity, a show i watched a few episodes of doesnt seem to have this

Avengers Animated: 1 season so far

Justice League: 2 seasons building on prior DC animated stuff

JLU: 2 seasons building on JL

:hmm:

You're not even listening at this point! You're just going on about how I'm missing how awesome this show is without even caring a damn for how infantile the people handling the plot are.

So let's argue about other stupid things.

Kang can't even pronounce neanderthals right. it's TALS, not THALS, future king.

How come Wasp can pick up full sized people, but Ant Man shrinks himself so that she can carry him?

Why is it that robots which can regenerate suddenly can't without so much as a how's your mum?

Motherfucker talkin' about Deus Ex batman while praisin' I-have-a-suit-for-every-threat Stark.

Edited by Maldron

hard to enjoy my breakfast with you so determined to be wrong

Kang can't even pronounce neanderthals right. it's TALS, not THALS, future king.

grammar nazis are long since dead by the 41st century, thankfully. Kings pronounce things how they want!

How come Wasp can pick up full sized people, but Ant Man shrinks himself so that she can carry him?

it's a courtesy to make shit easier on her, since he knows she's prolly sore from all the beatings.*

*season 2, you'll prolly just read the wiki

Why is it that robots which can regenerate suddenly can't without so much as a how's your mum?

they disconnected from kang's server of comic-book-physics-are-you-really-asking-this-man-power.

Motherfucker talkin' about Deus Ex batman while praisin' I-have-a-suit-for-every-threat Stark.

you cant be serious! older stark in the books, maybe (even then the skrulls fucked his shit up). young stark here can barely seem to put shit together past financing. Steve tried to teach him to fight, a lesson he should've payed attention to considering how many beatings he took from the rest of the season. life is hard without a magical fix-all batbelt.

Both pronunciations of 'neanderthal' are considered acceptable. When neanderthal was first discovered in the 19th century, the Germans spelled it 'thal', though they always pronounced it as 'tal', and they later changed the spelling, but the scientific community says both pronunciations are ok. Link.

I didn't finish watching season 1, but my assessment was the that story was good, and bravo on getting right into the thick of it while trying to still do all the obligatory introductions for viewers that needed them. Cap was given a proper origin story (though condensed), but everyone else it just seemed as thrown at you in the middle of a whole lot of stuff going on, and that was really refreshing. That said, although the story was ambitious, the character interactions and performances were lacking both standing alone and if put alongside either JL series. For a fan of the Marvel Universe, the series relies on you already knowing and liking these characters, so you don't realize how flat they are here. If this was a brand new group of characters I was watching, I would not be drawn in, I would be a tad bored, but since I already know them, I can sit along for the ride based on impressions I had of the characters from years ago.

• 4 months later...

Finished watching season 1. Excellent show, and awesome cliffhanger for the next season. While I like both, there are many things I liked better about this show than JL or JLU. It was less episodic for sure. However, Kang's invasion was not as good Gordanian invasion in the 3-part 'Starcrossed' episode of JL (Nick if you want a good example of JL when it's at its best, watch that 3-parter, you don't need to watch 4 seasons of back story either).

Generally, I think I like Marvel heroes better because of how much Lee and Kirby wanted to promote science in them. So many Marvel heroes are scientists (Reed Richards, Hank Pym, Bruce Banner, Tony Stark, Peter Parker, not to mention the scientists on the X-Men). On JL, Batman is the closest thing they have to a scientist (if they had Barry Allen Flash, that would be one, but they have Wally West).

Edited by Reverend Jax

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Fans of the successful ongoing Avengers: Earth Mightiest Heroes TV Series are about to be disappointed. As my sources have confirmed to me, Jeph Loeb, the head of Marvel Animation studios, has cancelled the currently successful series in favor of a new Avengers Cartoon that will be produced by Marvel's newly acquired studio (MAS) and will be inline with and in the same universe as the currently airing Ultimate Spider-man cartoon.

My sources have also added that not to expect an official announcement until the fall, as Marvel does not want ratings to drop for the second season of Avengers Earth Mightiest Heroes which has just started on April 1st and is being met with a tremendous positive response.

Apparently, the initial plan of the new Avengers show consist of only self contained, standalone, episodes as opposed to story arcs, as Loeb has made it very clear that he dislikes TV show stories to run across several episodes. The new Show will be on air by Fall 2013.

The Avengers Earth Mightiest heroes is currently one of the most successful series on Disney XD, and was met with very positive response from fans of all ages. Unfortunately, much like the great Spectacular Spider-man series, the show will be cancelled in favor of a new cartoon that seems to be addressed to younger children like the currently, not so positively met, Ultimate Spider-man.

More insider news regarding Ultimate spider-man will follow in the next few days. Stay tuned on my Marveltv blog on comicbookmovie.com

Update:

I found the following Jeph Loeb qoutes from 2 interviews regarding a 3rd season for Avengers EMH:

SUPERHERO TOONIVERSE: The animated AVENGERS is finished, right? There’s no season three currently in production.

JEPH LOEB: I can only tell you that we’re committed to The Avengers universe and that’s as far as I can go.

A second interview from Toonzone had the below quote:

TOONZONE NEWS: In light how The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes started development before the Disney acquisition some years back and it was animated by another studio, will this be the final season of the show and will a new animated series be made instead?

JEPH LOEB: We have big plans for The Avengers.

TOONZONE NEWS: So do you think the show will get a third season?

JEPH LOEB: I can just tell you we have big plans for The Avengers and that's all I can tell you right now.

Both the above quotes makes it clear that Marvel is committed to the Avengers franchise on TV but not avengers earth Mightiest heroes. Which is in line with our sources, as there will be avengers on TV but not Avengers Earth Mightiest Heroes.

UPDATE 2:

I have also contacted both Joshua Fine and Chris Yost, writers and producers of Avengers Earth Mightiest heroes, and both confirmed to us that they have not heard anything about a 3rd season.

Me: Any chances avengers EMH would get a 3rd season?

Joshua Fine: I can't really answer that question as I don't know what conversations have happened there, in the year since I left Marvel.

Chris Yost: i am not involved in such decisions. i just write.

Update 4:

I found the below comment from Jeph Loeb to www.collider.com where Jeph basically confirms that Ultimate spider-man will not have over reaching arcs like Avengers and that was his decision:

LOEB: That’s certainly something that we’re talking about. Earth’s Mightiest Heroes has a tremendous following. One of the things that’s very unique about that show is that it was at a time prior to my coming in. It is a very serialized show, and there are a lot of characters. What we wanted to do with Spider-Man, and going forward, was to tell stories that are individualized. Obviously, we want everybody to watch the show every week, but we also know that people’s time is often taken. So, DVR the show, but if you’re not going to do that, the idea is that you will be able to catch up. I don’t ever want anybody to sit down on Sunday mornings at 11 o’clock and suddenly feel like, “Well, I lost the last three episodes, so I don’t really know what’s going on.” The only thing that is a two-parter is the pilot, which will actually be shown in its entirety on Sunday, April 1st.

It is also interesting to note that the second half of Avengers EMH season 2 will have only self contained episodes, since Jeph took control over marvel animation when only 13 episodes of season 2 we made, hence the second half of the season (the part under his helm) will contain only stand alone episodes.- WHAT THE FUCK!

michael-scott-no.gif

How's everyone liking this season? The heroes for hire ep was pretty sweet, but I'm just not feeling it like I was last season, the fights the drama, everything felt better last year. And the animation still sucks. Well, sucks is pretty strong, but it is decidedly average. Compare this to Young Justice or Korra and it's striking how bad it looks.

Still I hope it picks up soon, I loved Season 1, and I'm hoping this was just a slow start for the season. And PLEASE let Jewel show up

She's not showing up at all is she?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This season has been kicking butt. The article above said that the second half the season would be only self-contained episodes, but I just finished watching episode 17 of 26, and although the Skrull arc has wrapped up, the episodes have not been all self contained. They've been a little bit self-contained, but when a character goes missing one episode, you don't see him or her next episode. For example, Hulk was taken in by the General Ross and the Hulkbusters 8 episodes ago and he hasn't been back since. And this last episode I saw resolved a Ultron/The Vision story that they introduced 3 episodes prior, and even if it's less serialized than the first season and a half, it's still pretty damn excellent. Between this show, Young Justice and, of course, The Legend of Korra, Saturday morning cartoons are pretty good these days.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I just watched the season 2 finale, the last episode of Avengers before we get the Marvel equivalent of Watchmen Babies, courtesy of Jeph Loeb.

watchmen-babies.jpg

They introduced Galactus and had almost every hero who had made a cameo in the show's two seasons make an appearance. I can't find a complete list of the heroes that showed up, but I remember Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Black Panther, Hank Pym as Yellow Jacket, Wasp, Hawkeye, Ms Marvel, Vision, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Black Widow, the Fantastic Four, Doc Samson, Winter Soldier, War Machine. Nick Fury and Maria Hill were both absent, as well as some others (Beta Ray Bill was too busy to help out, I guess), but there were more heroes fighting than absent.

I wish they'd made the Galactus finale a 2 parter as it felt pretty rushed to have Galactus introduced, all the Avengers assemble, have them figure out what Galactus is, how to defeat him, and tied it all up nicely by the end of the episode, but it was solid second season. You had a great run Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I'm sad to see you go.

Edited by Reverend Jax

You mean the one with the New Avengers?

And do you mean you like to imagine it's the series finale as in you prefer to imagine the 3 episodes that came after it didn't exist at all, or you just wish the order was different? Because the Kree arc was great, in my opinion.

Edited by Reverend Jax

• 2 weeks later...