Hondo's Bar

"The Bag". A classy Hondos gaming discussion

Visitant

Alright Hondos, welcome to another round of "shit we discussed while drunk and gaming". I'm your host, Bindy. This weeks topic is "The bag". Allow me to first paint the scene for you before we go into the topic at hand.

Friday night, friends house. System: Modded X-box (1). Game: Knights of the Round (Arcade). Booze: A lot. (editors notes: This is as close to the discussion as I could remember)

Webb: "I really love this game and all but I really wish you could bag in it. I'd really just love to squat down and give that guy the Percival cock."

Me: "It's a great game on its own, solid game play and is really one of the greatest beat 'um ups ever made. Do you HAVE to [teabag] in it for it to be a good game?"

Webb: "No but the ability to bag can take even a crappy game and make it somewhat enjoyable, especially crappy online games."

Later we were playing Castlevania online on the 360 and he pointed out how the game was amazingly fun but the fact that you could "bag" a particularly hard boss post fighting him made the victory seem more satisfying.

My question to you is this: Does the ability visually/verbally insult your opponent in some form or fashion (teabag, talking smack) make a game better or more satisfying in some way, especially in the case of really poorly made games? Also, is this behavior limited to only human opponents or do you like to "humiliate" AI controlled characters also?

I enjoy humiliating the AI now and again. Dragging nude, partially dismembered bodies around in Fallout. Stuff like that. I remember in GTA 3 getting a real kick out of standing in the middle of the road and repeatedly hitting a corpse with a baseball bat for a comically long period of time. It stopped being funny, then it got funny again.

I've never been much into mocking other human beings, outside of air juggling a long dead foe in a fighting game or something.

I don't think it has ever been a factor in my enjoyment of a game.

Yeah, I don't go to GameStop and when they're all like, 'would you like to pre-order any titles while you're here' and I'm all like, 'wait, can you teabag the AI in that game?' And they're like, 'yes, as a matter of fact, you can!' I'm all like, 'SOLD!'

depends on the player, i guess. i think taunts in fighting games are fun, but the 2 shooters i played online the most this gen were Resistance and Team Fortress 2, neither of which allow for this - still, when someone shit-talks on the mic too much, sure it'd be satisfying to bag them, but it's way, way better to just gun for them and let your score speak for itself...though after the 3rd or so time of taking a d-bag out, its also way too hard to not do something like apologize to rub it in. this only happened to me once or twice, but god, the raging on the other end made it worth it.

Sometimes after you kill a guy you're so hacked off all you can do is rub your nutts on him...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfC69UMQLeQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfC69UMQLeQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfC69UMQLeQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I've been asking around to various people IRL about this question. My co-worker feels some games are far better suited to shit-talking like DOTA (The Warcraft III mod) or League of Legends. Those games are well known for not being very "noob" friendly in that, if you don't take the time to learn your respective characters in those game then you deserve the verbal bashing you get. He does not feel EVERY game warrants shit talking.

I sometimes catch myself yelling and insulting bosses in video games. (Fuck you DMC3 Virgil, fuck you.)

True, I didn't bring up the point of gesturing or yelling profanity at the AI controlled boss simply because I had lumped all those action into a generic "insult" category. I will try and be more specific in the future. While I don't find it necessary to "talk shit" to the AI, the occasional celebratory profanity is very cathartic.

Archived