Hondo's Bar

thread of infinite sadness

The NZA

It really is. The cat trying to wake up his friend kills me, especially as it gets more and more frantic.

Shep

Shep was the name given to a herding dog that appeared at the Great Northern Railway station one day in 1936 in Fort Benton, Montana. The dog first appeared at the station when a casket was being loaded on a train heading to the eastern USA. When the train left, the dog kept coming back to the station for every incoming train after that.

It took station employees some time to realize that the body in the casket was probably Shep's master, and Shep was showing up for each incoming train to see if his master would be getting off. The station employees took care of Shep and he lived in and around the station, becoming well-known to everyone who passed through.

A few years into his time at the station, Shep and his story was featured in Ripley's Believe It or Not!.

Shep kept this daily vigil for almost six years until his death on January 12, 1942 when he was run over by the next train he was waiting for. It is believed that his front paws were on one of the rails and he simply did not hear the train until it was too late, and he slipped off of the rail. The train's engineer could not stop the train in time.

A few days later, Shep's funeral was attended by nearly everyone in Fort Benton. "Eulogy on the Dog", though written for another dog, was read at the funeral. His grave was placed on a hillside overlooking the town, where it remains to this day.

Right you are Tupil. Hillsdale specifically.

I found this article.

Doug Baxter, a “homeless” man who made a home under the Bertha viaduct, was discovered dead on Monday, Dec. 13. His body was beneath a pile of blankets in the shallow depression that served as his bed.

He is believed to have died of pneumonia.

Purnima Prasad, who works in an office next to the bridge, said Baxter had probably been dead at least a week. Neighbors who had come to know him over his two decades in Hillsdale, continued to leave money and food on top of the blanket pile, thinking that he was simply asleep.

Friends have left tributes.

Now they are leaving written tributes and flowers to the friendly man they knew simply as “Doug.”

A black feral cat, who snarled at everyone, made an exception for Doug. The two became friends. Next to where Doug’s body was found, the cat left “gifts” of dead mice and a mauled rat.

Michael Bissell said cat and man seemed to treat each other as a “sort of feral companions.”

Bissell, who employs Prasad as a designer, was Doug’s nearest neighbor and had known Doug for the four years he lived under the bridge. Bissell is the president of a small web site development firm, Conquent. He and Prasad work out of a squat bungalow next to the old bridge.

“Doug drank a lot so he couldn’t go to a shelter. He was really harmless but he didn’t make sense all of the time,” said Bissell.

“He seemed to be happy under the bridge. He was so far from our day-to-day world it was hard to know what he wanted.”

Still, Doug was always appreciative of help. People would drop off cans for him to recycle. A few acquaintances brought money or contributed to an account for him at the nearby Caffe Autogrill coffee shop. One couple left two jackets for him early this winter. Later, in the cold, they saw him wearing both jackets at once to fight off the chill.

Doug had lived in the neighborhood for 20 years, said Bissell. Before settling in under the bridge, he lived in a hole in the Frisbee field next to the Greater Portland Bible Church. When the church bought the land, Doug was forced to leave, said Bissell.

Living under the bridge, Doug would also be “evicted” now and then by the police, but would later return.

Bissell estimated that Doug was in his mid-40s and survived by on the generosity of neighbors and by recycling bottles and cans at the Burlingame Fred Meyer, where he was something of a fixture.

Bissell has written movingly about Doug, before and after Doug’s death. You can read his thoughts about Doug in two blog posts. One is about Doug’s life; the other is about his death. A copy of Bissell’s memorial tribute, now posted on the bridge (see photos), is found in the second blog.

A week. That's some sad shit.

Mother bear kills cub and then itself

The Chinese media has reported on an extraordinary account of a mother bear saving her cub from a life of torture by strangling it and then killing itself.

The bears were kept in a farm located in a remote area in the North-West of China. The bears on the farm had their gall bladders milked daily for 'bear bile,' which is used as a remedy in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).

It was reported that the bears are kept in tiny cages known as 'crush cages', as the bears have no room to manoeuvre and are literally crushed.

The bile is harvested by making a permanent hole or fistula in the bears' abdomen and gall bladder.

As the hole is never closed, the animals are suspect to various infections and diseases including tumours, cancers and death from peritonitis.

The bears are fitted with an iron vest, as they often try to kill themselves by hitting their stomach as they are unable to bear the pain.

A person who was on the farm in place of a friend witnessed the procedures and told Reminbao.com that they were inhumane.

The witness also claimed that a mother bear broke out its cage when it heard its cub howl in fear before a worker punctured its stomach to milk the bile.

The workers ran away in fear when they saw the mother bear rushing to its cub's side.

Unable to free the cub from its restraints, the mother hugged the cub and eventually strangled it.

It then dropped the cub and ran head-first into a wall, killing itself.

Many TCM practitioners have denounced the use of bear bile in their treatment as there are cheaper herbs and synthetics that can be used in its place.

Bear bile is traditionally used to remove 'heat' from the body as well as treat high fever, liver ailments and sore eyes.

Fuck China. Fuck it right in it's fucking eye.

Pregnant Pacifica woman killed by family pit bull

ba-Darla_Napora_0503937631.jpg

(08-11) 20:19 PDT PACIFICA -- A pregnant Pacifica woman was mauled and killed by a family pit bull Thursday inside her home and discovered by her husband when he returned from work.

Darla Napora, 32, was found by her husband at their house at 588 Reina del Mar around noon, said Capt. Dave Bertini, a Pacifica police spokesman.

Greg Napora told police that he arrived home to find one of the couple's two pit bulls standing over his wife's body. He was able to get the dog into the backyard before police arrived a few moments later.

Attempts to revive Darla Napora were unsuccessful, and she was pronounced dead at the scene.

While the investigation was under way, Bertini said, the 2-year-old male dog got loose from the yard. Police fired three shots at the pit bull, killing it.

The family's second pit bull was not believed to have been involved in the attack, but was removed as a precaution by the Peninsula Humane Society, which provides animal control services for San Mateo County.

By late afternoon police had left the scene and the house sat quiet, the front door slightly open. The only visible evidence of the horrific episode was a trail of drying blood from the front door to the gravel driveway.

Neighbor Kathy Carlson, 63, saw the distraught husband outside the house before the police arrived.

"He was in the driveway all frantic, yelling," said Carlson, who lives across from the white single-story home that the Naporas began renting last winter. "He had blood on his hands, blood on his shirt and blood down his pants."

Residents and visitors to the quiet block struggled to make sense of what had occurred.

"They are not barking dogs. They seemed friendly," Carlson said of the two pit bulls owned by the Naporas. "I have a pit also, and he's an absolute angel. It's just really sad."

A former neighborhood resident on the scene wasn't nearly so sympathetic to the presence of pit bulls.

"I'm scared to death of them," said Jeni Viny, 59, in Pacifica for a high school reunion. Viny, of Nashville, Tenn., recalled being at a dog obedience class where a four-month-old pit bull began attacking other dogs in the room. "I hate them."

The death of Darla Napora was not the first case in the Bay Area where pit bulls have killed members of the families that owned them.

In 2010, 2-year-old Jacob Bisbee was attacked by three dogs in his step-grandfather's Concord garage. The owner, Steven Hayashi, has since been charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Five years earlier saw the death of Nicholas Faibish, 12, who was mauled by his family's pit bulls in San Francisco after his mother left them alone in the house with her son, who had a learning disability.

The most notorious mauling case locally involved Diane Whipple, a 33-year-old lacrosse coach at St. Mary's College who was killed in her Pacific Heights apartment building by a 120-pound Presa Canario. The dogs were owned by attorneys Marjorie Knoller and Robert Noel, each of whom served prison time as a result of the death. Knoller is still in prison.

San Francisco passed a law in 2005 that pit bulls owned by city residents must be spayed or neutered. The dog found with Darla Napora had not been neutered, police said.

Approximately 92% of fatal dog attacks involved male dogs, 94% of which were not neutered

Approximately 25% of fatal dog attacks involved chained dogs

Approximately 24% of human deaths involved unrestrained dogs off of their owners’ property

Approximately 58% of human deaths involved unrestrained dogs on their owners’ property

Un-neutered dogs are more than 2.6 times more likely to bite than neutered dogs

Chained dogs are 2.8 times more likely to bite.

Approximately 92% of fatal dog attacks involved male dogs, 94% of which were not neutered

That's a pretty staggering statistic. I would support an "Over 10 lbs = No Balls without a permit" law.

As sad as the main topic of that story was, I was also bummed out that the innocent bystander dog is most likely going to be put to sleep for this as well.

I imagine it in another room with it's head under a pillow while it's roomate flips the fuck out on Food Lady.

• Upvote 1

yeah, i hate stuff like that. i was honestly thrown off by the figures too - i was also reading the psych effects of chaining a dog (often heightens aggression, as they've no escape), so kids that a dog's normally friendly with can get attacked when it's chained. i never would've thought of that.

Hey little buddy, I know we've been through some rough times, but I went so far as to create an internet persona so I could be close to you.

I know it doesn't make up for all the important things I've missed in your life, but I want you to know that I care. I only left because your mom gives bad head. Someday I hope you'll understand.

baby killer has throat cut in prison

A SADISTIC dad who sexually abused, tortured and murdered his baby girl has had his throat slashed in prison.

Andrew Randall, 37, screamed in agony as he was also stabbed in both eyes by a fellow lag.

Warders stepped in just in time to save his life.

A source said: "Attempts to attack notorious prisoners are normally nipped in the bud, but someone got lucky.

The source added: "It's not clear what he was attacked with. But prisoners have used razor blades and filed-down plastic cutlery in the past."

Randall, of Kettering, Northants, was jailed for a whole life term in 2007 for murdering seven-week-old Jessica.

He molested her, stamped on her chest, choked her and dropped her.

A Prisons spokeswoman said: "HMP Long Lartin manages dangerous prisoners daily and such events are rare.

"The bravery and speedy response of staff ensured the incident was dealt with swiftly and effectively."

FuturamaIWantOffThisPlanet.jpg