Hondo's Bar

thread of infinite sadness

The NZA

loyaldog.jpg

Jon Tumilson, a Navy SEAL, was one of 30 Americans killed in Afghanistan on Aug. 6 when a rocket-propelled grenade took out a U.S. Chinook helicopter. He was mourned at a service in Rockford, Iowa, attended by 1,500 family members, friends--and Hawkeye, Tumilson's dog. The Labrador retriever was such an important part of Tumilson's life that the friends and family of the San Diego resident called the dog his "son."

When Tumilson's friend Scott Nichols walked to the front of the room to speak, Hawkeye followed, Today.com reports. "As Nichols prepared to memorialize his friend, Hawkeye dutifully laid down near the casket," Scott Stump writes.

A video clip of the mourning dog

. KIMT-TV of Mason City, Iowa, covered the funeral.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://jezebel.com/5841613/pet-photographer-says-better-photos-save-shelter-dogs-lives

Pet Photographer Says Better Photos Save Shelter Dogs’ Lives

Teresa Berg of Dallas, Texas is a professional pet photographer who specializes in glamour shots for shelter dogs. She believes that thousands of dogs are euthanized every year simply because the photos posted on adoption sites show them in a cage, looking like they're thinking about biting your three-year-old. Several years ago, she started volunteering to retake dogs' photos for a dachshund rescue group, and now she encourages other professional photographers to donate their services and teaches shelter employees to take more appealing pet photos.

Edited by Bindusara

Maybe it should go in the comic section but this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We3

250px-We3.jpg

The story follows the journey of We3, a squad of three prototype "animal weapons," as they flee captivity. The group consists of a dog, "Bandit" a.k.a. "1"; a cat, "Tinker" a.k.a. "2"; and a rabbit, "Pirate" a.k.a. "3", who were all kidnapped from a nearby city and encased in robotic armor. They were also given a limited ability to speak through skull implants. Their body armor fields numerous weapons, including mine laying devices, machine guns and razor claws.

It has been implied by Grant Morrison that We3 (Weapons II, III, IV) were actually part of the Weapon Plus Program that created Captain America - Weapon I, Wolverine - Weapon X, and Fantomex - Weapon XIII.

We3 meet and overcome numerous hazards on their flight to freedom, as they are pursued by the full might of the military, including other engineered animal weapons. They also encounter civilians, with varying reactions.

Fuck the weapon plus part. This book is like homeward bound with robotics. This shit is fucking sad and if you don't even get a little depressed by reading it you have no soul.

Edited by Bindusara

• 2 weeks later...

and now a contrast to my thread of joy post

TO THE driver of the sedan: I thought you might be interested to know the outcome of your actions at 7pm last Sunday.

Needless to say, while you thought what you were doing affected only you and your dog, the after-effects continue to reverberate in waves of sadness, grief and shock for many of us.

My learner-driver daughter saw you push your dog from your car, pulled over on the side of Eumundi-Noosa Road. You probably thought no one would notice. I only wish I had thought to notice more and take down your licence details.

But we all saw you pull out in front of us without indicating and leave your bewildered, frightened dog in the half light in an unfamiliar place.

It was at my 17-year-old daughter's request that we turned around a moment later, to see if we could help your dog, to keep him safe, to let him know not all humans are as cold and heartless as you had just shown yourself to be.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Web closing on dead dog's cruel owner

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

We pulled to the side of the road near your frantic pet.

My husband, daughter and I all got out of the car, torch in hand, calling to your terrified, beautiful dog as it weaved and ran in the direction that your tail lights had taken. A dog's love is as unconditional as it is sometimes misplaced, it seems.

My daughter and husband were right there when your dog ran in front of a car, driven by a young man.

He became another unwilling victim of your dreadful act.

My animal-loving daughter's heart broke as she heard two bangs and a whimper - the sounds of your dog's death.

She will never forget that and I know that a part of her will never be the same.

Are you starting to see the ripple effect now?

Can you see that your decision to dump a living creature on the side of the road hurt more than just him?

I can't pretend to know what would make a person do something so cruel as to dump a pet.

Maybe your dog was too demanding or too much responsibility. Maybe you just got sick of him.

But to leave him alone in the dark, in a strange place where cars fly by at 80km/h, is inhuman, illogical and callous. It could only have ended in tears.

We didn't know your healthy-looking, beautiful dog. But we are traumatised at his loss. My daughter and I have cried buckets for this creature and the way he died.

I witnessed the five minutes he lived after you drove away. I saw him running, scared. I arrived as he lay dying on the roadside and I was with him, patting him, as he died.

That he did not die alone is small consolation. At the end, at least he knew the love of a caring human's touch.

My husband's hands were covered in your beautiful dog's blood as he carried him off the road so that at least he would not suffer the indignity of being hit by more cars and so more drivers would not be traumatised by running over his corpse.

The young man whose car hit your dog was shattered. Unlike you, he had no choice in the situation in which he was placed. He said he had two border collies at home and his emotional distress at taking a life so similar to his beloved pets was palpable.

Another young driver pulled over to see if he could help. He was with your dog, too, when he breathed his last. He was kind to him, there in the dark. He was supportive and tender.

The kindness of these two men is a silent reminder that for every person like you, there are more like them.

Are you getting it? Do you see how much trauma dumping your sentient, human-centred possession caused?

Humans have an extraordinary relationship with dogs - closer than with any other animal. But while we "own" them, they are not like other things we own.

The rule is that they must be loved. They must be cared for. You can't just throw them out, like a fast food wrapper from your car window. You broke that rule and we all paid.

If you really had to dispose of your pet, you could have waited until the morning, when the RSPCA shelter just up the road was open. At least they could have had the chance to try to find him a new home. At least they could have offered him some care and affection. At least he might have had a chance to live.

Maybe you did not deserve to have such a beautiful dog in the first place, but he certainly did not deserve what you did to him.

I have to wonder which one is more of an animal.

f0Hnu.jpg

The night before the burial of her husband 2nd Lt. James Cathey of the United States Marine Corps, killed in Iraq, Katherine Cathey refused to leave the casket, asking to sleep next to his body for the last time. The Marines made a bed for her, tucking in the sheets below the flag. Before she fell asleep, she opened her laptop computer and played songs that reminded her of "Cat", and one of the Marines asked if she wanted them to continue standing watch as she slept.

" I think it would be kind of nice if you kept doing it" she said. " I think that's what he would have wanted".

That was 7 years ago, and we're still balls deep in the same old shit.

• 2 weeks later...

The woman who finally saved the infant has been driven out of her home by public hatred.

China seems to have become so utilitarian that it can’t understand or even tolerate people who do things for altruistic reasons. The penniless scrap peddler rescued Wang Yue not because she was internally doing a cost-benefit analysis in her head or anticipating the material rewards of doing so (as some Chinese have accused her of doing), but because it was the right thing to do.

Why is altruism such an alien fucking concept?

This world needs saving, and you're all lucky that I'm on the brink of attaining super powers and that I already have a plan in place. Spend it while ya can, chumps.

Awwww man what the fuck? We a need a thread of infinite rage cause that shit is infuriating.

and I told myself "NO, you are not going in there to see what has been posted. It's the thread of infinite sadness for christ sake and that new post if form ThegoddamnLogan so the sadness will be multiplied ten fold if you so much as click that thread. This isn't gonna some shit about orphans or dog kennels, JUST WALK AWAY."

and what the fuck did I do?

1897134.jpg

Edited by axel_napalm

FUCK YOU FOR THAT SHIT SARAH MCLACHLAN! Coming in like a fucking ninja and ruining a perfectly good Sunday afternoon.

FUCK. YOU.

WTF? Parents still do this shit in this country? Is this a religious thing? I thought this was only in bad after school specials, poor neighborhoods with angry step fathers and/or the 1950's.

Edited by Thelogan

• 3 weeks later...